Post your age (if you want) thread....

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

And what makes you think Paul McCartney is going to die on his birthday? :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:And what makes you think Paul McCartney is going to die on his birthday? :lol:
Hehe, I see what you mean! :wink:
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I am 36 but I feel like 35 :D
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Stiggs wrote:21 as of March 25th

To you religious fanatics, that's the day when Mary announced she was pregnant with Jesus.[-o<
You're referring to tradition of course, correct? We don't know any of the actual dates, for example we have no clue whether or not Jesus was born on the 25th of December.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

True, I guess what I meant is that's the official date on the church's calendar. It's weird too because basically the world runs on the gregorian calendar, which is flawed. It's, what, 3 years off? It's really 2000 now I guess. Oh well. It's weird how some things can't be changed...I think it's rather stupid how the US doesn't use the metric system. There are only 4 countries that don't in the world. It's a very flawed system if you look at the way it was based. It was decided that one inch is the length of three seeds? A mile is how far a farmer can plow in one day? Come on.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Jesus was born around 6 B.C. in reality, and the only reason we celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25th is because when Christianity was first introduced to the Romans, they sort of meshed their cultures and religions and one of their popular gods' feast days was on Dec. 25th, so when Christianity took over, the two things kinda went together, hence Jesus being born on Dec. 25th

i dont take theology and latin for nothin folks, wait, maybe i do
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

flashback wrote:Date of Birth 8-21-66
hey we're pretty close too, in terms of birthdays. i think you were born in a great year, i mean, you were 15 in 1981, how perfect is that? you were a teenager when video games and tv and laying around didnt take up all of kids times, sigh, why was i stuck in this crappy time period? it makes me depressed watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dazed and Confused. oh well, ill make the most of it!! :D
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I grew up dazed & confused. :lol: :lol:
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

I'm stil quite dazed and totally confused! :?
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Tommy wrote:Jesus was born around 6 B.C. in reality, and the only reason we celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25th is because when Christianity was first introduced to the Romans, they sort of meshed their cultures and religions and one of their popular gods' feast days was on Dec. 25th, so when Christianity took over, the two things kinda went together, hence Jesus being born on Dec. 25th

i dont take theology and latin for nothin folks, wait, maybe i do

Actually I read this somewhere, I wish my memory were as good as it used to be. The United States was the country that originally celebrated christmas as a holiday, but we never knew which day it was celebrated. It was celebrated in either march, early january, december, or sometimes in august. How we decided it was 12-25 I really don't know. All I know is I'm exactly x years and 9 months on that day.
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

~ It was only in the fourth century, that the churches decided to celebrate the birth of Jesus and observe the same as a holiday. Surprisingly enough, the bible has no mention of the actual birth date of Jesus Christ. According to some evidences in the bible, Jesus is supposed to have been born in spring, though this fact remains dogged with controversies. :?
According to the historical records available, Christmas was first celebrated on January 6 according to the old Julian calendar. The day was also observed as an official Roman holiday starting from A.D. 534. The practice was continued until when due to some disputes or other reasons, the celebration of the day was switched to the Gregorian calendar in 1743. This resulted in a change of date for Christmas celebrations, which fell on December 25. It is said that Pope Julius I chose December 25 to be the date to celebrate Christmas. According to the popular belief, the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival or the Feast of the Nativity.
The celebration of the day gradually spread all across the world, where the followers of the Christian community lived. This custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. By the end of the eighth century, the celebration of Christmas had spread all the way to Scandinavia.
In the early seventeenth century, a wave of religious reform threatened to change the way Christmas was celebrated in Europe. In 1645 Oliver Cromwell and his Puritan forces took over England and vowed to rid England of decadence. They cancelled the celebrations of Christmas as a step to achieve their goal. But, Charles II was restored to the throne and this resulted in the return of the popular holiday. :)
Christmas had a late arrival in America, and was even faced with some hostilities. In the years 1659 to 1681 the celebration of Christmas was actually outlawed in Boston. The Christmas spirit was fined. As an immediate result of the American Revolution, English customs fell out of favour and celebrating Christmas was among them. Though some places like the Jamestown settlement did celebrate Christmas with all the related gaiety, they remained an exception.
But with the beginning of the nineteenth century, the need for a festival to have some commemorative time, made the Americans embrace Christmas as a perfect family holiday. Christmas was declared as a national holiday for celebration on June 26, 1870. And that was not all; Americans even re-invented the Christmas celebration and transformed it from a mere carnival into a family-oriented day of feast, fun and frolic.
.. :) .... :) ... :D
Within hundred years, the Americans built a tradition in the Christmas celebration that was all of their own including, decorating trees, sending Christmas or holiday cards and presenting gifts. The festival also fulfilled the cultural needs of a growing nation.
With the passage of time, Christmas celebration became a part of life for the Christians all over the world. .. :D :D
Neil

Post by Neil »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:John Lennon died on my father's birthday.

George Harrison died on my birthday.
2 aeroplanes crashed into the world trade centre on my birthday :cry:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Frank Sinatra died on my birthday :cry:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Not Now Neil wrote:2 aeroplanes crashed into the world trade centre on my birthday :cry:
:( :? :|
Neil

Post by Neil »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:
Not Now Neil wrote:2 aeroplanes crashed into the world trade centre on my birthday :cry:
:( :? :|
Yeah - its not a nice coincidence..

I didn't celebrate at all on the night it happened of course, and last year cause of all the special services on TV etc.. I only went out for a quiet drink with a few mates.

I think this year is going to be party time again though..