The REAL Echoes: Best Of Pink Floyd

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Mother wrote:FVP: Did you make that up *before* you heard about Echoes or after? I used to make up fictitious bands all the time.
After! I read a Roger Waters interview in Classic Rock (I'll put that up in my articles section at some point) in which he mentioned said title. Didn't think it was that bad, actually... :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:
Mother wrote:FVP: Did you make that up *before* you heard about Echoes or after? I used to make up fictitious bands all the time.
After! I read a Roger Waters interview in Classic Rock (I'll put that up in my articles section at some point) in which he mentioned said title. Didn't think it was that bad, actually... :lol:
OK, I was just wondering if maybe you were a divine psychic or something! :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Sorry, but can i just ask why the hell Keep Talking made it on to the best of? That song was truelly awful. Fearless could have takne it's place.

And don't get me started on Learning To Fly and Sorrow! One, but both shoouldn't get on. And why is Marooned only an extract?
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Because David, in the end it's mostly all subjective !
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yeah fair enougfh, but if anyone here would place Keep Talking in the 26 best Pink Floyd tracks then i would be amased. Atleast OTTA would have fitted in better, it was a good song.

Anyway, this may be my last post for a short while, my pc's mucked up and i'm posting for an internet cafe. As soon as my moniter is fixed i will post again, but until then i bid you all a fond farewell, and goodnight. :cry:

In saying that i'tll probably be fixed by the end of the weekend, and my moderation may continue :D
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

haha, no moderator ! LOLOLOLOLOL
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

No moderator hee..hee, @#$% ^&*% ##@! *&^%$ @@#$. Just love getting that Blue streak out.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am still moderating so be good!!! :lol:
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

i am , you are , and we are , all UREA :shock:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

A little more clarification on the "Some of the Parts" pun translation...

When discussing the value of a finished piece of art, it is said that the artwork, the whole, should be greater than the sum of its parts. It's from the gestalt theory--in isolation the parts cannot be understood in absence of their context and counterparts.

That probably has Floydian significance in and of itself.

So if they were to go with David's initial idea of calling Echoes "Some of the Parts" that would be saying that those selected pieces in a "best of" collection are only worth their sum, which would kind of be true because the "wholes" that they came from, i.e., the original albums, were worth more as a whole album than just a collection of the individual songs, whereas Echoes, is really only a sum of its parts.

Hope that makes sense. :?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Spinoza is correct in saying that it is all subjective. I would have liked to have seen "Two Suns" and "Careful" on there because I think those are 2 of their best songs. I can only imagine the "discussions" that took place when they were deciding.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Everybody has songs they think should be on the best of album.Couldn't put everything that was good on it because it would be 8 or 10 cds so thats why I bought the regular cds.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

grateful pink wrote:
Tommy wrote:be reasonable, theres no way echoes could have included all of the essential songs, theres too many. i think they did an ok job picking them, but they should have dropped bike
Bike is an excellent song, IMO. I think the whole idea is bull****. There should be no "best of" PF. They are not that kind of band and are not conducive to that type of format. It's just a new way to make old money.
Sorry, but I needed to get that off of my chest.
yea, they could have gone w/o echoes i agree, but i think this was part of the contract with the record company or something, so they had no choice