Why has DG solo out-sold RW solo in total?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Eclips
Axe
Axe

Re: Why has DG solo out-sold RW solo in total?

Post by Eclips »

space triangle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:29 pm Because more people remember 'legendary 'Davids Blue Light video rather than Rogers The Tide is Turning. :lol:
Blue Light's video is hilarious, that and Tony Banks' "This is Love" video crack me up everytime.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:10 pm
DaveSamsonBell wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:55 pm A genius is always underappreciated in his own time, because he is living ahead or even above his age. True recognition always comes late.
I don't think this is true. Beethovan and Mendelssohn - as two examples - were wildly popular in their time, as well as afterwards. There are examples of underappreciated geniuses such as van Gogh, but plenty were amply appreciated in their time.
Mentioning Beethoven in the same breath as the derivative Mendelssohn shows that he is still underappreciated.

There are plenty of examples.

Spielberg being a bigger name than De Palma.
George Lucas not considered a good director. :lol:
Einstein more popular than Tesla.
Andy Warhol a world famous "artist" while legends like Alma-Tadema and Odilon Redon are unknown by the public.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:19 am Spielberg being a bigger name than De Palma.
Spielberg is much more accessible to general audiences. I think you'll find in film nerd circles de Palma is a pretty big name.
And I don't mean to slag off Spielberg either - the reason he's such a big name is because he is just that good at his job. Maybe not in the same way de Palma is, but Spielberg is the man who made a shark that looks that fake pretty terrifying.
DaveSamsonBell wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:19 am George Lucas not considered a good director. :lol:
George Lucas's direction of the prequel trilogy is not good. That's probably the reason he has that reputation.
Beyond that, Star Wars (1977) is definitely a groundbreaking film but Lucas's original approved cut was 2 1/2 hours long and was according to people like de Palma pretty boring. Maria Lucas's re-edit of it is the film we know today, she's the one who made it as exciting as it is. ALL THAT SAID, his direction of the movie is pretty damn good. But I think of Lucas like I do Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek: great concept men, but the best work in their respective franchises were done when they allowed others to take their concepts and run with them.
I cannot comment on THX1138 or American Graffiti though.
DaveSamsonBell wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:19 am Einstein more popular than Tesla.
I think the better analogue here would be "Edison is more popular than Tesla". Because there, that's absolutely true. Tesla was a genius, but Edison was unfortunately a better businessman. Because of this he was able to outsell Tesla and bury his genius in the mud.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:19 am

I don't think this is true. Beethovan and Mendelssohn - as two examples - were wildly popular in their time, as well as afterwards. There are examples of underappreciated geniuses such as van Gogh, but plenty were amply appreciated in their time.
Mentioning Beethoven in the same breath as the derivative Mendelssohn shows that he is still underappreciated.

Andy Warhol a world famous "artist" while legends like Alma-Tadema and Odilon Redon are unknown by the public.
These examples don't argue against my point which is it is not the case that geniuses are never appreciated in their lifetimes. Some of them are. Note: 'Some of them'. I didn't say all of them.

It is true that some artists are feted beyond their worth, and some are unjustly ignored. But, my point is that doesn't always happen.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

Annoying Twit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:37 am

These examples don't argue against my point which is it is not the case that geniuses are never appreciated in their lifetimes. Some of them are. Note: 'Some of them'. I didn't say all of them.

It is true that some artists are feted beyond their worth, and some are unjustly ignored. But, my point is that doesn't always happen.
Underappreciated.

Roger is appreciated, but far from what he deserves.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I would appreciate Roger sitting down and shutting up rather than continuing to spew mad bullshit and propaganda. *shrug*
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Spielberg may be the bigger name thanks too huge success with ET, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan as a director he is def more consistent with good movies. But De Palma has had some great films as well Scarface, Carlitos Way, The Untouchable's & Mission Impossible but far too many average films compared to Spielberg.

George Lucas again had a good run of films but his constant tinkering with Star Wars releases have been dire. Outside of Star Wars he has made some great films Indiana Jones with Spielberg in the 80's. (I hate Star Wars)
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

mosespa wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:51 pm I would appreciate Roger sitting down and shutting up rather than continuing to spew mad bullshit and propaganda. *shrug*
Best reply to that I've ever seen :lol:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Roger needs to learn don't sell your soul for complete control if you don't have any self-control.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

flashback wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:15 pm Roger needs to learn don't sell your soul for complete control if you don't have any self-control.
Of course, but back in those days who would drift, he would dream, even walk on water, so naturally that all got to his head and inflated his ego even more.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

azza200 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:07 pm Spielberg may be the bigger name thanks too huge success with ET, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan as a director he is def more consistent with good movies. But De Palma has had some great films as well Scarface, Carlitos Way, The Untouchable's & Mission Impossible but far too many average films compared to Spielberg.

George Lucas again had a good run of films but his constant tinkering with Star Wars releases have been dire. Outside of Star Wars he has made some great films Indiana Jones with Spielberg in the 80's. (I hate Star Wars)
An artist is judged by his best work, not his average work. Who cares about average? Art is not accumulative.

The fact that Roger doesn't even get cred on a Pink Floyd forum is the best evidence real genius is always fighting an uphill battle. The world is overburdened by bad taste because people want the easy fix. No appreciation for subtlety. Plato was right about the shadows in the cave.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

it isn't that Roger isn't a great artist it's that his ego overshadows his art. I appreciate his art just not all his bullshit.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

flashback wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:57 pm it isn't that Roger isn't a great artist it's that his ego overshadows his art. I appreciate his art just not all his bullshit.
Couldn't have summed it up better.
He is the reason I write songs and a massive influence in my music along with Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan, but he wasn't Pink Floyd.
Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd. There is no in between
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:55 pm The fact that Roger doesn't even get cred on a Pink Floyd forum is the best evidence real genius is always fighting an uphill battle.
Of course he gets cred here, lots of it. For a couple of years I thought I was fighting an uphill battle here when I said I wasn't as keen on him as others are.
I think the reason we don't often out loud say here that his lyrics from Meddle to Animals are genius is because... well duh. We all know that. It's somewhat taken for granted sometimes I think. But I do not think he has consistently shown that level of quality since. The Wall and The Final Cut have smatterings of his former glory, but are also a lot more banal than his earlier work in places. The lyrics on Is This the Life We Really Want? are not much good at all. Amused to Death has its moments, but frequently emphasize shock value over actually saying anything.
The reason we're so critical of his later endeavours I think is because we have empirical evidence that he can be better than this. I genuinely think at some point, he stopped trying.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:00 am
DaveSamsonBell wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:55 pm The fact that Roger doesn't even get cred on a Pink Floyd forum is the best evidence real genius is always fighting an uphill battle.
Of course he gets cred here, lots of it. For a couple of years I thought I was fighting an uphill battle here when I said I wasn't as keen on him as others are.
I think the reason we don't often out loud say here that his lyrics from Meddle to Animals are genius is because... well duh. We all know that. It's somewhat taken for granted sometimes I think. But I do not think he has consistently shown that level of quality since. The Wall and The Final Cut have smatterings of his former glory, but are also a lot more banal than his earlier work in places. The lyrics on Is This the Life We Really Want? are not much good at all. Amused to Death has its moments, but frequently emphasize shock value over actually saying anything.
The reason we're so critical of his later endeavours I think is because we have empirical evidence that he can be better than this. I genuinely think at some point, he stopped trying.
Lyrics are just a small part of what Roger is capable of. The man creates music, either directly or indirectly. Good lyrics are just a cherry on the side. They don't really matter to the soundscape. Personally I don't care one bit what he's singing about.