New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Wolfpack »

Flathead wrote:Anything wrong with defending what you like about The Endless River rather than attacking those who don't like what they've heard?
Apparently, it's easier to attack critical people than to defend this new Pink Floyd album. :lol:

However, what gets ignored is the criticism of Mason and Gilmour themselves. [-X

Even after some time and quite hard work by Andy Jackson, Mason and Gilmour were "still unmoved".
Gilmour "didn't want to spend much time on it".
And then it took involvement from Phil Manzanera and Martin Glover (Youth),
and some new Mason drum parts, to get Gilmour involved in the project.
See: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... r-20141031

In another interview, I think the "EPK" one,
Gilmour talks about having a lower quality standard for releasing this album.

And nevertheless the crowd goes: "Hurray! A new Pink Floyd album!"
It could have been a scene from the movie 'The Wall". :lol:
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Flathead wrote:So the skeptical music listeners aren't getting laid?

How sophomoric.
Skeptical is a euphemism here - some people sound like they MUST convince the naive souls that this album cannot be good. Talk about a sophomoric attitude.
Other than that, my aside might have been sophomoric but still, prostate cancer is a plague.
Flathead wrote:
For the ones who will appreciate the album for what it is
That's a big rationalization.
Well, it says what it wants to say, really. In opposition to "Hating the album for what you haven't heard from it yet".
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wolfpack wrote:
Flathead wrote:Anything wrong with defending what you like about The Endless River rather than attacking those who don't like what they've heard?
Apparently, it's easier to attack critical people than to defend this new Pink Floyd album. :lol:

However, what gets ignored is the criticism of Mason and Gilmour themselves. [-X

Even after some time and quite hard work by Andy Jackson, Mason and Gilmour were "still unmoved".

Sorry to embarrass you, but how could we defend it when we haven't heard it? Think that's partly the problem here, you and one or two others are practically wet at the sight of a negative review, you seem to take any negative review as gospel, flathead proclaiming them "brutally honest", how the hell does he know if they're honest at all?! and all this over an album none of us have heard yet.

Though to be fair to some of you, you wasted no time being critical of just about every aspect of the tracks released so far. I don't know what Gilmour's doing messing around with Phil Taylor and his pro sound engineers when he could have hired flathead to tell him what rig he should be using and what he should be playing :lol:

Away and listen to Radio KAOS and give us all peace.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Wolfpack wrote:
Apparently so.

Ouch!
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:how could we defend it when we haven't heard it?
We've all heard the criticized samples on Facebook, and the fully-released songs.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

mastaflatch wrote:"Hating the album for what you haven't heard from it yet".
No, it's disliking the audio which has already been released as a teaser. [-X
kjek1 wrote:Sorry to embarrass you, but how could we defend it when we haven't heard it? Think that's partly the problem here, you and one or two others are practically wet at the sight of a negative review, you seem to take any negative review as gospel, flathead proclaiming them "brutally honest", how the hell does he know if they're honest at all?! and all this over an album none of us have heard yet.

Though to be fair to some of you, you wasted no time being critical of just about every aspect of the tracks released so far. I don't know what Gilmour's doing messing around with Phil Taylor and his pro sound engineers when he could have hired flathead to tell him what rig he should be using and what he should be playing :lol:

Away and listen to Radio KAOS and give us all peace.
Am I "practically wet at the sight of a negative review"? :lol:
I'm just reminding people of the criticism which Mason and Gilmour have expressed themselves.
Would you call that "any negative review"?

And I guess the reviewers already have heard the album.

I am critical about the audio which has been released so far as teasers.
Teasers are meant to get people excited about an upcoming release.
Well, sorry for being such a terribly evil, bad, naughty person for not really liking those teasers. :P

'Radio KAOS'? I've heard parts of that Waters album when it was new, considering buying it.
But the album didn't get me really excited and I bought an old Pink Floyd album instead.
And I did buy Gilmour Floyd's album 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', at the time.
So, the truth is much more balanced than how you try to make it appear.

People who would know me, would advice me to listen to Syd Barrett's work.
That's the chapter of Pink Floyd's history which I like the most. \:D/
I find the extended 'Tonight Let's All Make Love'-version of 'Interstellar Overdrive'
and, from the same session, 'Nick's Boogie' much, much better
than any of the teasers I've heard of 'The Endless River'.
Gilmour admired Barrett's talent in composing melodies out of nowhere.
And listen, how inspired Wright sounds during those sessions. \:D/
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

These same m*therf**king critics give Britney Spears, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry's last albums 4/5 star reviews. Floyd have not ever been a critical favorite! I've heard plenty to order the CD (three copies I may add all on Monday, maybe Saturday), the CD/Blu-Ray (which will be at my house on Monday) and will buy on VINYL soon!

Don't let those Roger Waters nutswingers dissuade those of us who want to buy this album! I think Roger's songs and projects post-In the Flesh Live have all ABSOLUTELY SUCKED! Flickering Flame was boring, Lost Boys Calling Demo was horrible (glad it was re-recorded with Eddie Van Halen who was the best part of the song IMHO), To Kill a Child/Leaving Beirut single was BORING! Ca Ira was awful! Hello I Love You was boring! We Shall Overcome was uninspired! Then the song from Heartland is just BORING! I'm a hardcore Floyd fan and am not afraid to bash things Roger did on his own!
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

These same m*therf**king critics give Britney Spears, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry's last albums 4/5 star reviews. Floyd have not ever been a critical favorite! I've heard plenty to order the CD (three copies I may add all on Monday, maybe Saturday), the CD/Blu-Ray (which will be at my house on Monday) and will buy on VINYL soon!

Don't let those Roger Waters nutswingers dissuade those of us who want to buy this album! I think Roger's songs and projects post-In the Flesh Live have all ABSOLUTELY SUCKED! Flickering Flame was boring, Lost Boys Calling Demo was horrible (glad it was re-recorded with Eddie Van Halen who was the best part of the song IMHO), To Kill a Child/Leaving Beirut single was BORING! Ca Ira was awful! Hello I Love You was boring! We Shall Overcome was uninspired! Then the song from Heartland is just BORING! I'm a hardcore Floyd fan and am not afraid to bash things Roger did on his own!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

So funny, and ridiculous, how Waters again and again is (mis)used as being some sort of enemy. :lol:

The Holy Mr. Gilmour can do no wrong at all.
Because if you think The Holy Mr. Gilmour is wrong, you must be a "Waters nutswinger". :lol:

Mason expressed criticism on the material that is used for 'The Endless River'.
Gilmour talked about a lower quality standard.
Maybe Mason and Gilmour are "Waters nutswingers", too? :lol:

The more people try to lure away the discussion into Waters hatred and attacking critical people,
the more it's clear to me, that deep in their hearts, they know 'The Endless River' won't be a classic.

It's interesting how the album gets defended by calling Mason and Gilmour old people.
Old people of which we can't expect very much.
Which such a fan attitude an artist doesn't need critical reviewers. :lol:
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Two fresh video interviews with Nick Mason:
1. November 4, 2014 - Time: 17:01
2. November 3, 2014 - Time: 24:49
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

JB HiFi in Australia aren't getting stock of the Blu-ray edition until next Friday now.

Really bummed out, wanted to test the 5.1 now that I've got it set up again.

Also I finally found Prog magazine in Australia, looks like they express shipped some over this week.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Thanks for the interviews Hadrian. The spanish promo is weird and has an added verse or some other lyrics compared to the preview. I didn't start the german yet but thinking its a translation of some
Other english one?
No success at the record store ywt. One said they'd call me. I'll try again tomorrow as shipments are coming in. Bummer on Australian atock in the dvd
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mastaflatch wrote:some people sound like they MUST convince the naive souls that this album cannot be good
The same goes for most of the reviews I've read so far. Half of those are trying real hard to convince the future listeners that the album is not good simply because it's made up from old material while the other half tries too hard to convince them that it's excellent simply because it's Pink Floyd. However, both kinds of reviews seem to forget the fact that we all have our own individual tastes and that I might think of something as bullshit while someone else may think of it as classic, and vice versa.

What we have heard so far is nothing spectacular, but it's also nowhere near bullshit. Pink Floyd themselves have made far worse music before, even with and without Roger Waters, and their albums were always hard to judge by standout tracks. Some of their best-selling albums (I'm deliberately refraining from calling them "best") have weaker spots, but still make a satisfactory whole.

Just imagine judging 'The Wall' as a full album only according to 'Goodbye Cruel World', 'Vera', 'Stop' and 'Outside The Wall'. It has to be all bullshit, right?
julsunny
Embryo
Embryo

Post by julsunny »

According to some weird Kazakhstan news resource, there is going to be a music video for LTW filmed on the Aral Sea. The video will include rusty old ships and possibly some locals. It's going to be published on Pink Floyd youtube channel on November 15.

The interview for die Welt isn't a translation, i suppose, because of tons of questions about Berlin Wall, Floyd concerts in West Berlin etc. (Fall of the Wall anniversary coming)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

The journey begins...