What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Post by nosaj »

I have been reading a lot of non fiction over the past few months. But, yesterday, I started The Soft Machine by William S. Burroughs. It is quite short, so I should be finished today.

It is a very odd book. I believe he uses the cut-up technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-up_technique) quite extensively in this book. So, there isn't really a narrative. I am not sure what to make of it as far as meaning, but it is an interesting read so far in terms of language, etc.

I think it was written in 1961, so seeing words like "Primus" and "heavy metal" are interesting...
boo
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by boo »

fifty shades of grey ~ e.l. james :twisted:
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Hammer of the gods. Not anywhere near as salacious I'd assumed it would be. I was expecting a pure hatchett job but it's much more a straight biog. R.Cole comes across as wanker...aand that's aside from the Red snapper thing.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

...been giving "Inside out" a second shot.
A lot of anecdotes around here...
I've come to the era when I heard my first bootleg (from Rainbow Theatre '72) so it's more like "being history" than reading about it.
And doing a cross-reference with Keith's concert-database, I can see that I missed a gig or two, due to the fact that we were obscured by purple haze and puffs of clouds around that time...
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Flying pig437 wrote:Hammer of the gods. Not anywhere near as salacious I'd assumed it would be. I was expecting a pure hatchett job but it's much more a straight biog. R.Cole comes across as wanker...aand that's aside from the Red snapper thing.
Finished this. It says in the post Zep section that Robert Plant’s first solo tour ended each show with a ‘reggae version of Bob Marley’s Lively up yourself’. This, no doubt, would be as opposed to Bob Marley’s own heavy metal version!
Hopearabits
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hopearabits »

I'm reading (and viewing ;-) the most personalised book I ever got; a photo book about myself from the beginning up to now - it was a birthday present from my daughter. Best thing I got this year - think I will make one myself. Can anyone recommend another company than pixum.co.uk?
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Nick Clegg biography. His grandma was a slag who fucked, among many other men, the guy who Ian Fleming based James Bond on.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Just finished 'A Clash Of Civilisations' and now reading 'None shall divide us' by that 'nice' UDA irish terrorist Michael Stone. I kinda wonder how much of what he's wrote is bravado and how much is the actual truth!
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I'm soon going to start reading the I Ching.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

back to Pynchon: The Crying of Lot 49 a couple weeks back, and now the mighty Gravity's Rainbow
which definitely has more challenging passages than other Pynchon even, lots of runon sentences that go on for pages ... with only ellipses to give structure ... a bit too much like poetry for my tastes and surprising for a former Boeing employee obsessed with engineering metaphors ... but those are only "brief" passages and most of it is zany plot driven slapstick just with bigger words and obscure references
Pynchon's great theme in these three early books is the futility of finding meaning in a completely random universe, entropy is going on all around and has always been, and the harder you try to explain your experiences all the more life itself looks like a conspiracy theory

before that finally finished the last Modesty Blaise adventure Cobra Trap
those are quick reads, too quick because theyre exactly the type of smart pulpish thrillers I like and I could do with more
Peter O'Donnell actually provides a final caper for Modesty and Willie, set 20 years in the future, its very sad, a bit like the last page of Watership Down
how many other adventure series included a last adventure? not James Bond, not Tintin, I cant think of any
ScribbleCharger
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ScribbleCharger »

I need to learn,so I'm currently reading a book about Linux.655 pages...very interesting. :roll:
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I read The Alchemist by Paulo Cuelho. It was a very nice read, I didn't expect it to really live up to its hype, but it does. The writing style is very simple, not pretentious, therefore escaping the regular "overrated" cliche.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Eye in the sky by Philip K.Dick. It's rubbish and very silly. Saying that though I haven't got a clue what's going on in it.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Flying Pig wrote:Eye in the sky by Philip K.Dick. It's rubbish and very silly. Saying that though I haven't got a clue what's going on in it.
:shock:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I doubt Philip K Dick knew either. The guy was rather fond of the pharmaceuticals.