Suggestions for Forum

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I must admit, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. :wink:
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Please PM me. Need a dose of Bong :D [-o< :mrgreen:
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

[quote="Pugs on the Wing"]I like this suggestion.

I also like the fact that Keith is considering the one-week ban.

I understand the whole "I pay for my site...you don't" concept. I am a webmaster myself and hate it when someone starts telling me what's wrong with my sites and what my content should/should not be. The difference, however, is that my sites are my sites, no one else's. Once you put up a message board and start getting a community involvement the dynamic changes. You are still the master of your domain, but how you run it now has to be subjected somewhat to those involved in your community. Some person (I am talking from my experiences a couple years ago which has absolutely nothing in this world to do with Pink Floyd or music at all...just so you know) while asking for "community involvement" ran his "community website" like Saddam Hussein and anyone who deviated slightly or asked the wrong question or tried to state their position which was opposed to the webmaster, was removed permanently and banned, not to mention demonized by said webmaster and his little yes-men/yes-women. He'd throw temper tantrums and use the same, tired excuse "This is MY website, I can do what I want...waaaah!" True, he paid for it, but without his contributors, his community, he had NO content. Of course he had an endless supply of content from those that were always willing to kiss his butt, but pretty soon, that corner of the web started to see what a webnazi he was, as he systematically eliminated people for some minor "infraction." I think his whole community page thing folded about a year or so later.

I was actually rather proud of myself for getting banned from his site. :) But I must say it was rather painful when it happened.

I do not know the reasons RPITI was banned here, but I do know that the polls he was posting did seem to rub Keith the wrong way. I did not see the beginnings of a Rog v. Dave fight at all in his polls, but that was just me. So it made me wonder, are any of us safe? Would I be next?

This is the most intelligent PF forum on the web that I have found, and I told Keith that the first day I joined. Personally, I think it was RPITI's contribution, his well-worded arguments that made me want to join. Here was also a forum where you wouldn't get shot down (as much as on other boards) for saying Roger was your favorite member of PF. But I had to rethink that as of a few days ago. Did I really want to be part of a forum where I have to watch my own words so carefully? Do I want to potentially relive the pain I went through two years ago with my webnazi incident?

I am undecided. I personally can't stand censorship. My husband contributes to my online journal. A while back he wrote something so scathing that I knew it would (unintentionally) offend a friend of ours. I could've chose to censor him and remove his post, but I chose to keep it, even if the outcome would be that our friend never spoke to us again. As it turned out, they communicated with eachother and everything is hunky dory. I feel that can be the way with many things that are censored on the web. I am glad that I chose not to censor. Stiffling his very empassioned words would've made it worse in the long run.

In NEM's last topic he stated that the Tony Blair/Satanist post offended him, but that it was not censored. The thing is, each and every one of us could find something offensive in *something*. When I first joined, I found the constant "Roger is Ugly" bashing to be offensive to me (this is where....I came in), but to me the Tony Blair/Satanist post was nothing more than ridiculously misinformed and conspiratorially silly, just stupid, not offensive. See, where do we draw the line? Whose offense do we pander to? Do we eliminate posts because they offend? Because they're stupid? Because they're foul? Constant misspelled words offend me, sad but true (it's my inner pig). Where do we draw the line? And what about when a post offends some people, but others gain some understanding from it? I saw the "Which Roger/Dave song he wrote solely by himself is your fave" nothing more than an innocuous question along the lines of many similar polls of little consequence.

It's a tough line to walk, that grey line between black and white, what is ban-worthy and what stays in. I don't envy making those decisions myself. All I can do is hope that those in charge realize the effect banning people have on the community as a whole. If I wanted a nice afternoon tea, I'd go someplace else. If I want lively debates about my favorite band, I came here. I hope I still can in the future...there's already enough nice afternoon tea on the web that my bladder is bursting.[/quote]

I find this very offensive!! :^o
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

:cry: I miss Bong and his crazy Mr T. look, Plz. send me his laST message.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

PM me Bongs last post to,I never got to read it either.Just where in cyber-space do all the edited post go?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Nowhere, they're just deleted forever.

Gentlemen, your pms are being sent :D

Juts note that seeing as i'm not Bong this comes from memory and as a result t's quite short. He went in to a bit more detail about the effects.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

:shock:

Christ on a bike. That's pretty... severe... :?
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Feeling Very Pink wrote::shock:

Christ on a bike. That's pretty... severe... :?
agreed!
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

2 suggestions

Post by Stiggs »

One. PM me the last Bong message as well. I chatted with him every now and then thru PMs, he didn't live too far from me. I am curious as to what he said that got himself banned.

Two. A new emoticon. Hopefully Keith, you can create an emoticon that would be somewhat similar to "Walk Like An Egyptian", slightly modifying the one where the one smiley dude smacks the other. That'd be a popular one I'd bet.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Re: 2 suggestions

Stiggs wrote:One. PM me the last Bong message as well. I chatted with him every now and then thru PMs, he didn't live too far from me. I am curious as to what he said that got himself banned.

Two. A new emoticon. Hopefully Keith, you can create an emoticon that would be somewhat similar to "Walk Like An Egyptian", slightly modifying the one where the one smiley dude smacks the other. That'd be a popular one I'd bet.
Could you elaborate on that? It sounds interesting. :)
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Ever hear the old school 80s song "walk like an egyptian" by I believe the Bangles? I forget exactly who but I think that's it. Anyways the dance they did in that video would be an interesting "victory dance" emoticon. A silly dance icon would be funny, so I'm suggesting it. I like the biotch-smack emoticon, now there needs to be a stupid dancing one.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Stiggs wrote:Ever hear the old school 80s song "walk like an egyptian" by I believe the Bangles? I forget exactly who but I think that's it. Anyways the dance they did in that video would be an interesting "victory dance" emoticon. A silly dance icon would be funny, so I'm suggesting it. I like the biotch-smack emoticon, now there needs to be a stupid dancing one.
Yeah, I see exactly what you mean now. :) As a victory thing. :lol: Brilliant! :wink:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Stiggs,tell Bong I said hey.I was sent what Bong said & I must say(IMO)it was nothing that a week ban might have stopped from happening again.Keith has every right to do what he wants though & he must have figured it that way.Guess I'm trying to be the peace maker.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Unfortunately I only spoke with him through private messages, I never even really bothered to ask him for his real email addy. Oh well. Chances are I'm far more interesting than him. :wink: \:D/ :^o O--O