Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Norbert Wilkins wrote::cry:
I missed it!

Didn't get back home in time after the FA Cup Final (good game btw), then went and got drunk on Sunday and forgot to watch the BBC Three repeat.

Damn damn damn damn damn ](*,)
You missed what was possibly the best episode of the series!

So who saw it tonight? It was all wrapped up a little too convieniently but still pretty good, nice to see them trying out new things with the Dr that was all good fun, they managed to keep it spooky too, tho nowhere near as spooky as last weeks. Spotted another nice moment that reminded me of Floyd in the dialogue...

''Whats your mothers name?''
''Matilda''

so whats the verdict people?
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

I want my mummy :lol:

Great episode.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

not as spooky as last week (which is a shame) - but if the conclusion was as spooky I doubt they'd be allowed to put it out at 7.00 on Saturdays.

a classic
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Kinda unrelated but my friends band covers the theme to doctor who to start their set each night :)
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I really enjoyed this two parter,....... I see that next week we're back with the boyfriend in Cardiff !! :roll:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Alternative 4 wrote:Kinda unrelated but my friends band covers the theme to doctor who to start their set each night :)
do you have a recording? Id like to hear it.

Useless fact number 40985: theres a Dr Who story from the Peter Davison era called ''Kinda'' tho its pronounced Kinder like the surprise egg thingys.
Stephen wrote:I really enjoyed this two parter,....... I see that next week we're back with the boyfriend in Cardiff !! :roll:
I think its going to be a let down after this story, looks like this is going to be a tough one to top tho, im not too keen on the return of the Slitheen, their previous story was OK but not a highlight of the series.

I witnessed something very amusing yesterday, there was a guy busking in Brighton with a saw and a bow playing the Dr Who theme, he had a rock version of it as a backing track playing through a small battery powered amp, it was brilliant, I just had to stick a quid in his hat! :D
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

Saw the DVD of the first 3 episodes in Tescos this morning, must resist and wait for the complete box set.

Bought Team America instead :)
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Alternative 4 wrote:Kinda unrelated but my friends band covers the theme to doctor who to start their set each night :)
do you have a recording? Id like to hear it.

:D
No I dont sorry, if I get one ill post it for ya. One guitar plays the creepy lead while the other plays the backing part (which reminds me of black sabbaths children of the grave) and the dum play some cool percussion thing. Great stuff
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Alternative 4 wrote:No I dont sorry, if I get one ill post it for ya. One guitar plays the creepy lead while the other plays the backing part (which reminds me of black sabbaths children of the grave) and the dum play some cool percussion thing. Great stuff
That would be great if you could get one, hopefully they'll record their next show. From your description it sounds like it could be closer to One Of These Days, particularly as Gilmour plays a snippet of the Dr. Who theme, which also makes a nice cameo during Sheep too :D

Edit: I started a thread on a Dr Who forum about Floyd / Who similarities and someone posted this review of the recent 2 parter which is either so brilliant or so scary that I had to share it here...
PinkyFloyd from the Outpost Gallifrey Forum wrote:It was great to see young Jamie return In The Flesh, though the Dr was treading on Thin Ice with his hope that the nanobots would work it out, and his feeling that all was lost came across as Another Brick In The Wall of his pessimism - though when they did work it out, for the Dr and us viewers it was one of The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, and certainly not Another Brick In The Wall (2)!. Jamie's reuniting with his Mother brought a tear to my eye, as did Rose telling her that there would be no 'Goodbye Blue Sky' at war's end - though the Empty Spaces in her heart at that point over Jamie were only hinted at. Rose's Young Lust did seem just a tiny bit intrusive. I almost took on One Of My Turns at the end, however, with the establishment of 'dancing' as a euphemism for sex, when the Dr does just exactly that with Rose, though it's clear that he's saying Don't Leave Me Now - I guess that his loneliness would without her would leave him behind Another Brick In The Wall (3).
And what thrills too in this story! Rose in part1 on the barrage balloon, falling away and probably thinking Goodbye Cruel World, until Jack's startling intervention "Hey You, switch off your phone!"
And the Dr opening the door of the house where the child had been, the spooky music rising as he wonders Is There Anybody Out There into the darkness. There's another great spooky moment at the end of the episode when we see inside the child's gasmask and realise that there's Nobody Home. I suppose for a more british atmosphere we could have heard a song by Vera lynn, but no biggee, and it was also great that thanks to the Dr's intervention at the end he could Bring The Boys Back Home from that dreadful state of being Comfortably Numb.
Well, The Show Must Go On, and the good Dr's back In The Flesh (2) next week, which looks scary enough to make me Run Like Hell for the back of the sofa again, so I'll likely spend the week Waiting For The Worms to start wriggling in my stomach again!!
I suppose I should Stop here, as I've got to face The Trial of another working week Outside The Wall of my Whodom.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Now I'm sure the more knowledgable ones will correct me, but I think I heard somewhere that it is enshrined in Who lore that Gallifreyans (and by default the Doctor) can only have twelve incarnations. Rather like sharks have seven sets of teeth and after that have to go for banana squishies sucked through a straw. If this is true, then if Christopher Eccleston leaves that'd mean there could be only three possible Doctors left. They've already wasted two on the TV movie - Paul McGann and Sylvester McCoy - and of those Sylvester McCoy was the only one who looked like he was having fun. Plus he didn't look anything like as daft as he used to, and he didn't have that irritating Ace hanging around (what was it with those 80's sidekicks?)

So, here's my radical solution to the problem. Bring back Sylvester McCoy, as the older, wiser, sadder and more confused Doctor we saw in the TV movie. Then make an entire story arc (like the Keys To Time one many years ago) based around the eradication of the Gallifreyan race, throughout eternity, by the Daleks. And no sidekicks, if possible. That would be absolutely brilliant.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

12? I thought it was 14. Well, my memory's a little dodgy these days. I think if it comes down to it, they will find a plausible way for the Doctor to circumvent the 12 regenerations rule. I guess when they made up that rule they could have never imagined that it actually might be something they would have to address someday. It's too bad Christopher Eccelston is only going for one season though. I like his interpretation of the doctor. Would have been nice to see him flesh the character out through a few seasons. Also would have put off the question of what they are going to do when the Doctor reaches his last regeneration for a while longer.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

OK, just to show my truly sad credentials heres how it works.

A timelord has 12 regenerations which total 13 lives, this was first brought up in the fantastic Tom Baker story the Deadly Assain (where he has no companion).

However, the current series is left a little vague, altho there are references to previous enemies it is still uncertain whether this is a continuation of Paul McGann's ill-fated 1 time TV Movie or if this is a fresh start with a timelord thats quite simply in the know. Of course thanks to the likes of Big Finish Paul McGann still is the DR which just confuses things more!

As seen in the TV Movie the Master, a fellow renegade timelord, was able to adapt himself to further regenerations, admittedly these were by underhand tactics (which date back as far as The Keeper of Trakkan in 1980), admittedly the Dr would not normally regenerate in this manner but even if we do reach the thirteenth life-cycle shortly after Neil, sorry, David Tennant's time is up then its not unfeasible to assume that there may be a way for the Dr to continue, particularly as at this point hes apparanetly the last timelord?????

Of course the other thing to consider is the most blindingly obvious, Dr Who continuity is probably the most flexible aspect of the show and is constantly changed series to series, sometimes episode to episode, so Id take the 13 lives with a pinch of salt and see what happens when the time comes, personally Im gutted Eccleston is leaving, Ive really grown fond of him over the last few weeks and think hes done an excellent job of revitalising a role that many considered dead, Mr. Tennant certainly has his work cut out!
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Didn't David Tennant play Quatermass' bespectacled sidekick in the recent BBC THREE rehash? He looks familiar, for some reason. If so I think he'd be a very good Doctor. I dread to think of the trash the ReTarD will churn up for him though, favoured male lead from Casanova and all...

Going back to the Sylvester McCoy thing, it just occurs to me that at some point we really ought to see the war between the Timelords and the Daleks. I think there is room for an entire series worth of extented drama there, and as it is set before Christopher Eccleston (which we know because he constantly refers to it, and because he sees his new face for the first time in Rose) but but after McCoy that leaves a choice of two: McCoy or Withnail.

I like your suggestion that the Eccleston and Withnail Whos are one and the same (perhaps a "difficult" Chrysalis stage.) That would claw back another regeneration, and leave the way open for the return of McCoy, who was absolutely excellent in the TV movie, and who I think deserves another crack at it.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Final Episode :Now thats what i call worth waiting for :D I loved every minute of it.
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

Stephen wrote:Final Episode :Now thats what i call worth waiting for :D I loved every minute of it.
I was a bit dissapointed - at least the 'Anne Droid' took out a couple of Daleks 8)