Hawkwind thread.

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

J Ed wrote:looking up Wikipedia's entry on Hawkwind
I was led to this page of photos of one of their members...
Stacia
yeah baby, jump around (fuckin' hippies) :lol:

... I really love that pic of Lemmy btw... so young, yet totally motorhead already 8)
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I knew there had to be a Hawkwind thread around somewhere on the forum. Has anyone heard their new album "Take Me To Your Leader", and is it any good? The most recent studio album I bought of their's was "Distant Horizons" and it was not that great. They seemed to be living on past glories.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I haven't heard anything from after 1974!

Space is Deep is wonderful though.

oh my, 4000 posts. I can never post again.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

So you stopped after Lemmy left?

Some of the albums from Robert Calvert's return were pretty good ("Quark Strangeness & Charm", "PXR5") but they are now deleted unfortunately. The last really good album I heard from them was "Electric Tepee" in the early 1990's.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I haven't heard their latest. Electric Teepee was pretty pretty good, but I sort of liked it as a whole, playing in the background...no songs on it particularily stand out to me. Their mid-90's stuff like It Is the Business of the Future to Be Dangerous and Alien 4 was influenced by the then popular ambient techno sound.

It actually struck me as kind of sad when Hawkwind (and other notable artists, like David Bowie), who were once such great innovators were now reduced to grafting techno and drum n' bass rhythms onto their music in a desperate attempt to be relevent. I don't know if this trend has continued with Hawkwind. I've noticed that a lot of faded artists, after attempting to ride the wave of some current trend and alienating a significant portion of their fanbase then do the next desparate move, they "get back to their roots". Both Bowie and U2 did this in the early 2000's. Anyway, I hate to admit it, I love Hawkwind dearly, but the last studio album that really did something for me from them was 1980's Levitation.

I thought Alan Davey, the bassist for Hawkwind in the 90's (and their second longest surviving member) did much more exciting stuff after he left Hawkwind. Bedouin and Chaos Delight kick major space rock ass all over the galaxy. His cover of the "Theme from UFO" is so cool, but his original stuff is amazing too.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Massed Gadgets wrote:...but the last studio album that really did something for me from them was 1980's Levitation.
This is very true. Since that album they haven't done anything that could be called too great.... having said that, there are some things from before then (Live '79) that are also crap!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

I loved "LIve 79"! The worst HW albums from the 1970's were "Astounding Sounds" and "Hawklords".

As far as 1980's stuff is concerned, I thought the live album/DVD from "The Chronicle Of The Black Sword" tour was pretty awesome.

Haven't heard any Alan Davey solo. Is there anything still in print? Is his "Theme From UFO" the music from the Gerry Anderson TV series?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Yeah, I agree, Live Chronicles has it's moments, and is not a bad live album. I haven't seen the DVD though.

I'm not sure of the in-print status of Alan Davey's stuff. I got mine probably 4 years ago. Yeah, his "Theme From UFO" is a reworked, space rock version of the them from the Gerry Anderson series of the 60's, and it's totally amazing.
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

I have space ritual.. It is terrible, awful, seriously painful to listen too. I think the band is cool and all with their open support for drug use but really they should stick to that and not music.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

I can understand how many people would be put off by some of the less musical noises of tracks like "Sonic Attack" and "Electronic Number 1", but "Space Ritual" remains my favourite spacerock album, and would definitely be in my all time top ten albums.

Don't relate to their drug use at all, but I guess it made for a few interesting pages in their band history.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Space Ritual is certainly a classic...many consider it to be the definitive space rock album. The live version of Down Through the Night off Space Ritual is just awesome. Not everyone's cup of tea, I guess, though!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

"Born To Go" rocks my universe.
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

You can't criticize Space Ritual - that doesn't work
Space Ritual is THE Masterpiece of Spacerock
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

omayyad wrote:You can't criticize Space Ritual - that doesn't work
Space Ritual is THE Masterpiece of Spacerock
1 If this is true I dont like space rock

2 I'm pretty sure Pink Floyd are considered space rock

Actually the best thing about Space Ritual is the talking tracks when he does that wierd voice and says like "in the event of sonic attack... think only of yourself"

That stuff is great
omayyad
Knife
Knife

Post by omayyad »

Pink Floyd created Space Rock with tracks like Interstellar Overdrive or Astronomy Domine so they where the pioneers but Hawkwind improved Spacerock to it's perfection

Evberything that Pink Floyd did after Piper and Saucerful has nothing to do with Spacerock anymore and even on this albums there are only a couple of songs that could be seen as Spacerock