I Bought David's DVD Earlier...

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:
Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I felt bad for Rick during Breakthrough :(
Could you fill me in on that?
He seemed extremely nervous.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Ahh, I see. :) :? :cry:

Apparently he made a mistake and they had to start again. :roll: :wink:
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Probably the effects of the drug use have messed him up mentally..

That along with maybe not being that confident to begin with probably has ruined the guy to be honest.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Cod that's depressing. :(
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

a huge leap from being nervous to being destroyed ?? Rick seemed nervous, but sang really great. About drugs spoken, i heard somewhere that Rog messed with drugs also and that they destroyed his voice, so that it is very weak, and harsh , almost non-existend on ATD. I really think the vocals on ATD are poor. Could it be from a mental breakdown / drugaddiction of Roger somewhere after 1987. He's mostly wearing sunglasses too, and in 1991 i think in Sevilla, his voice was very weak almost absent too.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

I was just giving my thoughts on it..

Rick has been known for his drug abuse over the years so I figure that can harm ones nerves. Maybe he was the type of person that over the years needed drugs to be calm on stage.. maybe he's clean now and gets real nervous. I don't know.. I was just giving my thoughts here.

As far as your ridiculous comeback about Roger. I've always felt that Roger clearly wanted to sound older on that ATD record... it's the vibe he wanted to go with. My mom wears sunglasses but she's not on drugs or ever had a mental breakdown. :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

NewEarthMud wrote:I was just giving my thoughts on it..

Rick has been known for his drug abuse over the years so I figure that can harm ones nerves. Maybe he was the type of person that over the years needed drugs to be calm on stage.. maybe he's clean now and gets real nervous. I don't know.. I was just giving my thoughts here.

As far as your ridiculous comeback about Roger. I've always felt that Roger clearly wanted to sound older on that ATD record... it's the vibe he wanted to go with. My mom wears sunglasses but she's not on drugs or ever had a mental breakdown. :lol:
Probably you never saw that concert in Sevilla. It's pathetic how Roger tries to "sing", but his voice is almost gone. Just the same hoarse voice as on ATD. BTW, my brother, not as big a Floyd fan as me, does like TFC and Rogers voice, but not the one from ATD. If Roger tried to make a killer-album by singing in that way, he did the wrong move.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

lol

Ok?

I personally like how his voice sounds very old and wise on ATD. His voice obviously improved and the ITF record proved that.. but I prefer the way it sounded on ATD to be quite honest, atleast on the ATD songs.

You're right, I've never heard or saw the concert in Sevilla.

I saw him in 2000 I believe it was in the states... and he was perfect. :lol:

I've also never heard of drugs ruining a persons voice. Maybe cigs but never drugs..? I could be wrong. Elvis Presley used hard drugs for over ten years yet at the end of his life his voice was stronger than ever.. almost like an opera singer.

People can have "off" nights.. you named just one performance. Axl Rose has cancelled probably over a hundred shows in his career due to throat problems. Maybe Roger had throat problems or had a bad sore throat?

I dunno

:?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

NewEarthMud wrote:I've also never heard of drugs ruining a persons voice. Maybe cigs but never drugs..?
I've never heard of that either. I've also never heard of Roger doing lots of drugs (other than the hash thing in the early 70s from that recent interview)

He smoked a lot. Early Floyd pictures always show him with a cigarette. In the Pompeii video he's smoking at the lunchbar or whatever that is and while in the studio.

He also screamed a lot too. :lol: As much as I love hearing each new concert recording of CWTAE that I find somewhere, I always have to wonder what the effects of doing that for years every night on tour had to do to his voice.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

NewEarthMud wrote:
People can have "off" nights.. you named just one performance. Axl Rose has cancelled probably over a hundred shows in his career due to throat problems. Maybe Roger had throat problems or had a bad sore throat?

I dunno

That's what i hate: i was talking about ATD and that bad voice, then i gave a second example and what is your next replie: "maybe he had an "off" night." Do you see the stupidity of that response??
And no, i don't like his voice on ATD , let's say, i don't like it as much as his voice on TFC. And yes, ITF is better and in Antwerp ( 13/05/2002 ) Rogers voice was perfect. In fact, i'm only asking for the reason of that IMO bad voice on ATD.

EDITED BY ADMIN - Saying somebody's opinion is stupid is very much against the forum rules. No aggression or bashing of other forum users. If you disagree, state it. Don't break the rules by being rude and anti-social.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

I agree, Mother.

Some of that yelling he used to do... ouch.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Spinoza wrote:
NewEarthMud wrote:

I dunno

That's what i hate: i was talking about ATD and that bad voice, then i gave a second example and what is your next replie: "maybe he had an "off" night." Do you see the stupidity of that response??
And no, i don't like his voice on ATD , let's say, i don't like it as much as his voice on TFC. And yes, ITF is better and in Antwerp ( 13/05/2002 ) Rogers voice was perfect. In fact, i'm only asking for the reason of that IMO bad voice on ATD.
First of all you had no idea what I would reply and I take offense to you basically giving yourself a reason to lash out like an absurd human being and say that my responses are filled with "stupidity".

I feel that Roger has tended to sing in a very "old" way for a while. He does it quite a bit on the Wall Live in Berlin. He sings in a very "old" voice when at other times on the record he sings in a perfectly normal sounding voice. I really do believe that he attempted to go with that type of sound for Amused to Death. I can't see a person's voice being destroyed and damaged that way and then all of a sudden he wakes up and his voice is perfect again and he decides to go tour a whole bunch and record a "live" record of all things.