Books

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

The War Of The Worlds - HG Wells

One of the few book I've read more than once, and also very ahead of its time. As well as being a classic alien invasion story, its a thinly vieled criticism of imperialism. For those who've only seen to 50's movie version, or the Orson Welles radio play, or the album, you realy need to read the original. It's superior in every possible way.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Re: Books

Post by grateful pink »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
I have recently read Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi
I have read about 7 or 8 or Primo Levi's books. He is an excellent nonfiction writer with a great style. Not all of his books are about the Holocaust. Read something like The Periodic Table. All of the books touch on the Holocaust as that was a major part of his life but he is one of my favorite writers. Not sure if his prose would be better in Italian but I find his style, at least in the translations, to be most gratifying.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

I've been planning to read Catcher in the Rye for some time now...perhaps this summer the time will finally come. I hated Lord of the Flies, but I must admit it "proved" its point well. Prkl, I love Lovecraft as well, he's one of my favorites, alongside Jules Verne and Tolkien. I'm currently making my way through The Fellowship of the Ring for the umpteenth time. I've been on this kick recently of re-reading all the books I read when I was younger. It seems I get just as much enjoyment out of reliving those memories as I do from a new literary experience.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

I think everyone should read Catcher in the Rye, its not difficult and everyone can relate to the main character

i also read Siddhartha this year in english, it was a good read

the worst book i read this year was "a man for all seasons" what can i say, it sucked, i thought it was the most boring thing ever, its the story of sir thomas more, and it was awful
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Tommy wrote: the worst book i read this year was "a man for all seasons" what can i say, it sucked, i thought it was the most boring thing ever, its the story of sir thomas more, and it was awful
Actually, I never read the book but the movie is pretty good.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

My favorite book is "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac. Another good one by Kerouac is "The Dharma Bums". I also really like Henry Miller...author of the infamous "Tropic of Cancer" and "Tropic of Capricorn" books.
Neil

Post by Neil »

If anyone likes horror books I can seriously recommend 'Domain' by James Herbert.. the best book I've ever read!
It's set in London during a nuclear holocaust in World War 3.. the survivors have to rush into the underground stations to avoid the radiation poisoning. In the underground they encounter deadly rats (the size of dogs) who are starting to mutate because of the radioactive atmosphere!! Very gruesome and very exciting!!

The last book I read was called 'Not without my Daughter' by Betty Mahmoody.. a true story about an American woman who married an Iranian man in the US. After a couple of happy years together they visit his family in Iran.. however once they're there - he forces her to stay and live. He steals her passport and she is a prisoner in a foreign land. The book is about her and her daughters fight for freedom - and their attempts to return home. It's gripping stuff..
I believe they made a film of it - not that i've seen it.