Nirvana

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Emily_ wrote:
David Smith wrote:A note to Mosespa, i beleive my generation is even more cynical and sarcasstic than yours and as a whole i would say my generation can see through Nirvana and recognise that the cultural impact they had in the early 90s was simply periodic and are not so much the misunderstood and alienated artist that all teenagers these days consider themselves, but rather that Thom Yorke holds more that position

Then again in 10 years time people will probably say the same critisisims about Radiohead :?
nirvana are better than led zeppelin. I think the rule - they had more influence than led zeppelin.
Slow down...

First off, I'd like to say that I enjoy Nirvana. In Utero is a classic album and Bleach and Nevermind are enjoyable. MTV Unplugged has to be one of the best live albums ever. Kurt Cobain wasn't a great guitarist, but he was a great lyricist and his vocals worked perfectly for the style of music his band played.

That said, Led Zeppelin has influenced thousands of bands, and it could be argued that they single handedly created rock as we know it. I think that Nirvana is a good band who have done some great things, and I can even understand someone prefering them over Zeppelin. That said, saying they had more INFLUENCE than Zeppelin is ridiculous.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Crap!
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I like Nirvana. I liked Curt Cobain, and, tho it's sad that he left us the way he did, I can understand why he did the things he did, and I don't hold it against him. Seattle is like another world; You'd have to live there a spell to understand... It's the suicide capitol of the world, and it's pretty high on the heroin- addiction list, too. But it still produces some phenomenal musicians!
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

I don't like Nirvana, I don't dislike them. I like some of their songs, but not all.
lisa
Axe
Axe

Post by lisa »

Being an alienated teenager in the early nineties I got into Nirvana.At the time you never heard indie music unless you listened to college radio.That all changed with Nirvana.It proved you didn't have to conform.Of course the flipside was they became so famous that he couldn't take it.Oh well, I still think they rock. :smt097
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I love the music of Nirvana. As far as if they are overrated or not.... who cares what other people think??? Personally I think that the defined an era, and had many lasting contributions to the seattle sound. I think that I love most of the big bands that emerged with Nirvana like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, STP (I think that they can be considered here), Alice in Chains (althought they were kinda wannabes imo)... I just love the music style.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

seamusz wrote:I love the music of Nirvana. As far as if they are overrated or not.... who cares what other people think??? Personally I think that the defined an era, and had many lasting contributions to the seattle sound. I think that I love most of the big bands that emerged with Nirvana like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, STP (I think that they can be considered here), Alice in Chains (althought they were kinda wannabes imo)... I just love the music style.
well said.

Although in my opinion Nirvana stood head and shoulders above their contemporaries.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

seamusz wrote:I love the music of Nirvana. As far as if they are overrated or not.... who cares what other people think??? Personally I think that the defined an era, and had many lasting contributions to the seattle sound. I think that I love most of the big bands that emerged with Nirvana like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, STP (I think that they can be considered here), Alice in Chains (althought they were kinda wannabes imo)... I just love the music style.
I agree! ( Although I don't think Alice in Chains was a wannabe band)... I love the Seattle bands... but maybe I'm biased, since I'm a native of Seattle...
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I hate Nirvana..... I think that their songs are absolutely terrible.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

I think their songs have a unique style

Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

MikeWaters wrote:I hate Nirvana..... I think that their songs are absolutely terrible.
good for you.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Yup it is good for me!
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

:smt028

Hammer