Hawkwind thread.

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I can still see some spacerock influences in their post-"Saucerful" work, although more in terms of music than lyrics. There were "The Man", and especially "The Journey" from 1969, and a couple of the tracks from "Meddle" are largely composed of lengthy spacerock-type jams (at least to my ears).
Last edited by Sonic Destruction on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Pink Floyd never took enough Acid to do effective Spacerock! Still, they got very close!
rthresh
Axe
Axe

Re: The Pneumatic Stacia

Post by rthresh »

J Ed wrote:looking up Wikipedia's entry on Hawkwind
I was led to this page of photos of one of their members...
Stacia
I knew we'd discussed Stacia on the Forum before somewhere
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Re:

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:Pink Floyd never took enough Acid to do effective Spacerock! Still, they got very close!
Oh I strongly expect that at least one of them did!
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Re:

Post by oldhippy »

my breakfast. wrote:Pink Floyd never took enough Acid to do effective Spacerock! Still, they got very close!

What a daft comment. Why should you need acid or any sort of drug to create Spacerock?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

rthresh wrote:
J Ed wrote:looking up Wikipedia's entry on Hawkwind
I was led to this page of photos of one of their members...
Stacia
I knew we'd discussed Stacia on the Forum before somewhere
Stacia can never stop to be an inspiration for a further discussion. :smt118
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Damn!t wrote: Stacia can never stop to be an inspiration for a further discussion. :smt118
BOOBS, Bran, BOOBS!

I got into H with Silver Machine and wanted to learn more, which lead me to getting some albums and liking them as perfect examples of following Pink Floyd into the world of space-rock.
I only wonder just how Lemmy turned his back on the band so drastically (don't get me wrong, I quite like Motörhead).
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

moom wrote:
Damn!t wrote:I got into Hawkwind with Silver Machine and wanted to learn more, which lead me to getting some albums
With me it was a strange introduction to Hawkwind as I began with an audio cassette with a variety of songs on that I couldn't initially identify. One of these turned out to be 'The Aubergine That Ate Rangoon' and once I had identified that it was by Hawkwind I hopped on the bus to the then legendary 'Robin's Records' to see what Hawkwind I could pick up. The only album they had that day was 'Levitation' and when I got it home I sat and played it all weekend. It was so different from 'The Aubergine That Ate Rangoon' and yet clearly the same overall sound. More than anything I was struck with the soaring guitar sounds and Ginger Baker's phenomenal drumming.

I went on to hear many more Hawkwind albums and to see them live on several occasions, most recently live at 53° in Preston (the university’s Student's Union venue), but Levitation is still far and away my favourite Hawkwind album.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Hawkwind thread.

I really like "Levitation" too; it's just a shame it has been deleted for years, along with many of their other late 1970's and 1980's albums. :(

I have heard that they are soon to be rereleased (yeah right, and Roger Waters' new album is coming out too :lol: ) with bonus tracks as well.

Hopefully "Levitation" will have the brilliant non-album b-side "Nuclear Toy", and "Live '79" will have the full length live "Silver Machine"
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Pat Albertson wrote:I really like 'Levitation' too; it's just a shame it has been deleted for years, along with many of their other late 1970s and 1980s albums. :(
Though I have noticed that you can still get hold of them if you persevere. I'm not a particular believer in the 'vinyl sounds better' argument, but the one album I have in both analogue and digital form, that I think there is a really noticeable difference in favour of the vinyl/analogue version, is Levitation. It's nowhere as ballsy and dynamic on the CD version.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

My copy of "Levitation" is a CD transfer from vinyl. I still have the vinyl, but have nothing to play it on. :(

Shame that version of Hawkwind couldn't stay together, what with Ginger Baker on drums and Tim Blake on synths, plus Huw, Harvey and Captain Brock, it was a winning, but short-lived, combination.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Yeah, for me the best line-up. That Baker bloke can realy hit those skins; Space Chase and Motorway City especially

Heard any really good Hawkwind covers?
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

I have the 2CD thing "Daze Of The Underground", which is mainly good or great, just a couple of boring death metal covers on there.

I have also heard Alien Sex Fiend's take on "Silver Machine", plus Star One's "Hawkwind Medley", and Primal Scream's "Motorhead" (which is of course a HW cover, not a Motorhead cover).

Can't think of many other HW covers, although there are plenty of versions of HW songs done by former HW members, particularly Nik.

You got/heard many HW covers?
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Sadly, I think only those you have mentioned - though now I've thought about it I'm off flying in cyberspace looking for more!
Last edited by Beowulf on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The legal wranglings regarding Hawkwind's back catalog is amazing. I guess a bunch of squatting hippies in a shed never worried too much exactly who they were signed to, or how much was expected of them. Sadly this means the really bad 1973 Wembley Empire Poole bootleg (aka Bring me the head of Uri Gagarin) is frequently sold, whilst Levitation is hard to find.