The official neptune pink floyd Radiohead thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

if someone will buy me a plane ticket im there
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Well i dunno bout pink floyd, but it promises to be the second best music festival of the year in Britain.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Tommy wrote:if someone will buy me a plane ticket im there
Me too! :D
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I'm pretty bored right now so I'm going to write loads here. Sorry.

Well, I used to be the biggest goddamn Radiohead fan in the world. their second record, 1995's 'the Bends', is a work of utter brilliance. Thom's words connected with me in a way paralleled only by Roger Waters. The music on that record and the b sides and unissued tracks of the time were truly awesome. Forward facing music, new ideas; they didn't rely too much on stuff that had already been done which is something I totally respect. 'OK Computer' 2 years later is also excellent. It pushed the envelope further but never got too indulgent. They lost me after 2000's 'Kid A'. They seemed not to bother with good songwriting (I believe 'experimental albums' are easy) I suppose it was inevitable - they had gained a position where they could do what ever they wanted. Boy did they indulge. There was hardly any guitars, there were lots of electronica and cold cold beats. 2001's 'Amnesiac' was slightly better - the highlight being the brilliant and chilling 'I might be wrong', but I never got too excited - bands expire, case and point: 'Pink Floyd' post-Waters.

But I'm wrong! I've just downloaded all of the forthcoming new album - 'Hail to the thief'. I gotta say; there's some pretty good songs on there. Almost a return to form - good songs and guitars; my favorite combination. I'm very much looking forward to their forthcoming tour.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Radioheads new album is called "Hail to the Thief" which is very apt as after listening to it I felt like I had been robbed!
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

they are the most over rated band of 90s... Kid A and bends were OK but amneasiac and OK computer were total crap.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Uh, Nirvana were by far the most over rated band of the 90's. They were like a more commercial version of the Pixies and couldn't manage a whole album. Unplugged was good though, but Nevermind, Inutero and Bleach were all half good. They could do quiet songs but they're grugne ones were often just attrocious.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

David Smith wrote:Uh, Nirvana were by far the most over rated band of the 90's. They were like a more commercial version of the Pixies and couldn't manage a whole album. Unplugged was good though, but Nevermind, Inutero and Bleach were all half good. They could do quiet songs but they're grugne ones were often just attrocious.
Nirvana?? I have never heard of them :lol:
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Radiohead is :twisted:!
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Matti wrote:they are the most over rated band of 90s... Kid A and bends were OK but amneasiac and OK computer were total crap.
How was Radiohead overrated when they got practically no radioplay and their fan base was considered a "cult following?" And how many times have you listened to OK Computer? I think because of Paranoid Android alone the album is much much better than "total crap." I certainly respect your opinion and all, but I really don't understand it.

Here's another example: Consider the attention Nickelback or Creed received against their respective talent, then weigh that against the same comparison for Radiohead. Who is more overrated?

Oh, and I agree with the Nirvana thing. They have some very catchy stuff, but if Kurt Kobain hadn't taken the easy way out, his band would be forgotten today. Just my opinion. :wink:
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

You hit the nail on the donkey in my opionon Richter. Radiohead is Under-rated if anything. Radiohead's innovation is something that can't be ignored. Some of my favorite bands are because of their innovation:

1. Pink Floyd
?. Radiohead
?. Flaming Lips
?. Beck

Couldn't decide the other 3's order. Man check out this web site. Its an old 2 page forum post, you dont have to sign up to view. I found it will searching for the Pink Floyd and innovated on google:

http://rateyourmusic.com/board_message? ... 20&start=0

They get into it pretty heavily. Reminds me of us and dave + roger. Made me terribly mad at parts, but I know they are just ignorant. They mention Radiohead as well, thats why I'm posting it here in the 'official radiohead thread' :)
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Wow Meddler, I certainly hope that RateYourMusic thread isn't representative of the music-listening populace as a whole. I had no idea there was so much dislike for PF out there! It's sad that so few came to the band's defense, but it seems that any such posts would fall on deaf and ignorant ears anyway.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

Since my knowledge of contemporary rock is pretty poor, esp. for an 18-yr old (the only 90s bands I follow are Tool and the Flaming Lips) I know nothing about Radiohead save that they had a cameo on South Park once. I figure I should give em a try tho, what would be a good album to get?

The ppl slamming on PF make me think a bit of how the punk generation back in the 70s ripped on the Floyd and other "prog rock" acts as establishment and such, esp. how some of them held Syd in high regard, as did a number of punkers.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Radiohead has changed alot from their early days. Much like Pink Floyd, and Flaming Lips. Id suggest to go in order from start to latest, or start off with:

4.Pablo Honey
2.The Bends
1.OK Computer
3.Kid A
6.Amnesiac
5.Hail to the Theif

Those aren't numbered by how good they are, just by if you want to see how they have progressed in an interesting way. Each is pretty different. I like them all.

"Yesterday I woke up, suckin a lemon...) =;
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

http://www.nme.com/news/104964.htm

neat little thing about Hail to the Thief. I called it, and it works! Check it out-

Its pretty weird though, just like my Radiohead!