What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Flying pig437 »

Steve Jobs by Walter issacson. Just started it and as I know absolbutely zilch about his 2nd stint as head of Apple i'm looking forward to it.

It's been good and even funnily told in parts so far. I like the bit where Jobs says an early invest in Apple 'won't see that $250,000' again!! That was before the Apple 2.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

Reading (and looking at the pictures) about The Rolling Stones 50'th anniversary in "50".
Although Bill Wyman ain't no longer in the band, I think it's a bit narrow-sighted not to let him in on this occasion. Ron Wood hasn't been in the band for a full circle either - and if you compare with the Beatles Anthology, they could have taken sentences from yesteryear and intermingled them in a natural way. Same goes for Brian Jones and Mick Taylor (and the late Nicky Hopkins)

But good golly, there are loads of neverbeforeseen-pictures!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Still reading Steve Jobs biog. Just got to whete hes returned to Apple as CEO. Theres some classic annecdotes in it.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

What sorts of classic anecdotes?
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

rememberaday wrote:What sorts of classic anecdotes?
Like the one where a cop pulls him over for speeding then goes off to write a ticket and while he's writing the ticket Jobs honks his horn and say's 'I'm in a hurry'. I also like the one where an Intel guy came over to Apple to show them something and got into an argument with Jobs who there and then rang Intel's CEO to get him to agree with him but he didn't...he agreed with his employee!
LSD
Blade
Blade

Post by LSD »

Just finished "Survivor" by Palahniuk (the guy who wrote "Fight Club") eh. It had its moments, I guess. All I can say is the most interesting part was the dreaming by Fertility. All I could think was ... 'see????!?'

Am now starting Corelli's Mandolin, a book that I have been wanting to read for a couple of years. I got it as a present for my b'day. All I need now is a tiara, a bottle of wine, a tiny pink pony named 'George' and a song. :smt029 :smt016 :smt034
henno

Post by henno »

just finished book 1 of the strain trilogy from chuck hogan and guillermo del toro

on book 2 now "the fall"
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I finished Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. I like philosophy, and I like that book. It's story is very well developed, and while it may be a tough read, it has its fair share of climax in the first half and the next half you go on reading since it's so interesting. The concepts are perfect and I would recommend it to all of you guys, that is, if you can stand the history of all the philosophers and the philosophies themselves- sometimes the next chapter may even have a contrasting one. (BTW, I just noticed how "Sophie" is part of philosophies. Coincidence, huh?)

I'm gonna start reading Brave New World by Alduous Huxley. I don't really like the look of it, but I guess it's one of those books with a boring starting and a memorable ending. We'll see.
BeeJay
Hammer
Hammer

Post by BeeJay »

"The Adventures of Pip" - the first book I ever read. (Thought it was about time I re-visited it. )
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I'm reading four books at the same time - somewhat like side projects :D : All of William Blake's poetry, Wordsworth's and Coleridge's Lyrical Ballads, Hitler's Mein Kampf and Blindness by Jose Saramago. Heck, I may even start reading Charles Dickens' Hard Times in a day or two. <.8.> <.8.> <.8.>
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

A biog of Iggy Pop. I've only started it from where he met Bowie and was just going to read the Bowie bits but he's cropping up here and there so much that I'm gonna just read it to the end.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Amazing how people think of things differently. There's a guy, John Draper, in this book who the author calls 'one of the tragic cases of the early PC revolution. It's a guy who wrote an early word processing app. He'd made a fortune and blew it on cars and holidays then ended up iving off hand outs! He's only got himself to blame hasn't he? That's not a tragedy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Been reading the Girl with The Dragon Tattoo but I don't like it and want to stop at once!

Can you just stop reading a book part way through.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Yes I have done. First one I ever abandoned was Sophie's World when I was a teenager. I found The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo heavy going until about a quarter of the way through. Then it picked up considerably. I've read the trilogy and while I mainly enjoyed them, I'd have happily chopped great big lumps of waffle out of them.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Keith Jordan wrote: Can you just stop reading a book part way through.
I don't think it's illegal...yet.