Why has DG solo out-sold RW solo in total?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Re: Why has DG solo out-sold RW solo in total?

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Alvader wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:25 pm
Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:46 pm Rog has probably inspired more people to write songs. However, I would think that some people (perhaps a lesser number) have been inspired to write songs by Dave too. While AMLoR onwards is 'late PF' for me, a lot of new fans were gained then. I can easily imagine someone being inspired to write by songs such as 'On the Turning Away' and 'High Hopes'.
Who was inspired by Roger? Can you give some examples?
Not that you care but the whole reason I started to write songs 4 years ago is because of Roger. I'm actually (finally) recording the first album I wrote with one band and at the same time in a different studio I'm recording another, very lyrical albums (That's the Roger coming in) however the lyrics are more Bob Dylan/Leonard Cohen style, with the exception of a couple of more political songs.

I remember reading somewhere Kevin Parker (Tame Impala) was inspired by Roger... could be mistaken , he's most definitely inspired by the Floyd as a whole
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Alvader wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:24 pm
battra wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:35 pm

Yes.

No, I don't think Roger Waters inspired anyone to play guitar, but he's still a legend. Kind of like how Bob Dylan didn't inspire anyone to play guitar, or harmonica for that matter. The big difference of course there, is that Roger isn't a guitar player really.
Roger Waters a legend? Hell , my 14 year old students don't even know Pink Floyd or any of their most known songs. Those who would play guitar will probably know Gilmour.
I see. We're being quite literal.

My 12 year old knows who he is and all that jazz. I dunno where you're located, but here in Middle America, we're quite well versed in classic rock.

But just so you know, the instrument that Roger Waters is most associated with is a Fender Precision Bass Guitar.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Alvader wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:25 pm Who was inspired by Roger? Can you give some examples?
Many people who are not famous. But, among the at least slightly famous, Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree. Kalle Wallner from RPWL, Mick Moss from Antimatter.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

A genius is always underappreciated in his own time, because he is living ahead or even above his age. True recognition always comes late. Ironically it is the more earthly, less exalted talents of Dave, Rick and Nick that have gained Roger world wide success. They tempered and filtered his bursts of creative energy, making the music palpable to the masses.

When he left the band he became a genius on his own, and his career suffered for it. Not even his own fans fully appreciated him. His solo work is not just okay, it is up there with the best of Floyd. The expression may be different, but the essence is the same. A man like David Gilmour does not bring essence. He's a bricklayer, a truck driver. He helps out, puts a shine on things, but he is not the creator. This is simply evidenced by the sudden dearth of creativity once Roger was no longer around to steer the ship.

In the end, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the general public. This has been a benefit for Dave and a disadvantage for Roger.
Last edited by DaveSamsonBell on Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieBoy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CharlieBoy »

Quite frankly, and speaking for 'the common man' so to speak, no ordinary person feels comfortable around a guy like Waters. He's an arrogant, autocratic, bullying figure that many dislike instinctively despite his undoubted vision and 'artistry'.

Yes, he was the guiding light behind the great PF albums (that he contributed to) but without the others' input would they ever have taken off?

Not impo.

Re. Redux, I'll not be bothering to look out for it. If Waters feels that he can air brush out the fantastic contribution that the others made to DSOTM then I reckon that Redux is likely to be a pretty p!ss poor album - especially when those beautiful musical passages are replaced by his droning on.

Viva the real Floyd!
CharlieBoy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CharlieBoy »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:55 pm A genius is always underappreciated in his own time, because he is living ahead or even above his age. True recognition always comes late. Ironically it is the more earthly, less exalted talents of Dave, Rick and Nick that have gained Roger world wide success. They tempered and filtered his bursts of creative energy, making the music palpable to the masses.

When he left the band he became a genius on his own, and his career suffered for it. Not even his own fans fully appreciated him. His solo work is not just okay, it is up there with the best of Floyd. The expression may be different, but the essence is the same. A man like David Gilmour does not bring essence. He's a bricklayer, a truck driver. He helps out, puts a shine on things, but he is not the creator. This is simply evidenced by the sudden dearth of creativity once Roger was no longer around to steer the ship.

In the end, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the general public. This has been a benefit for Dave and a disadvantage for Roger.
Good post, mate. And, yes, it is ironic that Waters is profiting from his 'underlings' much better efforts!
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

CharlieBoy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:40 pm Quite frankly, and speaking for 'the common man' so to speak, no ordinary person feels comfortable around a guy like Waters. He's an arrogant, autocratic, bullying figure that many dislike instinctively despite his undoubted vision and 'artistry'.
That might be true, but since when did you have to hang around with Roger Waters to enjoy his music?

His underlings have produced zero quality material without him. Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are embarrassments to the Floyd catalog. Waters has produced loads of quality material on his own. The verdict seems clear.
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alvader »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:55 pm A genius is always underappreciated in his own time, because he is living ahead or even above his age. True recognition always comes late. Ironically it is the more earthly, less exalted talents of Dave, Rick and Nick that have gained Roger world wide success. They tempered and filtered his bursts of creative energy, making the music palpable to the masses.

We got someone here from Roger's promoteam. What an honour
Alvader
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alvader »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:54 pm
CharlieBoy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:40 pm Quite frankly, and speaking for 'the common man' so to speak, no ordinary person feels comfortable around a guy like Waters. He's an arrogant, autocratic, bullying figure that many dislike instinctively despite his undoubted vision and 'artistry'.
That might be true, but since when did you have to hang around with Roger Waters to enjoy his music?

His underlings have produced zero quality material without him. Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are embarrassments to the Floyd catalog. Waters has produced loads of quality material on his own. The verdict seems clear.
Maybe look at Roger's so callad opera. What a farce how he so called "wrote " it.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

I didn't know Roger wrote an opera. Not to my taste, but I read the french president liked it and wanted it performed on stage, so I guess child's play for him to write an opera as a side project just to do it.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:15 pm I didn't know Roger wrote an opera. Not to my taste, but I read the french president liked it and wanted it performed on stage, so I guess child's play for him to write an opera as a side project just to do it.
It was a brilliant opera to listen to.

But I'm a suck up to all things Floyd, whether it be Waters, Wright, Barrett, Gilmour and even Mason (Nick Mason's Ficticous Sports is one of my favourite albums).
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

CharlieBoy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:40 pm Re. Redux, I'll not be bothering to look out for it. If Waters feels that he can air brush out the fantastic contribution that the others made to DSOTM then I reckon that Redux is likely to be a pretty p!ss poor album - especially when those beautiful musical passages are replaced by his droning on.

Viva the real Floyd!
I would definitely recommend the album! It was beautiful.
Obviously a Waters album, and it's nothing compared to the original, but it still brought a tear to my eye (I'm looking at you, Us And Them)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Because more people remember 'legendary 'Davids Blue Light video rather than Rogers The Tide is Turning. :lol:
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:55 pm A genius is always underappreciated in his own time, because he is living ahead or even above his age. True recognition always comes late.
I don't think this is true. Beethovan and Mendelssohn - as two examples - were wildly popular in their time, as well as afterwards. There are examples of underappreciated geniuses such as van Gogh, but plenty were amply appreciated in their time.
space triangle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:29 pm Because more people remember 'legendary 'Davids Blue Light video rather than Rogers The Tide is Turning. :lol:
I sort of prefer that I didn't remember either. There are some good songs on _About Face_, but 'Blue Light' is very much not one of them. 'The Tide Is Turning' is OK, just a bit disappointing.
DaveSamsonBell wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:54 pm His underlings have produced zero quality material without him. Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are embarrassments to the Floyd catalog. Waters has produced loads of quality material on his own. The verdict seems clear.
Disagreed. There is plenty of quality material on most PF solo albums. With the exceptions for me being album like Zee's _Identity_.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:10 pm Disagreed. There is plenty of quality material on most PF solo albums. With the exceptions for me being album like Zee's _Identity_.
Completely agree with this.

I think on the whole...

The Pink Floyd solo records are far more successful than other bands' solo projects. I mean, Nick's are basically unnecessary, I mean, he's a drummer.

Rick did three...one's a gem...One's Zee...and one's never been released on vinyl.

Dave's done four...probably about 2.5 out of 4 are good.

Roger's done four...2 are great. 1 is pretty good. 1 is confusing.

I mean, we could do the Kiss solo project ratio now....no one wants that.