New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The endless River'

Post by hazchem »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Mr. Jambo's post was clearly in jest.
Oh, I see.

I didn't get the joke.

Sorry.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Perhaps lighten up a bit. Its only the internet. 8)
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

OK cheers Dad.

I'll go and be.....a terrible album then.

Gotcha. :-;
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

How anyone could possibly think that was an insult is beyond me. It worked as neither a joke or an insult, but certainly not a personal attack. Poor Jambo.

Back to the new album. I am reading more and more comments from Nick saying it will be mostly instrumental/ambient. I am wondering how well that is going to go down. There were hints of the ambient stuff on Division Bell such as Cluster One. I'm curious if the majority of the album will be stuff like that. I'm hoping for a teaser of some sort within the next month or so.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

I never said that it was an insult, I said that I hoped that it wasn't one. Since you don't seem to understand what the comment meant then how can you expect anyone else to? BTW, a personal attack can be mental as well as physical so saying in one sentence that it didn't work as an insult but then saying that it was certainly not a personal attack is a bit contradictive. I'm curious as to what your affiliation is with Jambo anyway, can he not speak for himself or is this some sort of 'can of worms' that you are attempting to spring open where at some point I'll get the blame because I'm not 'one of the boys' around here? Perhaps you should keep your nose out and let people fend for themselves?

And yes, back to the point.....

I'm a bit worried that there might be too much instrumental stuff on the album. DB was a great album and I'd rather that they finished on a high as opposed to releasing something that doesn't cut the mustard. I'd happily take 50% instrumental and 50% with lyrics. Anything more weighted towards instrumentals would be a bit much for me personally.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Back to the new album.
hazchem wrote:And yes, back to the point.....
No, no, no, forget the boring old 'new' album - it'll just be PF-lite, anyway. What Jambo meant (which is beyond me), and how it should be taken is much more interesting. Get back to it, you two!
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

No thank-you PooF

The conversation has been settled via a private conversation.

Forums are not places for making personal comments of any sort....ever! They are to discuss relevant topics where people can give their own personnal opinions on the subject matter of the forum.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Don't pollute threads with off-topic nonsense, that means not replying to this sentence.

I am not sure what I think about an album of soundscapes and other rejected curiosities. Perhaps naughty Polly Samson has overplayed the "new Pink Floyd album" thing when it is just some mad collectors item. I look forward to hearing it, but I am not expecting much to be honest. :?
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

An all out ambient album is a fascinating prospect and whilst a few lyrical tracks would certainly add weight to the album, they do ambient/instrumental very well. Cluster One and Marooned are two highlights from the Division Bell and more of the same will make for an interesting listen and add a new perspective and insight to the original Divison Bell recording/jam sessions.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Back to the new album. I am reading more and more comments from Nick saying it will be mostly instrumental/ambient. I am wondering how well that is going to go down. There were hints of the ambient stuff on Division Bell such as Cluster One. I'm curious if the majority of the album will be stuff like that. I'm hoping for a teaser of some sort within the next month or so.
Where are you reading these comments from Nick?

BTW: A lot of people are describing these tracks as 'rejects' or 'rejected'. I'm not sure that this is the case. There was always the intention that these would come out on an album different from The Division Bell. They weren't tracks intended for TDB which were left off. Hence I think calling them 'rejects' is inaccurate.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Well, there are some neat sounding instrumental demos and outtakes from TDB in circulation, and even though there's a good reason they never made it to the album I wouldn't necessarily call them "rejects". Most of the stuff I've heard is just pretty underdeveloped. Now, I'm guessing that there's more where that came from, but Gilmour would still have to come up with some completely new material to wrap it all up.

I'm keeping a positive mind about it though. We've all heard Gilmour's 'Comfortably Numb' demo and we all know what came out of that one in the end.

Maybe it's just my excitement making me expect much more than the album will probably deliver, but I just can't help it. It's been too damn long since I've last heard the words "new Pink Floyd album". \:D/
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Personally, I'd be pleased as punch if it were an all instrumental album. That would certainly be a first for Pink Floyd. But I am sure there will be some songs on it. It will be interesting to see if the songs utilize the old instrumental jams or they are entirely newly recorded (i.e. no Richard Wright on them).
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

good god almighty, an album of instrumental noises and shite that sounds like the orb [-X

no thanks
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

seem to so many are bitching about something that isn't even out.bitch if you don't put something out bitch if you do.what a joke
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've just played Cluster One and Marooned out of TDB context and back to back. I could handle an album like that :)

Wasn't the Frank Zappa album "Shut up and play yer guitar" a fully instrumental album made up of guitar solos extracted from live improvisations. Isn't that considered some kind of classic?

Edit: Mike Portnoy from Dream Theatre says that releasing "The Endless River" is disrespectful of Roger Waters. I'm not too familiar with Dream Theatre, and haven't enjoyed what I've heard of them (bar an appreciation of John Myung's bass playing - but I wish he had better material to play). But this Mike Portnoy sounds like a bit of a banker. The comments seem, in the most part, to agree. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-p ... er-waters/