The Meaning of the album and effect on you....

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Meaning of the album and effect on you....

Post by Keith Jordan »

This is a thread to discuss the meaning you get from the album and the effect Mr Gilmour's communication through this album has on you.

The lyrics are here thanks to Narek....

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/wiki/ ... _An_Island
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Hey, how did Narek get those lyrics? :smt017
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

nosaj wrote:Hey, how did Narek get those lyrics? :smt017
You're not quite on topic there are you, nosja?

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=11150
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I guess maybe we will possibly see the leftover material form the Division Bell sessions on this album surface after all these years in amongst ideas he has worked on since 1994.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Well, it's one thing to only read the lyrics and a completely different thing to listen to the album and then pass the verdict.
I only heard those litlle clips from daves blog and a full title track.
So far i like it alot. But i need to hear the whole album first.
On An Island is not a hit kind of song.
Took me about 10 listens to like it. But now i love it. Its very similar to something that Rick would write. And i love Richards work. Soft melody combined with perfect guitar parts and beautyfull singing.
I hope that the rest of the album will be as great as this track.
Lyrics are very poetic (really?). But i feel a certain amount
of rememberance and grief over the times that have passed. Something
like High Hopes. Like, yea, it's great and all that but we're getting old very fast and stuff. But it doesent sound pathetic. Maybee its just me...
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

Reading the lyrics, I'd say this is a collection of pieces that more or less declare the Gilmour's place in life in the last quarter of their lives: including their understanding of each other and their peace with their understanding of life, which is essentially that they're happy' being' (while not too far from 'having been'). Lyrics like these nominally can be construed as fairly hokey if they are sung by someone like Celine Dion, however, I feel like these are very personal to the Gilmours and as such are quite an intimate glimpse of who they are. We'll see for sure once we hear them in the context of the music, but I suspect that these songs will reveal more about what Dave cares about morethan anything he's done before.

Anyhow, I definitely do not think these are leftover lyrics from the Division Bell. I see no relation at all. As for how these affect me: I'm not where the Gilmours are in life yet, but I 'm working on it.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Keith Jordan wrote:
nosaj wrote:Hey, how did Narek get those lyrics? :smt017
You're not quite on topic there are you, nosja?

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=11150
Nosaj is out to lunch again...nice this link.
Arnie Layne
Axe
Axe

DG tour & album

Post by Arnie Layne »

I'm not going to look at the artwork, or read the lyrics etc, I'll wait for the album, I see what you mean Damn!t (your younger than me so dont be sad :D ) Live 8 we never thought would happen, and I bet the David's set list will be full of surprises (the bet still on? :wink: ) t'he only fear I have from the set is now Dick Parry is on board, is that Money, Us & them will pop up, I really hope he delves deeper, Childhood's end, an electric fat old sun, but maybe that's just me.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Re: DG tour & album

Post by Narek »

Arnie Layne wrote: (the bet still on? :wink: )
What's the bet?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: DG tour & album

Post by Damn!t »

Narek wrote:
Arnie Layne wrote: (the bet still on? :wink: )
What's the bet?
You dont want to know... :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

grelch wrote:the Gilmour's place in life in the last quarter of their lives:
Ummmm...maybe HE's in the last quarter of his life...but isn't she in her, like forties or something?
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

Edit by user: I posted this review on thread more suited for the topic:
http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... sc&start=0
Last edited by iwantmypinkfloydnow on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

mosespa wrote:
grelch wrote:the Gilmour's place in life in the last quarter of their lives:
Ummmm...maybe HE's in the last quarter of his life...but isn't she in her, like forties or something?
Yeah, but apparently she thinks like an old geezer.
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

I think these are Celine Dion's leftovers! :cry: Polly even has a vocal credit! :cry: At least he didn't get Kenny G to play sax! But Gilmour's guitar can make anything sound good! :lol:
Zoophobia
Axe
Axe

Post by Zoophobia »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:*Without the music, you can't hear the emotional tone the lyrics have, you can interpret them.

After reading the lyrics of DG's new album; I believe the album is supposed to give you an "isolation" feeling like "Close to the Edge" by YES. A feeling of being alone and stranded on an island.

When trapped on an island, you feel stranded from society, from your old life. All you can do is try to survive and think about life in society of which you miss so much. In Lord of the Flies, the main character remembers his childhood years, while in deep thought. Because he misses society, because he is trapped in nature. Remembering those times comforted him.

Same with what is going on with, what I theorize, a "character" in this album. The songs in this album talk about memories with the character and the character's wife and description of the island around him. This album can be interpreted as a story or an album with central themes.

Here are analysis of each song:

Castellorizon- Obviously an instrumental, so I've got nothing to analyze on. :x

On an Island- The title song is a love song. The character and his wife talk about memories they shared ("Remember that night? White steps in the moonlight." "We lay side by side") and the memories relations to the world: "They walked here too, through empty playground..." The lyrics are very relaxing: "Let the night surround you. We're halfway to the stars." In reality, it is a love song written by Polly to David.

The Blue- A description of the ocean. "Shameless" and "Aimlessly...blue."

Take a Breath- Our "character" freaks out for being trapped on an Island. In this song, he is trying to calm down: "Take a breath. A deep breath now." "If you're lost you'll need to turn yourself. Then you'll find out there is no-one else."

The character's wife seems to be on the island with him on this song: "This kind of love is hard to find. I never got to you by being kind. If I'm the one to throw overboard. At least I showed you how to swim for shore."

Red Sky at Night- Instrumental

This Heaven
- "All the pieces fall into place."

The character and possibly his wife are started to appreciate the Island they are trapped on. The Island is just as heavenly as the other places they have traveled before: "I've felt the power in a holy place. Wished for comfort when in need. Now I'm here in a state of grace. This earthly heaven is enough for me."

Then I Close My Eyes- Instrumental

Smile- "To find my way home to your smile." It seems more clear to me now that the presence of the characters wife is more spiritual then physical. Does this mean that they are connected spiritually from miles across an ocean? Are they almost talking to each other by thought even though an ocean splits them apart? Or is the character going crazy?

The character is trying to come back home to his wife, that's for sure: "Wasting days and days on this fight. Always down, and up half the night. Hopeless to reminisce through the dark hours. We'll only sacrifice what time will allow us. You're sighing... "

A Pocketful of Stones- Someone is talking to the wife about the character. The character is being referred in the third person. The person is comforting the wife, possibly about her accepting the fact that her husband is dead , or a comforting reassurance of his after life of a day when he might die: "One day he'll slip away....Until then he'll live in wonder."

Where We Start- This ending reminds me of the Taxi Driver ending: Is the ending really a happy ending or it is imagined by the character?

On an Island isn't just an album about being isolated on an island, but mostly about love and memories. A way for humans to comfort

themselves in times of distress by remembering the good times or creating one during the calamity.

Well described iwantmypinkfloydnow. I so far from what I have read and little bits I have heard from Gilmours site ...love it. It was brave of Dave to put out a new non-Floydish album. So many times albums refect/mirror the musicians current life and this one seems that way too. Dave is very happy and finally found peace and is completely happy. Enjoy Mr. Gilmour you deserve it. :wink: