Krautrock

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

PublicImage wrote: I must say that I haven't really been too impressed by their studio work
I agree completely...
(or at least what I've heard of it, which is Tago Mago). They sound far better live, much more interesting than the studio recordings.
...until I heard "Saw Delight", now that's good studio stuff by Can! I like it a lot better than the "older classics".
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

PublicImage wrote: Wow, I downloaded a Can bootleg today, and it is amazing. I must say that I haven't really been too impressed by their studio work (or at least what I've heard of it, which is Tago Mago). They sound far better live, much more interesting than the studio recordings.

If you like Can i highly recommend this: You can buy it in two versions - the "standard" Version has 2 DVD's with a Concert from 1972, Interviews, Documentaries, The whole Discography etc...The more expensive Version features an additional Cd with Songs from the Solo - Projects of the Can - Members
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I take back my comments about Can's studio work! Tago Mago is absolutely amazing! it just took a few listens to get into it...Damo Suzuki's vocals can be it bit hard to get into!

Halleluhwah is great fun to play along to on guitar...
gonza_ms
Blade
Blade

Post by gonza_ms »

PublicImage

Tago Mago is unquestionably great, who disputes that :)
But you are to be nearly knocked out while listening to Future Days :wink:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I finally got Hawk Meets Penguin by Amon Duul II yesterday. It's very different to their earlier stuff (obviously it's not going to be the same without Falk Rogner, Chris Karrer, etc.). It's still pretty cool though - there are some totally freaked out vocals on 'Meditative Music from the Third O before the Producers', a bit like Phallus Dei (female vocals, most likely trying to make it a bit more like the lineup with Renate Knaup). Unlike the earlier albums, it's got quite a lot of emphasis on synths. Maybe that has something to do with Dave Anderson's involvement with Hawkwind after he left the original Amon Duul II... Still, there are some pretty cool guitar leads from John Weinzierl. Just don't go into this album expecting stuff like Yeti or Phallus Dei - it's not like the old style, but it is still pretty damn good! I'd recommend getting it if you can find it.

I'll be sure to check out Future Days some time soon, gonza_ms. Thanks for the recommendation!
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

Future Days is far more relaxing and much softer than Tago Mago (which is the best album Can ever recorded in my opinion) but it's a great Album and definitely one of Can's best works.

I don't know too much about the later Amon D??l - the "newest" D??l Album i own is "Almost Alive" from 1977 and there are still some nice tracks on it.

During the last days i've listened to the first two NEU! Albums at least 5 Times...i just can't get enough of them - their first Album is one of the best German Records i've heard so far
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I agree, NEU! really are fantastic. Have you heard anything by Harmonia? It is a side project by Michael Rother with members of Cluster. Pretty good stuff, but not as good as NEU!. Musik Von is a brilliant album
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Der Can DVD ist sehr gut!
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

No, haven't heard about Harmonia yet but i'll try to downloa...?hh buy some of their stuff :D
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Ah, good to see this thread active again! I've heard Virus and Mythos. Virus do some pretty cool stuff. Actually, that part you thought sounded a little bit like Celestial Voices was because it actually was! Virus had a penchant for sticking (credited) covers of songs right in the middle of their jams. They have another one that suddenly breaks into a Rolling Stones tune before veering off into stranger territory.

As for Tago Mago, glad you discovered it's coolness. It's definitely my favourite Can studio album. I love Future Days too, but it seems a little slicker...Tago Mago is mystical, dark, dangerous and groovin'...I like that.

Definitely check out some of the early Tangerine Dream, pre-electronic sequencer days, like Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem. Electronic Meditation is interesting, though oddly titled since there are no electronics on it whatsoever! Klaus Schulze plays drums. I think he was better once he got into the keyboards. The then 17 year old Chris Franke played amazing drums on the second TD album Alpha Centauri (in Fly and Collision of Comas Sola), but then he turned to keyboards too.

A couple of obscure Krautrock bands I've been listening to lately: Xhol and Minotaurus.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Funnily enough, I'm listening to Xhol right now (a live bootleg from 1969...the song that's on right now has kind of stolen the main riff from Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix!). Pretty cool band, though! Never heard of Minotaurus before, I'll have to check them out some time.
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

Strangely there are two Krautrock Bands called Minotaurus......the first one released only one album called "Fly Away" and the other one (which was more a Folkrock - Band) released also only one Album called "Rain over Thessalia" - so which one do you mean Massed Gadgets?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

This would be the more prog rocky one...I only have a few tracks on Psychedelic Underground compilations but I like them...

Oh, another absolute favourite of mine is Yatha Sidhra...they only ever released one album, A Meditation Mass...but what an album! And another favourite Tangerine Dream album is Green Desert...finds them right between the experimental rhythmless Ohr era and the sequenced Virgin era. It's got some lovely guitar work, reminscent a little of Floyd, on the title track.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Faust!...'cause I wanted to see the Krautrock thread back at the top of the page...'cause they're Godlike...'cause "So Far" is in my all time top ten
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Funnily enough, I was just thinking of listening to Faust IV...maybe later..It's a Bit of Pain has a great guitar solo! The tone is incredible!