Why has DG solo out-sold RW solo in total?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
battra
Knife
Knife

Re: Why has DG solo out-sold RW solo in total?

Post by battra »

mosespa wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:49 am Could it be because Gilmour comes across as more gracious in his press dealings and that transfers to people wanting to give him their money more than to the dour guy who acts like he thinks he's above it all?

Just a guess. :smt102
There's a lot of reasons I think.
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alvader »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:07 pm Probably the guitars. The solos in Comfortably Numb top greatest guitar solo polls. m!
But from those figures people seem to like music more than words.
People listen to music bands. If they want words, they can read romans or poems ( every body )
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alvader »

battra wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:42 pm Well...it starts off like this...

I'd wager that 80% of Pink Floyd fans don't care about the lyrics or the meanings of the songs but enjoy the emotional swings of the progressive songs. Look at Led Zeppelin...those butts never wrote a song about anything. They either did oh baby baby blues or avantgarde nuttery. But the music was great!

Then couple that with Roger's singing voice being...we'll say limited compared to Dave's angelic voice and don't even need to get started on the guitars there.

David's music is easier to digest. Roger's music dense. Roger's music is predicated on the message and Dave's predicated on the tunes.

Roger's music is harder to understand and Dave's is easier to digest.

My preference is Roger's, but the best is when Dave helped make Roger's messages into beautiful songs.
When you here someone talking about the Pink Floyd sound, do you think they are in any way refering to Roger Waters?
When people start playing guitar, they are sometimes inspired by so called legends. You think Roger Waters is one of them?
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Alvader wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:03 pm

I'd wager that 80% of Pink Floyd fans don't care about the lyrics or the meanings of the songs but enjoy the emotional swings of the progressive songs. Look at Led Zeppelin...those butts never wrote a song about anything. They either did oh baby baby blues or avantgarde nuttery. But the music was great!

Then couple that with Roger's singing voice being...we'll say limited compared to Dave's angelic voice and don't even need to get started on the guitars there.

David's music is easier to digest. Roger's music dense. Roger's music is predicated on the message and Dave's predicated on the tunes.

My preference is Roger's, but the best is when Dave helped make Roger's messages into beautiful songs.
When you here someone talking about the Pink Floyd sound, do you think they are in any way refering to Roger Waters?
When people start playing guitar, they are sometimes inspired by so called legends. You think Roger Waters is one of them?
Yes.

No, I don't think Roger Waters inspired anyone to play guitar, but he's still a legend. Kind of like how Bob Dylan didn't inspire anyone to play guitar, or harmonica for that matter. The big difference of course there, is that Roger isn't a guitar player really.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Yes.

No, I don't think Roger Waters inspired anyone to play guitar, but he's still a legend. Kind of like how Bob Dylan didn't inspire anyone to play guitar, or harmonica for that matter. The big difference of course there, is that Roger isn't a guitar player really.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Rog has probably inspired more people to write songs. However, I would think that some people (perhaps a lesser number) have been inspired to write songs by Dave too. While AMLoR onwards is 'late PF' for me, a lot of new fans were gained then. I can easily imagine someone being inspired to write by songs such as 'On the Turning Away' and 'High Hopes'.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I see it as the music is what pulls people to Dave simple as that.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

flashback wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:20 pm I see it as the music is what pulls people to Dave simple as that.
Could not agree more. David works his ass off trying to write good music and it appeals to more people. Roger is trying to focus on the lyrics which will only get you so many fans.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Both of them have inspired people to write lyrics. But David is more focused on the music and always has been. He was the musical director for the original wall shows says something David is just more musically gifted then Roger who vice versa is more gifted at lyrics.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

azza200 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:07 am David is just more musically gifted then Roger who vice versa is more gifted at lyrics.
It has never been more perfectly put.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:07 pm Probably the guitars.
But what of Eric Clapton on Pros and Cons and the great Jeff Beck on ATD? Those solos were just as good as Gilmour's on his solo records. And Snowy White's live solos... amazing.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 am
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:07 pm Probably the guitars.
But what of Eric Clapton on Pros and Cons and the great Jeff Beck on ATD? Those solos were just as good as Gilmour's on his solo records. And Snowy White's live solos... amazing.
From a 21st century perspective? We didn't have Classic Rock Radio playing Comfortably Numb on endless rotation for example back then.
I certainly remember the early 90's. Before Kurrrrtah did that Hello Hello Hello crap, there were petitions and magazine ads to save Rock Radio.
Guitars and guitarists were seen as embarrassing relics in the tailend of ecstasy and dumf dumf dumf James Brown whoop sample dumf dumf dumf.
Then Grunge came and raised interest in guitars.
Then Britpop came after going "But it doesn't have to be whiny bullshit/In The countryyyyy" etc.

ATD has some amazing guitar work. If ATD had Pink Floyd above the title it would have sold triple etc.
But it doesn't and didn't. People went for new stuff instead.
Nobody likes Roger. That's another factor.
Why hasn't his recent Lockdown album done the numbers Dark Side, The Wall and even the UK number one The Final Cut has?
Nobody likes Roger Waters! Well outside this forum that is.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:03 am
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 am

Nobody likes Roger Waters! Well outside this forum that is.
That's a good point. Really, Roger's only fans are people who loved Animals, the Wall and The Final Cut (I see WYWH and DSOTM as a collaboration between the whole band with lyrics by Roger). I love Roger (although when he said that David and Rick can't compose... yeah) and will listen to any album by him that is released... and I will do the same for Nick and David.

I still have to catch up on Rick Wright though.
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alvader »

battra wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:35 pm

Yes.

Roger Waters a legend? Hell , my 14 year old students don't even know Pink Floyd or any of their most known songs. Those who would play guitar will probably know Gilmour.
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alvader »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:46 pm Rog has probably inspired more people to write songs. However, I would think that some people (perhaps a lesser number) have been inspired to write songs by Dave too. While AMLoR onwards is 'late PF' for me, a lot of new fans were gained then. I can easily imagine someone being inspired to write by songs such as 'On the Turning Away' and 'High Hopes'.
Who was inspired by Roger? Can you give some examples?