A little something i noticed in the In The Flesh DVD

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

A little something i noticed in the In The Flesh DVD

Post by Groovybass77 »

Did anyone else here notice that during Brain Damage on In The Flesh Roger constanly lifts his arms up yet the bass is still playing?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps he struck an open string and let it ring out? Is there melody playing on the bass when he has his hands up like a clown? :o :D
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

yes. he is playing the riff in octave, such as playing a D then a D one octave up. I noticed that when he lifts his hands up the notes change and the octaves still pop up in there.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps the octave stuff is synth stuff?
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

perhaps. or maybe because he waves his hands around so much there was no bass on the recording so the audio editing guys decided to add some bass to enhance the experience.
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Two words. Post Production. Or one word if you like hyphens.

I could choose a worse couple of words. Pre Recorded.

Personally I'd go for Post Production. You're sure AFL isn't playing bass too? There are a couple of tracks where Roger and AFL seem to be playing bass. (Perfect Sense, perhaps?)

David
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

no. andy is playing the main guitar riff on this one. Im really am led to belive that it is either synth or something they added onto the DVD before releasing it because was too busy making silly hand motions than playing the bass. On all the other tracks it looks like he really is playing the bass so that is why i dont believe it was a bass backing track
Machina
Blade
Blade

Post by Machina »

Yes ,I've noticed that .He probably mixed a bass line over the film before it was released.If you watch The Wall live in berlin that was broadcast live on TV and compare it to the DVD or VHS edition there's an enormous difference.Also look at the Live8 footage and where roger waves his arms the Bass line stops because it was totally live .Where an artist has complete control over the quality then they are going to overdub to fill in the crappy parts it's just the way it is and everyone does it now.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I also noticed that on that DVD a few years ago - I suspected something dodgy was going on. I made a special effort to take note of his playing when I saw him earlier in the year. He really was playing every note apart from 'brick pt2' when Andy strapped on a bass to play the dropped 'D'. I thought that was fairly extravagant - not re-tuning his guitar, getting someone with another guitar just to play that note!

Watching him with my own eyes, I get fed up when people take pot shots at his playing abilities. I think he plays pretty damned well.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I noticed that Jon Carin never played with Pink Floyd.
Credits say so on that dvd. Now, thats not nice Rog.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I wonder if he consulted with Carin about how the DryFloyd handled arrangements and other stuff during thei hugely successful tours from 87-94?
cuz this was the beginning of rogers not doing radical new concepts on his tours, and instead doing crowdpleasing PULSEstyle greatest hits showcases

it would be handy to have a guy in the band who was a veteran of those nostalgia tours now Roger was copping the formula
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

J Ed wrote:I wonder if he consulted with Carin about how the DryFloyd handled arrangements and other stuff during thei hugely successful tours from 87-94?
In an interview roger said it was great working with him because he knew a lot of the songs 'having been on tour with Dave'
peesea
Knife
Knife

Re: A little something i noticed in the In The Flesh DVD

Post by peesea »

Groovybass77 wrote:Did anyone else here notice that during Brain Damage on In The Flesh Roger constanly lifts his arms up yet the bass is still playing?
During those "in doubt" passages I've come to the conclusion Roger plays bass with his schlong.

His equine physical traits are not all facial you know:p