Before you die you (must) see The Ring

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

See, hilarious eh?

Saw the japanese trilogy for The Ring the other day, quite nice really although i feel cause the americans changed the ending thattt hey're bound to screw up a little bit.

But anyway, of all the people on this forum is there anyone who doesn't love clerks?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

But anyway, of all the people on this forum is there anyone who doesn't love clerks?
Whats clerks ?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

A fantastic film by Kevin (Silent Bob himself) Smith that's set around the life of 2 convinience store clerks. The film was made in 94 and has a huge cult following that constists of anybody who actually bothers to watch it. The film has had a variety of spin offs made of it from the view askew team and launched careers for Brian O hann and Jeff Anderson.

The film is both dramatic and hilarious, a true comic jem made for 200 thousand quid. Anyone familiar with the more commericial View askew producions will know jay and Silent Bob, characters that made their first appearance in this film.

Most famously an animated series was made of it which reunited some of the films cast but was taken off air after just it's second episode (all 6 can now be found on a dvd i should be getting in the post soon) the programme was taken of air for it's crude content.

That enough?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:(all 6 can now be found on a dvd i should be getting in the post soon) the programme was taken of air for it's crude content.
I didn't make the post today David. Sorry buddy. I will have to post it on wednesday now as I am in uni all day tomorrow. :( I suppose I could always drive up to Scotland this evening and drop them off for you and have a beer?!?!?! :lol: I am in Uni at 10am though so that may cause issues for me.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yeah that would be a great idea cheers :lol:

Yeah Wednesdays fine. Means i get it on Friday so that's still well and good.

Did you like the film keith? And also did you see any of the series?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:See, hilarious eh?

Saw the japanese trilogy for The Ring the other day, quite nice really although i feel cause the americans changed the ending thattt hey're bound to screw up a little bit.

HOW did the ending change? I've seen both and of all the difference I've noticed between the two the ending isn't one of them.

(I've become quite an expert on the Ring series over the last couple of weeks and I've only seen The Ring and Ringu...thank the maker for Metacrawler...and thanks to R.PITI for turning me on to Metacrawler)

I can't wait for the American translations of the novels that the movie series (and TV movie and TV miniseries) are based upon.

From what I've gathered so far, the books (as is usually the case) have so much more depth and detail than the movies.

What's really interesting is that apparently in the last novel, we discover that the events of all the previous novels have taken place inside a massive computer simulation.

Ooops...that was a spoiler, wasn't it?

Oh well...who among us can read Japanese, anyway, right?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Well i don't want to give it away so i'll pm you
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

By the way...has anyone seen Fear Dot Com?

The Dreamworks team who saw Ringu started watching the movie at 4PM and had the rights to remake the movie by 7PM.

My guess is that Fear Dot Com was made by some guys who obviously didn't get the rights to Ringu.

It's so close and yet so far.

It tries entirely too hard to be Seven, as well.

The funny thing is, I watched Fear Dot Com before I'd ever dreamed of hearing of The Ring or Ringu and I still wasn't sure if I liked the movie or not...something seemed to be missing (maybe it was a virus that was 7/10 smallpox and 3/10 human DNA that was missing) but when I saw The Ring, I instantly knew that someone had told this story the right way.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

David Smith wrote:A fantastic film by Kevin (Silent Bob himself) Smith that's set around the life of 2 convinience store clerks. The film was made in 94 and has a huge cult following that constists of anybody who actually bothers to watch it. The film has had a variety of spin offs made of it from the view askew team and launched careers for Brian O hann and Jeff Anderson.

The film is both dramatic and hilarious, a true comic jem made for 200 thousand quid. Anyone familiar with the more commericial View askew producions will know jay and Silent Bob, characters that made their first appearance in this film.

Most famously an animated series was made of it which reunited some of the films cast but was taken off air after just it's second episode (all 6 can now be found on a dvd i should be getting in the post soon) the programme was taken of air for it's crude content.

That enough?
agreed, clerks rules. are you sure the cartoon was taken off the air because of the crudeness? i thought it was because the pilot failed and everyone hated it, so they just took it off. some of the cartoons are really funny, especially the one with Judge Reinhold from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, thats a great episode
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

The cartoon was taken off because of it's crudeness yeah. The followjng was purely going to be cult at first, ABC had no problem with that 'cause they had nothing to lose.

Yet Who wants to be a millionaire? got them loads of viewers and they couldn't risk having a cartoon on that threatend to offend a lot of people incase they fell down in ratings and replaced it with WWTBAM?
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I got the "Clerks" cartoon dvd. It's actually not one of those things you can watch over and over, like the film. We thought it was funny the first 4 times, haha, but then it was like "great, glad we have this DVD series that's not all that great."

As for "The Ring", I'm sure this is the unpopular opinion here, but I finally saw it last night, and was EXTREMELY disappointed. It moved too quickly to REALLY build suspense, about the only thing that made it suspenseful were the quick shots, etc., and I did like the look and feel of it. Other than that, pretty much the only redeeming quality, I felt, was the video inside the film. That was pretty cool. I didn't like how the Rachel character was always so perfect looking...who really wears that much make up all the time for one thing, and for another, if you're about to die the next day, you don't spend all that time applying make up. I think I'd be looking pretty crappy...heh. Her make up was even perfect when she was under the water! I mean, come ON! LOL. Anyway, I thought it was pretty much a piece of crap. But that's just my opinion.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Got the clerks DVDs today, taking the day of school tomorrow to watch them :lol:

Cheers Keith
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

arg, your lucky, some of my friends just dont show up to school because "they dont feel like it" well my dad is a doctor and it is impossible for me to fake sick, and my friends do it all the time. of course, then they go and complain about the make up work....
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Tommy,have you ever heard of just skipping.Act like you are going & right before you get there just take a wrong turn.I skipped so much my 12 grade year but always had homework done & done good on all test.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

flashback wrote:Tommy,have you ever heard of just skipping.Act like you are going & right before you get there just take a wrong turn.I skipped so much my 12 grade year but always had homework done & done good on all test.
i skip music sometimes, like ill show up to class so the teacher will take roll, then i ask to go to the restroom and sort of dont come back. thats probably the only class i could get away with that in, at least this year. plus my school is pretty harsh on kids who skip, not to mention my parents, they would kill me. im sure ill skip when im a senior, but im only a sophomore