Judge!

Re: Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

Post by azza200 »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Thanks for posting. I see its about the props used on the tour, could be interesting.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

that was... short
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That was a lot shorter than expected. :)
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Well, it's out! I'll probably be streaming the stereo version many times today, but I'm not sold after my first listen. At all.

Pigs (Three Different Ones) fares fairly well as the snappiest song of the bunch, but Dogs and Sheep - especially the latter - don't work for me. The atmosphere is just gone. The build-up with the repeat of "stone... stone... stone" in the latter sounds so naked. The dark and murky sound of this album served a purpose alright...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I completely forgot most of the formats are out today, just the deluxue next month...

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pink ... lease-date

The formats of Animals 2018 Remix include CD, LP (with gatefold artwork), Blu-ray, and SACD. These will be released around the world on September 16th, with the deluxe being available from October 7th 2022.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I listened to the digital release of the new mix this morning on my earphones, old style (the whole album in one go). Incredible sound, super clear - like being in a studio and listening to the tape on the spot.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

My copy is arriving tomorrow.

We'll be doing an entire series on the original LP, the remixed LP, and the tour on the Glacially Musical Pouredcast.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Hadrian wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:24 pm I listened to the digital release of the new mix this morning on my earphones, old style (the whole album in one go). Incredible sound, super clear - like being in a studio and listening to the tape on the spot.
It does sound like a like performance at times especially sheep and pigs 3do
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Got my copy in the post this morning. All day I've been telling people that it feels like I've been listening to the album in 8-track all these years and just got it on CD for the first time.

I think (first impression caveat and all,) that it's an improvement. I was listening to it on my way into work and there was a point during "Sheep" where I yelled "FUCK YEAH!!" and turned the volume up even louder.

I absolutely loved being the old geezer in the minivan bopping through the downtown intersection as that last incendiary bit of "Sheep" goes cutting through the air at concert volume!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Going to check out Limewire soon to see if a copy is available 8)
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

After all that drama I’m underwhelmed. Yes things seem more clear but the album loses some of its edge with these new mixes
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:52 am I completely forgot most of the formats are out today, just the deluxue next month...

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pink ... lease-date

The formats of Animals 2018 Remix include CD, LP (with gatefold artwork), Blu-ray, and SACD. These will be released around the world on September 16th, with the deluxe being available from October 7th 2022.
Hey, don't worry, even official Pink Floyd facebook forgot that the reissue is out. Still no one to remind them... :)
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Gslatner wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:42 pm After all that drama I’m underwhelmed. Yes things seem more clear but the album loses some of its edge with these new mixes
I basically agree with this. Animals was always the odd one out in that it sounded rougher and more muddy, but that sound also fit very well with the music and the lyrical concept. Conversely, in this new mix, there's no longer a sonic divide between a song like Dogs and Comfortably Numb. The former sounds objectively better. It's crystal clear and every instrument stands out. But... should Animals actually sound as clear as WYWH or The Wall? I don't necessarily think so.

The final bit of Sheep does indeed sound awesome now, but whereas Gilmour's guitar slashed through the old mix like sunshine through clouds, in the new mix, it's just kind of... there. If I turn the old mix up loud, I'll usually have tears streaming down my face at that part because it's so damn powerful. No reaction of that sort now. It sounds just like the rest of the song. No more, no less. The jury's still out, but I'm leaning towards preferring the old mix for its edge.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I'm glad I hesitated. Animals is gloom. Polish up that gloom to give it more space and atmosphere.
But it isn't really bright and shiny. I'll listen and see if I can even notice the difference given my ears (deaf before my time!).