Krautrock

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Krautrock

Post by Massed Gadgets »

flashback wrote:here's another band I found-Tyburn Tall.Don't know weither or not you would call them krautrock or not but they are a german prog band of that era.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07cpXGL ... re=related
They certainly have quite the Hammond organ thing going on, don't they? There were all sorts of bands coming out of Germany during that era, late 60's and 70's, not all of them what we would define as 'Krautrock' today...there were a lot of basically just prog and heavy rock bands too. I'd never heard of these guys. Thanks for pointing them out!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

They sound closer to Deep Purple than to any other Krautrock band I have heard.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

here's what progarchives says about them

A hard Hammond-driven prog quintet from Speyer (Upper middle German Rhine river south of Mannheim), emanating from the ruins of 60's formation The Screamers and having recorded only one sole album. Their name was taken from the tall tree that served as a hanging tree in the small English town of Tyburn during the Cromwell era.

In the course of spring 70, the group was augmented by a flute player and keyboardist Göttsche and bassist Gowa (also a trained pianist) started writing a three piece suite called Autogonia and premiered in a concert that also consisted of adapted pieces of Bach (Brandenburg concerto), Dvorak (New World symphony). The show was recorded and was released by Garden Of Delight in 1997. Touring Germany in support of Golden Earring, early Frumpy and Renaissance, but by the start of next year, Göttsche and the flute player had left and replaced by Magin (organ) and singer/percussionist Fresenius, which caused their musical direction to head a bit jazzier.

In Spring 72, the group decided to record four tracks from their well-rehearsed show in the studio and issued a private pressing of 200 copies, of which 100 are reputed to have burned in a fire in a record shop. This was probably the most expensive prog vinyl in Germany until Penner than Garden Of Delight re-issued it, but from a vinyl, since the master tapes, but no miracles could be done as in the poor vinyl production, tape noises where already audible, but they added two bonus tracks. The band managed to survive until late 75, undergoing more line-up changes, touring for East of eden, Nine Days Wonder, Amon Duul II and Ekseption

:::: Bio written by Hugues Chantraine, Belgium ::::
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I think that Krautrock is sometimes used as a generic term for all German bands (it was a word first used by the British press as an insult but stuck). Personally I tend to think of Krautrock as the more experimental end of German rock music with artists such as Can, Faust, Amon Duul etc but a lot of bands from that period were emulating UK hard rock groups such as Deep Purple as Danielcaux pointed out. The Kosmische Music that is possibly more of an accurate term became very much Germany's own take on rock, something that they pretty much developed on their own rather than copying other nations, even though they were influenced by other performers of course.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I just picked up a copy of the latest Record Collector which has an article on the more collectable Krautrock albums.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Stephen wrote:I think that Krautrock is sometimes used as a generic term for all German bands (it was a word first used by the British press as an insult but stuck). Personally I tend to think of Krautrock as the more experimental end of German rock music with artists such as Can, Faust, Amon Duul etc but a lot of bands from that period were emulating UK hard rock groups such as Deep Purple as Danielcaux pointed out. The Kosmische Music that is possibly more of an accurate term became very much Germany's own take on rock, something that they pretty much developed on their own rather than copying other nations, even though they were influenced by other performers of course.
I think of "kosmische musik" as a more specific term than Krautrock. In my mind, it tends to have more to do with electronics than rock music. Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Harmonia, Cluster, some Popol Vuh, Conrad Schnitzler, Michael Hoenig, and others of that general style.

'Krautrock' to me, means post-war German bands who embraced elements American and British rock music, but added their own Germanic influence into the music. It was the post-war German youth trying to come up with their own identity after the gradual de-Nazification of their national culture, and in the face of the expanding influence of America over the rest of the world. The bands who slavishly copied the styles of bands from the UK and the US don't really feel like part of the "movement" to me.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

PublicImage wrote: The bands who slavishly copied the styles of bands from the UK and the US don't really feel like part of the "movement" to me.
Du Weist Schon (apologies to German speakers for my poor grammar): true Krautrock bands purposefully distanced themselves from the Uk/US scene - which coincides with your feelings.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

flashback wrote:Streetmark - Welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcZq9JPj ... grec_index
Nice find, never heard of them. The intro kinda sounds like Welcome To The Machine, Kraftwerk and the new Tron soundtrack all mixed in one. The rest of the song sounds like Lamb era Genesis. So I guess this classifies as space rock, krautrock AND prog rock! :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

PublicImage wrote:
Stephen wrote:Kosmische Music
"kosmische musik"
Time for a new thread!!!! <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

nosaj wrote: Time for a new thread!!!! <ii> \:D/ <ii> \:D/
and hopefully whoever starts it will spell it correctly, unlike me. :D
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I'm not sure it this was already posted here, but thought some of you might enjoy it as much as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B89-69icyc

Edit: I just noticed that this documentary had its own thread, too bad the links are now dead.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Just ordered this from Amazon having meant to get it months ago.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Stephen wrote:Just ordered this from Amazon having meant to get it months ago.
I've been thinking of ordering that too, it looks good. You'll have to let us know what you think.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Will do Jeff. At a quick glance it looks like it's going to be pretty interesting with articles on all the major ( and lesser known ) bands, along with chapters on the record labels such as Ohr, Brain etc and the individual producers too.