Is anyone else who bought tickets on eBay worried?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Floydian Slip
Axe
Axe

Is anyone else who bought tickets on eBay worried?

Post by Floydian Slip »

It seems there is a greater determination than normal to stop people who bought tickets on the secondary market from enjoying the gigs.

I'm not quite sure how they'll be able to cancel the tickets they see on eBay given there are no serial numbers or anything displayed, and that eBay are unlikely to give out user's account information - do you think they're merely trying to undermine people's confidence in using such sites? Or is anyone aware of any methods that could be used to ensure that every ticket sold on eBay is cancelled?

I know some people disagree with trading tickets on eBay, but that's another argument covered in other threads.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is anyone else who bought tickets on eBay worried?

Post by Keith Jordan »

Floydian Slip wrote:It seems there is a greater determination than normal to stop people who bought tickets on the secondary market from enjoying the gigs.
I dont think that is the aim. The aim is to stop ticket touts from buying half of all the tickets available then adding a large markup before selling them on. The RAH are trying to protect consumers from these over-priced tickets.

If there are no serial numbers or ticket numbers on the tickets, then I dont quite know how they will cancel them. How would that be administered upon entry. Imagine the queues building up whilst each individual ticket serial number is checked and verified!!
Floydian Slip
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian Slip »

The RAH are trying to protect consumers from these over-priced tickets.
The prices are set by the consumer, though. The only people who are going to lose here are genuine fans - those who paid a lot of money for tickets because they were unlucky in a lottery or unable to purchase tickets officially. The touts have still been paid. I can't see anyone refunding the money because thier tickets have been cancelled.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Floydian Slip wrote:
The prices are set by the consumer, though. The only people who are going to lose here are genuine fans - those who paid a lot of money for tickets because they were unlucky in a lottery or unable to purchase tickets officially. The touts have still been paid. I can't see anyone refunding the money because thier tickets have been cancelled.
To make art and access to it an economic issue is simply wrong in my opinion. You could argue that the people who are willing to pay the most for the tickets are the biggest fans but, to be honest, it could just be the people with the most money.

Everyone has an equal chance of buying tickets. Very slim! :o :)
Floydian Slip
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian Slip »

Keith Jordan wrote: To make art and access to it an economic issue is simply wrong in my opinion. You could argue that the people who are willing to pay the most for the tickets are the biggest fans but, to be honest, it could just be the people with the most money.
I agree with that, to an extent, but I don't want to argure that here.

I'm looking for reassurance that my tickets will still get me to the gig (or reasons why they maybe won't!)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Floydian Slip wrote:I'm looking for reassurance that my tickets will still get me to the gig (or reasons why they maybe won't!)
If the tickets have no reference number on them then there is no way of them knowing where the ticket was bought! :)

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/onanisland.htm wrote:WARNING - ONLY BUY TICKETS FROM OFFICIAL OUTLETS!!!

Promoters Harvey Goldsmith Ltd. have obtained the following statement from the Royal Albert Hall:
?Sale of tickets to the public are limited to four per person and cannot be exchanged, refunded or re-sold.
Any tickets sold by the Royal Albert Hall which are found to have been re-sold will be cancelled. Tickets will not be sent out until one month before the performance and the fact that tickets may not be re-sold will be clearly printed on the face of the tickets. Where we have sufficient details about the tickets that are being re-sold, we notify the customer that we are cancelling the ticket, refund the purchase price, cancel the original tickets and then put the seats on sale again to the public.
We would strongly caution people against purchasing tickets from sources other than the Royal Albert Hall Box Office and authorised agents, as tickets purchased from these sources may be refused entry?.

The Albert Hall has staff that scan eBay for tickets that are being offered for sale, so there is a very real possibility that your sought-after pair of David?s London show tickets from eBAy may be invalidated.

At the moment, the Royal Albert Hall is the only venue that we know to operate this policy, but this may of course change in the future.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I wish someone could stop these parasites from making money out of ripping people off by re-selling concert tickets.
Opportunism.......oh yeah, where there's a way, theres a cockroach plotting a fast buck. :x
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

Floydian Slip wrote:
The prices are set by the consumer, The only people who are going to lose here are genuine fans.
actually david gilmour who made it all possible loses out, as he dosent even get HALF OF TICKET FACE VALUE.
i added one ebay ticket seller (who had many tickets for a same nite show of gilmours) totals just for the first 2 months of this year and he made $13,000 in a little over one month selling tickets on ebay.
BUT ON THE OTHER HAND EBAY RIGHT NOW IS THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO BUY TICKETS...
no im not worried though.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Someone would also have to be keeping track of who actually paid more than face value on E-bay vs. equal/less value, etc....