What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What would a tour supporting The Final Cut have been like?

Post by Hadrian »

Exhibit F: David Gilmour " "Roger is a dog in the manger and I'm going to fight him"
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Hadrian wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:00 pm Exhibit F: David Gilmour " "Roger is a dog in the manger and I'm going to fight him"
[-D-] [-D-] [-D-]

Totally forgot about that quote.

You know, since this is about imaginary tours, what would've happened if Rick would not have rejoined the band? A tour supporting AMLOR would have still been possible, but could it have worked? Who would've sung the mellow sections of Time?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:17 pm You know, since this is about imaginary tours, what would've happened if Rick would not have rejoined the band? A tour supporting AMLOR would have still been possible, but could it have worked? Who would've sung the mellow sections of Time?
Based on Roger's tours...any member of the touring band. I'm sure it would've worked, but I personally don't think it would've worked as well, just like I don't feel compelled to go to Roger's shows anymore. Jon Carin sang those parts just fine when I saw Gilmour in 2016, as I'm sure he did with Roger in 2006 (I didn't go). But I don't want to hear Roger butcher the verses, or some other guitarist imitate Dave's parts from the studio version. People would still go to hear Gilmour sing and let loose on the guitar.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

It's a question I'd really like to ask David and Nick. After all, they were keen on a tour but Rick's return was, I don't think, even really all that much discussed in the beginning, and the band also doubted whether he was capable of contributing after all that had went down.

I think Jon Carin probably learnt all of Rick's parts in advance, also in order to help him ease into the tour, so he would've been the natural choice. But still, it could have been Pink Floyd's first tour without their founding keyboard player, and both of the 1987 show openers (Echoes and then Shine On) start with his parts. I do wonder if David and Nick were afraid of this.

Plus, they would've needed a second keyboard player...

Edit: I loved Greg Philinganes' delivery of the Time parts (very soulful) - I was less enthused with Chuck Leavell doing CN. But in either case, it was clear that this was David Gilmour, not Pink Floyd. More so than in 2006, where the lines do get blurred.

Edit 2: I listened to some Roger solo versions of Time and the vocals are really the weak link.