Krautrock

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Obviously you can't comprehend how difficult Slayer's music is to play.

Maybe your ears are just too sensitive for the volume. That's ok, I'll hold your hand :P
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I have no idea as to how difficult to play Slayer's music is, as I have never attempted to learn anything of theirs. As you know, this thread is about krautrock, and as Slayer are not Germany they do not qualify as krautrock. This is hardly the place to talk about them.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Let me remind you that you brought them up in the first place, probably just to get a rise out of me. Since you have no idea how hard their music is to play, I dont see how you can judge them as musicians, idiot. :wink:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

At what point did I judge them as musicians?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

PublicImage wrote:At what point did I judge them as musicians?
PublicImage wrote: Keith Emerson is a much better musician than any member of Slayer
Now, I'm sure what you meant to say was you like ELP better than Slayer. That's fine.

"A tad hypocritical" :P
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

Bought a couple of Krautrock Vinyls during the last 2 months and i can really recommend all of them:

Guru Guru - Tango Fango (fine Krautrock with some latin elements and the typical Guru guru - Humour)
Wallenstein - Cosmic Century (symphonic Prog with mellotron, organ etc.)
Wallenstein Blitzkrieg
Ash Ra Tempel - Starring Rosi (don't need to say anything about the gods of Krautrock)
Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
Ash Ra Tempel - Inventions For Electric guitar
Birth Control - Plastic People (great, great Album - easily the best of them - their most progressive Record)
Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure
Tangerine Dream - Logos...Live At The Dominion (awesome live Record - i would call this music from another planet)
Bokaj Retsiem - Psychedelic Underground (weird, psychedelic Stuff - either you like it or you hate it)
Kraftwerk - First Album (Sounds a lot like the later recorded NEU! - Albums)
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

How is Inventions For Electric Guitar? I've been meaning to get that one for a while now..

Kraftwerk's first is great, isn't it? Very different to their later output, but just as good. Brilliant music
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

PublicImage wrote:How is Inventions For Electric Guitar? I've been meaning to get that one for a while now..

Kraftwerk's first is great, isn't it? Very different to their later output, but just as good. Brilliant music
Inventions For Electric Guitar is nice but a lot more Ambient than the first Ash Ra Records - not that raw or agressive as older tracks like "Amboss" or so.

I also like the first Kraftwerk very much - specially because of the fact that it sounds a lot like the NEU! - Albums (Klaus Dinger, one of the two NEU! - members plays drums on this Album)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I like Inventions...it is totally different from the Ash Ra Temple albums....closer to the Ash Ra stuff, but a little more experimental...it's like classic Tangerine Dream/Klaus Schulze Berlin school electronic music except that everything is done on Gottsching's guitar.

I think all the Ash Ra Tempel albums are great, even Starring Rosi...I don't know why it gets criticized so much...yeah, it's different from the other ones, but what's wrong with that? Ash Ra Tempel does groovy space funk. It's not as good as their debut, or Schwingungen, or Join Inn, but I would say it's better than Seven Up.

I love the early Kraftwerk albums. Try Tonefloat by The Organization if you can find it...it's basically Kraftwerk before they were called Kraftwerk, very experimental Krautrock stuff...lots of percussion, organ, flute, guitar...similar to Kraftwerk 1. Kraftwerk 2 and Ralf and Florian were the first albums where the classic Kraftwerk sound started to emerge, but they were still quite different. I love all of them.

Ah, Logos! I got that when it first came out on vinyl. I had some friends pick it up for me when they were in England because it wasn't available in North America yet. I was doing an electronic radio music program at the time, and was in the course of a 14 hour (through 14 weeks) retrospective of Tangerine Dream, from start to present, and that was my coup de grace...the North American radio premiere of Logos. Still love that album! Force Majeure is a good one too, perhaps their most "progressive rock" styled album.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Another good Krautrock resource here, for those interested:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathule/ ... ckers.html
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

Interesting stuff!

This book is also very helpful: http://www.cosmic-price-guide.com/

i bought it about half a year ago - it's basically a price guide but it's highly recommendable if you collect Krautrock records and you want to check their value. It also has a beautiful section filled with hundreds of pictures of Krautrock Lp's and Krautrock - singles.....you can find the cover - artwork of nearly every Krautrock album in this book
Sheepie
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sheepie »

This is my Krautrotop:

not in particular order

Can - ege bamyasi okrashoten
Amon Duul - Yeti (i love the improvisation here)
Neu! - Neu! 2
Faust - IV
Agitation Free - Malesh and Second :shock:
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

Sheepie wrote:This is my Krautrotop:

not in particular order

Can - ege bamyasi okrashoten
Amon Duul - Yeti (i love the improvisation here)
Neu! - Neu! 2
Faust - IV
Agitation Free - Malesh and Second :shock:
I like them all very much except the Agitation free albums because i haven't heard them yet
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

What a great thread this is. I am keen to get into a bit more krautrock, but am limited by what I know. So far I have the following:

Kraftwerk - five or six discs and a couple of DVDs (inc one cool VOIO)
T. Dream - three box sets, and five or six discs
NEU! - NEU! 75
Amon Duul II - Yeti, plus another with Calvert on it (forgotten the title)
Can - Tago Mago and Future, plus Can 2DVD/CD set

Plus various tracks on Cleopatra compilations and others.

Has anyone heard Farflung's cover of Can's "Future Days"? That is damn good (as is their cover of "The Nile Song").

I am thinking of getting Amon Duul's "Psychedelic Underground" CD on an NZ auction site, but it is not cheap. Is it good?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Hey Pat, that's certainly a solid start to any Krautrock collection...some definite classics there! A few you may want to look into are Ash Ra Tempel...their first is a space rock classic, but all their early albums are great stuff, and Faust...their first two and IV are all excellent. Their third, The Faust Tapes is good too, but quite different, being sort of a cut-up collage of many different sounds.

As for Psychedelic Underground, I've only heard clips and read things, so I can't give a strong recommendation one way or the other. It's by Amon D??l, which is a different band than Amon D??l II. They both had their origins in a Munich based commune in the 60's, but Amon D??l were far more improvisational and experimental in nature (an apparently more oriented towards multi-media), really throwing any kind of song structure out the window. So it all depends on whether you like that type of thing or not!