Waters show from 9-8-2006

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

PublicImage wrote:I would listen to Gilmour solo stuff if I wanted to go to sleep..

I would listen to Waters solo stuff if I wanted interesting music that will keep me awake.
I passed out listening to Pros and Cons and ATD. KAOS just sucked. David Gilmour's albums are superb on the other hand.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Oh, great. Another Roger VS Dave discussion. With quadruple posts, no less :roll:

You can't judge a tour from one bootleg that might just be a bad audience recording. That's insane. What was amazing about Roger's tour was seeing the man himself do Dark Side Of The Moon and a lot of my favourite Floyd songs. It had to be seen in the flesh (pun intended) and not listened to on a CD. I think most of us who have seen him recently agree that it's like being in Floydian heaven!

I haven't been fortunate enough to see Dave live, but I have personally always been a Roger-fan myself. And it would take a lot for Dave to top Roger's Roskilde Festival concert!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

its true
those of us whove just listened to the boots have complained about the repetition
but with few exceptions those who attended the concerts have been glowing in their praise
I think Rogers current tour needs to be judged according to what he promised: a state of the art fully immersive theatrical extravaganza
that sounds exactly like what concertgoers are getting
but no audio-boot can ever capture that

hopefully next year he'll have the alleged new album out and will do a different tour with a more interesting, age-appropriate setlist
but still this one sounds like it was much appreciated by those who were actually there in the audience
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote:I passed out listening to Pros and Cons and ATD. KAOS just sucked. David Gilmour's albums are superb on the other hand.
Passed out with joy. Clapton and Beck's guitar work on Waters's solo albums is much better than some of the stuff Gilmour did with and without Pink Floyd.

David Gilmour's albums are shit.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

Public Image summed up my same thoughts. I fell asleep about thirty seconds into "The Blue". Ive tried to listen to OAI so many times but get way too bored. And Dave has to use a stupid voice reverb thing that makes it sound even worse. Seriously, dont judge this tour by this crowd recording, its nothing like seeing it in person. As a matter of fact i saw this show in person.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Totally. Being at the gig just has a totally different atmosphere to listening to a recording, and you really do have to have been there to truly appreciate it.

Watching the recording of the Waters gig that I went to really is nothing like being there.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

PublicImage wrote:
ESLAFTK2112 wrote:I passed out listening to Pros and Cons and ATD. KAOS just sucked. David Gilmour's albums are superb on the other hand.
Passed out with joy. Clapton and Beck's guitar work on Waters's solo albums is much better than some of the stuff Gilmour did with and without Pink Floyd.

David Gilmour's albums are shit.
Clapton and Beck suck compared to Jimmy Page! Page kicked all of their asses. Gilmour can still play. I know you are a Waters troll but that is life.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote:Clapton and Beck suck compared to Jimmy Page! Page kicked all of their asses. Gilmour can still play. I know you are a Waters troll but that is life.
What on earth does Jimmy Page have to do with this David Gilmour/Roger Waters conversation??
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

Have to give my 2 cents worth here.

I have heard about 5/6 shows from Rog's current tour including the wonderful tripped out in Cork.

I think Rog is putting on a good show this time out. Alright they have tended to be a bit bombastic (slagging off Israel etc) but then again Rog is a true showman and he isn't afraid to speak his mind. Thats what we've come to expect over the years.

Gilmours shows whilst musically better have been a bit laid back for my tastes.

At the end of the day its all apples and oranges i.e. alot of us here are in 2 camps, the DG camp or the RW camp.

Its all down to taste.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

i really do like waters but i just cant get into his interpritations of floyd songs, i do however love the cork show, very good indeed.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote:
PublicImage wrote:I would listen to Gilmour solo stuff if I wanted to go to sleep..

I would listen to Waters solo stuff if I wanted interesting music that will keep me awake.
I passed out listening to Pros and Cons and ATD. KAOS just sucked. David Gilmour's albums are superb on the other hand.
If I wanted to go to sleep, the only album that would actually keep me awake would be The Body. If I slept through that, I'd have nightmares.

Incidentially, "More Than Seven Dwarves In Penis-Land" is the greatest song made by anyone in or outside of the Floyd.

As for solo shows, I think it's obvious who the best live solo Floyd man is - anyone saying otherwise is just deluding themselves. That's right; I'm talking about Nick Mason.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

PublicImage wrote:
ESLAFTK2112 wrote:Clapton and Beck suck compared to Jimmy Page! Page kicked all of their asses. Gilmour can still play. I know you are a Waters troll but that is life.
What on earth does Jimmy Page have to do with this David Gilmour/Roger Waters conversation??
Page is the only Yardbird guitarist Waters hasn't used. He used Clapton on P&C, Beck on ATD. I wound up selling P&C and ATD after awhile cos they were musically yawn-inducing. OaI is DG's best solo effort since his self-titled album. I haven't stopped playing OAI since its release date. The second best CD is Rush Grace Under Pressure Live from the CD/DVD set Replay X 3.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I personally think Page is way too... loud. From what I've heard on How The West Was Won (which is, admittedly, not that good a thing to base my opinions on)... when he takes a solo, the rest of the band might as well not be there. In fact, during "Heartbreaker" the rest of the band ISN'T there.
At least Clapton and Beck were symbiotic with Roger and his band, as is Gilmour with the Floyd/Bleeding Hair Band/On An Island lineup.

Now, granted, he's still pretty cool; I just get tired of him pretty fast. Even with those two fretboards, which I admit are awesome.