Space TRIANGLE

It all makes perfect sense...

Although the frame is rectangular.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Final Cut is ok, I think?

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space rhombus wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:03 pm I love show-tunes, personally.
Who doesn't?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space rhombus wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:03 pm I love show-tunes, personally.
Obviously.

I'm surprised Bowie never covered Rodgers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma. Perhaps he didn't want to expose his sources quite so bluntly. You might recall that he couldn't even pull off Biff Rose without a disclaimer.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:04 am I'm surprised Bowie never covered Rodgers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma. Perhaps he didn't want to expose his sources quite so bluntly. You might recall that he couldn't even pull off Biff Rose without a disclaimer.
Dad, I told you to never post your actual date of birth on the internet.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 am
Kerry King wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:04 am I'm surprised Bowie never covered Rodgers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma. Perhaps he didn't want to expose his sources quite so bluntly. You might recall that he couldn't even pull off Biff Rose without a disclaimer.
Dad, I told you to never post your actual date of birth on the internet.
Unlike you, son, I am not ageist.
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:08 am
penguinzzz wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 am PF played Earl's Court in 1973 therefore Waters saw Bowie there in 1978. Interesting.
Good point - I had thought they'd played there throughout the '70s, but they seemed to prefer Wembley for their London gigs. They did play there 25 times on the Wall and Division Bell tours combined, but mid-'78 may have been a little early for Rog to be out and about doing reconnaissance.
As I recall PF wanted to play Earls Court in 74 and 77 after the success of the 73 show, but availability didn't suit their schedules.

Wembley is an awful venue (though I have seen some great shows there) and wouldn't have been suitable for the Wall show. A great shame Earls Court is gone now, it was so much better than the O2 arena.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:55 am
moom wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 pm Okay, we're moving off-topic, so, I guess I might ask if there's a live version of any TFC track that, in your opinion, is superior to the album version?
I'm afraid not. As wonderfully depicted in Michael Kamen's "I must not fuck sheep" story, Roger has committed some fantastic vocal performances to tape, but they all took countless takes to get a good one. This was true of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", it was one of their reasons for building Britannia Row, and it's why Roger tracked the vocals for The Final Cut in his home studio. I'm fairly certain this is why some tracks have never been performed live, and others clearly used pre-recorded vocals. Again, I readily admit being bitter about him lip-syncing "Every Stranger's Eyes" when I saw him at the tender age of 15, but he did the same thing in 1984; he's never actually sung it live. I have more respect for his lockdown renditions, but in no way do they compare to the studio recordings.

And I know it's odd to keep bringing up David Bowie on this forum, but did you know that most of his songs used the first take?
I was listening to Southampton Dock (heh, that song again :D ) live from 20something show today, and there was one bit in it he sang along with the pre-recorded tape, his own voice very barely but still audible. Think it was actually the "quiet desperation" one (heh, again, heh :D ). Felt a little sorry for the guy.

As for Bowie, way-way back before I really knew his catalog I used to think he was Pink Floyd redux xD
But sure they exist in the same art rock universe, just distant corners f it. His old voice had a share of "recognisability", but an a far cry from his early records' voice. In which age he was probably too poor to waste studio time on additional takes, so he had to make it good on first go :)

Update: Oops, that was The Fletcher Memorial Home.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

moom wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:22 pm As for Bowie, way-way back before I really knew his catalog I used to think he was Pink Floyd redux xD
But sure they exist in the same art rock universe, just distant corners f it.
I got into Bowie and Pink Floyd at the same time, by sheer coincidence. 1995: I'd sought out ChangesBowie after hearing "Space Oddity" on a Schweppes ginger ale commercial, and my sister gave me Relics on cassette (which she'd stolen, along with a bunch of others, at a party). I was already quickly accumulating Pink Floyd albums, starting with Division Bell, by the time I saw Bowie's 50th birthday concert on tv in January '97, and then I started tracking down all of his stuff. Being exposed to the very early and much later portions of both catalogs (and the fact that both had such long and varied careers) probably kept me from becoming too biased towards a particular period. The two intersected in a particularly surreal moment, when my very unprofessional band in high school made an appearance at a fairly well-known local biker's 40th birthday party. I have no clue what songs we played besides the 1970 BBC version of "Embryo", and..."Comfortably Numb". Following the typically drawn out second guitar solo, we shifted seamlessly into the guitar and bass solos of "Moonage Daydream", specifically from the 50th birthday concert. I know that one song/mashup lasted at least 40 minutes, with zero complaints. My future father-in-law may or may not have been at that party, but I never knew to ask him until the previously-mentioned biker turned up at his funeral. I know some very incriminating footage of this "show" exists, somewhere, but we're probably past the statute of limitations for most of that stuff.

https://youtu.be/gG0qAY1Z6Fk?t=177
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Bowie the fashion icon.

David Gilmour wasn't much of a fashion guy was he? His primary concern was the music. And he didn't need clean hair to do that!

A teaser for my upcoming Andrew Lloyd Webber/Bowie dissertation...working title: It's All About The Costumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfi9rBDW3s8
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:48 am It's All About The Costumes

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 amImage
Well played! :lol:

Roger's so goddamn awkward and unpleasant to look at that they wouldn't let him star in his own autobiography. How many times could that possibly have happened in the history of film?

I'm sure his official Wall on Broadway that's been 30 years in the making will be such an unrivaled success that Kerry would gargle balls for a ticket.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:50 am
space triangle wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 amImage
Well played! :lol:

Roger's so goddamn awkward and unpleasant to look at that they wouldn't let him star in his own autobiography. How many times could that possibly have happened in the history of film?

I'm sure his official Wall on Broadway that's been 30 years in the making will be such an unrivaled success that Kerry would gargle balls for a ticket.
I don't play.
The fact that the wall had costumes does not change anything. The costumes weren't Gilmour's idea! The idea of the wall on broadway is a joke to me. You seem to think I'm a Roger Waters fan. You're attempting to deflect because you know Bowie is a rootless rock n roll interloper. The wall, as an album, without the costumes, is just fine. It's better than the stage show, in fact. What's becoming clear is that your ego is riding on the fact that you have nothing better to do than read a bunch of shit about pink floyd and regurgitate it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:53 amBowie is a rootless rock n roll interloper.
What does that even mean? As Peter Green said, "I think rock n roll is a joke invented by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards." It's cosplay.
Kerry King wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:53 am What's becoming clear is that your ego is riding on the fact that you have nothing better to do than read a bunch of shit about pink floyd and regurgitate it.
Yes, the ego of my anonymous online persona seeks your acceptance. Honestly, it can be quite entertaining to ramble about some obscure music history and see what others have to say, but it can also be wholly disappointing to hear from the sort of mouthbreathers that stand up for the duration of a Roger Waters concert. I know you're not a big fan if his, but that's just the mental image I have of you. I suppose it could be nice to know what you do enjoy, but it could also be the saddest fucking thing I've ever heard.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

they flutter behind you
your possible posts
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »