Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Doctor Who

Post by oz1701 »

ddebil wrote:No idea - never watched it. :?
shame ddebil shame :lol:
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

I try to avoid shows with numbers in their title, except 'Police 5'. :D
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

good gnus everybody in Australia

special episode of dr who on sunday - two doctors!!
ABC TV FAST-TRACKS THE NEXT DOCTOR TO AUSTRALIA

Doctor Who fans are in for a treat when ABC TV screens the highly anticipated 2008 Doctor Who Christmas Special on Sunday January 25 at 7.30pm, on ABC 1.

Doctor Who: The Next Doctor will screen in the UK on Christmas Day, December 25, and will then be fast-tracked via tardis to Australia.

With news of David Tennant's impending departure from the cult-hit series, there has been much intrigue and speculation surrounding who will be the 11th time lord. Will all finally be revealed in this Christmas special?

In Doctor Who: The Next Doctor, it's Christmas Eve 1851, and Cybermen stalk through the snow of Victorian London. However, when the Doctor (David Tennant) meets another Doctor (David Morrissey), the two must combine forces to stop the rise of the CyberKing. But, are two Doctors enough?

To watch a exclusive sneak preview visit here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLFli9i9Jw

Doctor Who: The Next Doctor will be available on ABC iView from Monday January 26, 2009.

ABC1 will then present an encore screening of series two of Doctor Who, each Tuesday night at 8.30pm, starting January 27, 2009.
the press release
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

I was really hoping proper Morrissey was going to be the new Doctor.

David Morrissey is alright, i dont think hed have been a great Doctor anyway, though, but i imagine they did that on purpose.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I found Morrissey's acting in the Christmas episode superior to Tennant's (this sounds like a battle between the Smiths and the Pet Shop Boys). He would have been a good Doctor, but it was obvious from the moment of the announcement of his appearance that he would not be the Doctor.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i guess i will find out on Sunday - always look forward to new doctor who :smt023
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Alright, if a new Doctor and a new season isn't enough to justify a revival of this thread, I don't know what is!

So, what do you all think of "The Eleventh Hour"? I really liked it myself. New title sequence/theme included. Smith definitely lived up to my expectations as well, and he's obviously having a blast playing the character. The scene in the kitchen was hilarious and on the whole, I thought the vibe was a lot more humourous than usual - a welcome climate change after the darkness of "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time". That said, Prisoner Zero's initial scene was freaking creepy, which gives me very high hopes for the Weeping Angels-episode! And there was a definite sense of urgency about the events.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to following this season. Steven Moffat is a brilliant writer, and while I really enjoy series 1-4, I'm positive he's going to be a better showrunner than Russell T Davies was. And while Tennant is still my favourite Doctor, I'd already say Matt Smith is pretty high up on the list.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i wont get to see it for a few more days. :(
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I thought Matt Smith did a good David Tennant impression...the Doctor who finds everything fun, racing about so quickly he forgets to explain to those he's with what's going on or what he's doing...even the touch of self-righteous arrogance...I'm willing to write it off as a "lingering personality aspects from the previous regeneration until the new regeneration takes hold" kind of thing, but I certainly hope Smith creates more of his own take on the character as the show progresses. I would hate to think that because the Tennant take was so successful they are going to try to make every doctor from now on try to fit that mold. Every Doctor before this has had their own distinct personalities and are all quite different from each other. Well, it is only his first episode, so I'll give him a chance. I did however quite like Karen Gillan as Amy Pond (really liked Caitlin Blackwood as the young Amelia too). I'm just not so sure about having her boyfriend/fiance(?) become part of the story lines as well. Seems a little too Rose and Mickey to me (or even a bit Gwen and Rhys from Torchwood). The story was okay. Nothing mind blowing, but not bad either. Even though it looked kinda cheesy, I loved the big eyeball spaceship.

So overall, not a bad start for our new Doctor. Could have been better, but hopefully that's exactly where things will be headed.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I'm pretty sure Matt Smith's Doctor will develop significantly throughout the rest of the series, on the basis of what he has said about his performance on Doctor Who Confidential. The early post-regenerative episodes are usually difficult because the writers are not familiar with the new Doctor's performance at that stage.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

oz1701 wrote:i wont get to see it for a few more days. :(
I torrented it. No other way for me to see it until it comes out on DVD. When that does happen, I'll definitely buy it to support the production team, though.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I'm very much sold on Matt Smith. Like a few other people I had my doubts and was uncertian but seeing him on Saturday he IS The Doctor. The special effects might have gone backwards (and I hope to eat those words by the time of episode 13) but I had no problem accepting him and the fact that 8 million saw his debut has stunned me. (I remember the days of McCoy, not a bad Doctor, but ratings back then were lucky to reach higher than 4.1 million)
Ah... but how will the show fare next week?
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

That was a pretty good episode! Interesting story, but I kind of expected that. Moffat has yet to disappoint me. Smith seems to be adding his own twist to the role now as well. His quirky behaviour reminded me of Troughton, but at the same time, the scene in the dungeon made it apparent that he has a very dark streak. Maybe even moreso than any other Doctor. So, all in all, I'm liking this series so far.

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode as well. Daleks in WW2. How cool will that be? :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

olzen wrote:That was a pretty good episode! Interesting story, but I kind of expected that. Moffat has yet to disappoint me. Smith seems to be adding his own twist to the role now as well. His quirky behaviour reminded me of Troughton, but at the same time, the scene in the dungeon made it apparent that he has a very dark streak. Maybe even moreso than any other Doctor. So, all in all, I'm liking this series so far.

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode as well. Daleks in WW2. How cool will that be? :D
For me, that episode fell down at the end. But yes, Matt Smith was still good and next week looks like a high benchmark!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

That was a pretty good episode. It felt like they were trying to fit too much into the time slot, though. There was so much unfulfilled potential with the "humans colonised in space" idea, and the setting wasn't really developed in as much depth as it could and should have been. Still, I think it had a bit of a classic series vibe, which I can only consider a good thing. I hope there are more episodes set in space because the series has been largely earthbound for far too long.

Next week's episode looks as though it may be the best Dalek episode in a long time.