Flathead
Knife
Knife

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Flathead »

FransT wrote:
Flathead wrote:Reality comes crashing in like shadows into the night:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 40601.html

But what's blindingly clear is that, without the sparking creativity of a Syd or Roger, all that's left is ghastly faux-psychedelic dinner-party muzak.

One star.

Out of 18 ratings on Rate Your Music, a 2.19 rating.

It seems, so far, that there's the album as it actually is, and the fantasy-veiled album die hard Floyd fans want the album to be.
Again a brutally honest review.
When music is mediocre, it's mediocre..

I think that's why I'm so worked up about this release. The Pink Floyd fanatic in me wants this album to be a masterpiece. I hear the released songs, and engage in various rationalizations such as" it's not meant to challenge the classics" or "it's a tribute to Rick Wright", etc. Yet the other part of me is someone who is a music freak, who listens and buys new albums from newer bands annually, while at the same time adoring the classics. This part of me is Mr. Objective, looking at the record without the rationalizations and prejudices of wanting it to work so badly.

In the end, the only thing that matters is the music. Does it hold up? Is it passionate? Is the idea conveyed clearly?
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Based on the recent news that The Endless River is now the most pre-ordered album in Amazons history, let's do a quick sweep;-

Have you pre-ordered (is there anybody left who hasn't !)?

what did you order ?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

A 60, 50, and 20 at Metacritic so far.

Wow.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/the-end ... pink-floyd
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

FransT wrote:
Flathead wrote:Reality comes crashing in like shadows into the night:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 40601.html

But what's blindingly clear is that, without the sparking creativity of a Syd or Roger, all that's left is ghastly faux-psychedelic dinner-party muzak.

One star.

Out of 18 ratings on Rate Your Music, a 2.19 rating.

It seems, so far, that there's the album as it actually is, and the fantasy-veiled album die hard Floyd fans want the album to be.
Again a brutally honest review.
When music is mediocre, it's mediocre..
you have only heard 3 songs i'm guessing so to say the entire album is mediocre is laughable.

What is mediocre is your comments in here slating an album which you have not heard in full. Oh right your a negative nancy who still lives in 1985 with your hate on anything Post waters floyd.

Thats mediocre That reviewer is CLEARLY not a Pink Floyd fan are you gonna rate and believe every negative review said about the album without listening too it yourself??.

Critics talk crap anyway unless they are fans of the artist at end of the day. Who ever believes anything a critic says on an album or movie really needs to think for themselves on what they like and don't like.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

azza200 wrote: That reviewer is CLEARLY not a Pink Floyd fan
Why does that matter in a music review? I want objective reviews.

Weird.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Flathead wrote:Is the idea conveyed clearly?
For the idea to be conveyed clearly there has to be a clear idea in the first place. What is this album anyway? Is this a new album or an album of old recordings, is it Pink Floyd for the 21st century or a nostalgia act? Most of all, is it a tribute to Rick Wright or is it Rick Wright's swansong, because it can't be both? I have a feeling that the fact that everything we know about the concept is so vague isn't a result of the promotion campaign but rather lack of clear idea what the album is supposed to be.

While I still don't think it will be really bad, expecting a masterpiece would be completely unrealistic, to say the least. The reason TER is setting new records in pre-sales is just the fact that it's a new record from one of the most influential bands of all time after twenty years of studio silence. It's how long it stays in the charts that might be a better indicator of how good it really is in contemporary circumstances.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Lukewarm review from a source that should be gushing about The Endless River:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-flo ... ess-river/

These guys heap praise on even the most bland legacy acts.
duffOnTheRun
Axe
Axe

Post by duffOnTheRun »

For non-UK resident, here David Gilmour interview at Later with Jools Holland on November 4th:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=939364332760436

short but interesting.
David said "...the four of us" about the band history. Nice.
julsunny
Embryo
Embryo

Post by julsunny »

I'm sorry for interrupting the discussion but i have recently read a Nick Mason's interview for die Welt and he states there that he's going to meet Roger in New York and listen to TER together with the former bandmate. I have no idea if it was just another joke or not, but the statement itself sounds amusing.
http://www.welt.de/kultur/pop/article13 ... nnern.html

By the way, yet another strange promo video coming possibly from Warner. Still wondering why it is in Spanish only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaeNo9ZgGnk

Thanks duffOnTheRun, this show was too late for my time zone and so i'm gonna watch it now!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
azza200 wrote: That reviewer is CLEARLY not a Pink Floyd fan
Why does that matter in a music review? I want objective reviews.

Weird.
and ironically you yourself are anything but objective. Hence glossing over any positive review to go creaming yourself over any negative one. "I want this album to be a masterpiece". yeah sure you do, and I want to contract Ebola.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

It's a bit sad really. The 'I told you so' posts are already arriving before the album has been released. Throughout this thread I've been a bit puzzled by the agendas of some of the posters with their negative comments (while I appreciate this is a board for discussion). It's a bit of a mixture - ie 'Pink Floyd should have disbanded after Syd', 'Pink Floyd should have disbanded after Roger', 'It's just for the cash' :lol:, 'It's damaging the legacy', 'Dave is a control freak', 'Nick is a useless wanker' etc etc. What's all that about? Let's get things straight. Hudini put his finger on the button about 'not expecting a masterpiece'. Are any of us? Were Dave and Nick promising us that? We all know the answers. And that brings me back to the negative posts. This album is for hard core Pink Floyd fans, of which I count myself as one, and you obviously are not. Nobody is forcing you to listen to it.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Suppose it's to be expected when you start to see people criticizing David's use of his guitar's and the band members ear for a good mix. It's not as if they've done it professionally and made themselves millionaires off of doing it for more than 40 years.

It's just bitterness, it wouldn't even bother me if they'd just admit they want it to tank and that their loyalties lie solely with Roger, instead of pretending they don't and then rejoicing at the sight of any negative review.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Anything wrong with defending what you like about The Endless River rather than attacking those who don't like what they've heard?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Down the line, when everyone will have comforted their little ego in the certainty that "it sucks" or that "it's good", the people putting seemingly huge amounts of energy slashing this album to pieces will have lost a precious time that would have been better spent with something positive i.e. getting laid for once. For the ones who will appreciate the album for what it is (I hope to be pleasantly susprised but I'll reserve judgement for when I've heard it several times), well, it's gonna be a win/win situation.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

So the skeptical music listeners aren't getting laid?

How sophomoric.
For the ones who will appreciate the album for what it is
That's a big rationalization.