What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Luca
Axe
Axe

Re: What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

Post by Luca »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 pm Here are my thoughts what the tour would have been like:
  • Second set and encore would see heavy bias towards Roger Waters' stuff, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking Tour set lists are here the best indicators (return of "If" and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun")
I love the two Pros and Cons tours and the Kaos one (I've got the Pros And Cons of NY cd, and on YouTube listen often to the Sigma bootleg with Clapton and Kaos at Madison square garden), but they clearly showed that Waters' voice even back then could not stand an entire concert. A Final Cut tour would have had to rely, I think, on pre-recorded vocal tapes for such songs as The post war dream, the Fletcher Memorial Home and The final Cut. The second half would have been mainly a Gilmour affair.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

The Pros and Cons Tour was two legs of the same effort, Eric Clapton gave up after the first round so the crew had to be reshuffled.

There is something that Waters did there as a set, songs other than "Shine On" (which he did not perform) from Wish You Were Here. I really liked that idea:

"Welcome to the Machine"
"Have a Cigar"
"Wish You Were Here"
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:47 pm The Pros and Cons Tour was two legs of the same effort, Eric Clapton gave up after the first round so the crew had to be reshuffled.
It was scaled down as well to save money. Tim Renwick had also quit, despite being involved prior to the tour when Roger had him sit down and transcribe all of Pink Floyd's song for him and the rest of the touring band, since he didn't know what key most of them were in.
Hadrian wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:47 pm There is something that Waters did there as a set, songs other than "Shine On" (which he did not perform) from Wish You Were Here. I really liked that idea:

"Welcome to the Machine"
"Have a Cigar"
"Wish You Were Here"
I really like the version of "Welcome to the Machine" from the Momentary Lapse tour. Roger's version was interesting, but for as much as I like Mel Collins' playing on Wet Dream, there are some songs that don't need a goddamn sax solo. "Welcome to the Machine" is one. "Set the Controls" is another one.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

What a @#$%$#@! weird poster:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:10 pm What a @#$%$#@! weird poster:
So the tickets didn't sell as well as hoped, you say? :?
I think I remember the odd dog bark on Pros and Cons but did the designers even listen to the album?!
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:54 pm I think I remember the odd dog bark on Pros and Cons but did the designers even listen to the album?!
The animations during Pros and Cons featured a cartoon dog named "Reg" as the main character. There's also artwork somewhere of it playing the bass.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:02 pm
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:54 pm I think I remember the odd dog bark on Pros and Cons but did the designers even listen to the album?!
The animations during Pros and Cons featured a cartoon dog named "Reg" as the main character. There's also artwork somewhere of it playing the bass.
Well that makes a bit of sense. Reg really should have been more upfront on the album but it'd interfere with whatever Roger wanted to do with it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I think it might be the worst artwork I've seen, by far. Certainly by Gerald Scarfe at least.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

What was the context for that crappy dog Reg? I forgot, which means that I was not impressed.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Hadrian wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:39 pm What was the context for that crappy dog Reg? I forgot, which means that I was not impressed.
I'm going to guess it was supposed to be a representation of the character the album is centred around, but if that's the case that's a bloody weird choice given it's about a man in the middle of a mid-life crisis.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

the post war dream
your possible pasts
have a cigar
wish you were here
one of the few
the hero's return
the gunner's dream
us and them
hey you
paranoid eyes

Desert
the fletcher memorial home
southhampton dock
the final cut
comfortably numb
set the controls
pigs
brick 1
days
brick 2
not now john
two suns

money
brain damage
eclipse
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm Nice mock-up but "dessert" :lol:
Also, "Confortably Numb" [-X
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:09 am
Hadrian wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:39 pm What was the context for that crappy dog Reg? I forgot, which means that I was not impressed.
I'm going to guess it was supposed to be a representation of the character the album is centred around, but if that's the case that's a bloody weird choice given it's about a man in the middle of a mid-life crisis.
It looks like a cheap Animals rip off. How unimaginative.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 pm It looks like a cheap Animals rip off. How unimaginative.
Same artist (Gerald Scarfe), and same Roger - which is then even more peculiar that Rog would identify himself as a (presumably aggressive capitalist) dog (however accurate that may be).
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm
Hadrian wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 pm It looks like a cheap Animals rip off. How unimaginative.
Same artist (Gerald Scarfe), and same Roger - which is then even more peculiar that Rog would identify himself as a (presumably aggressive capitalist) dog (however accurate that may be).
Well, I've long said that Roger identified himself firmly as a dog, and I knew nothing of this cartoon character.

Exhibit A: Pigs on the Wing, which is written from his perspective ("a dog needs a home, a place to bury my bone")
Exhibit B: The entirety of The Wall, which extrapolates Dogs as a double album - specifically, Hey You ("would you help me carry the stone")
Exhibit C: The word "bone" appears on every album of his. (Not sure this is correct but it certainly pops up often enough that I noticed it)
Exhibit D: There's one barking on most of his albums.
Exhibit E: Roger's bark tends to be worse than his bite :D