a tripped out observation...

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

a tripped out observation...

Post by MadJedi »

as i was watching the tripped out in cork show, during sheep, roger is lip syncing or has "alternate" vocal track being played. no doubt about it. look close at the moment he says "wave apon wave" he IS NOT at the mic and his mouth is most definately closed, yet you hear him :?
i know the lipsync issue was here before but i cant find it...
anyone else catch this? i know its not some out of sync video issue becouse the rest is spot on...
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

he definately has backing tracks on Sheep because of the stretched vocoder part of the verse. For example "Helplessly passing your time in the grassland awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...." the away is simulated to stretch out farther than Roger can hold a note.

I also noticed during Rock In Rio where this whole bogus "Lip Synching" thing started that he isnt even lip-synching. He is using a backing track, singing with himself. During Have A Cigar i can hear two voices, you can hear a quiet "were gonna.." and you hear Roger come in late and sing "Fly High..". Also during The Gunners Dream i can hear many voices, Roger's wisper and Roger himself and The lengthened line that overlaps the next verse.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I don't think the long-held note is a result of lip-syncing. From what I can tell, he holds a syllable for a shorter time before the soundboard starts sustaining it artificially and loops it into Jon Carin's amp so he can do that vocoder effect on his guitar (as it was done on the album). You can see the process on the Rock In Rio bootleg (or was it Cork?).

If you were to get a direct dump of Roger's mic without Carin's work added in, you'd likely hear him enthusiastically go "AWAAAAAYYYY-" and then halfheartedly stop as his mouth hangs open. Meanwhile, if you had a dump of Jon's guitar, you'd hear a sustained "AAAAAAAAY" come from nowhere.
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

Also. keep in mind that Roger is using an effect called a reverse gate on the first line of every verse. This effect sound like the voice is coming before anything is actually mouthed into the microphone.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Craig Marion wrote:Also. keep in mind that Roger is using an effect called a reverse gate on the first line of every verse. This effect sound like the voice is coming before anything is actually mouthed into the microphone.
This is impossible, in my opinion.

In order for something to come out from the microphone, something MUST be going in to the microphone, in my opinion.

What a reverse gate actually does is delay the vocal (or whatever instrument is going through it) and apply a reversed reverb to it to make it sound like it's been recorded backwards, in my opinion.

I used to use a reverse gate on my guitar, in my opinion.

There is nothing (in live performance) that can make something sound like it's being performed before it is actually performed, in my opinion.

It is also my opinion that since every sentence above ends with "in my opinon" no one's feelings should be hurt when they discover that their information is incorrect.

That's how it works, right? :P :P :P :P :P :P
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

That would not be your opinion, only a statement of a fact!

Whatever is going on, it sounds like Waters is augmenting his voice even if we don't agree on exactly what he is using?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

goldeneagle33 wrote:I used to use a reverse gate on my guitar, in my opinion.
That would not be your opinion, only a statement of a fact!
Ah, but there are those who take offense to the statement of facts. It is as if they don't believe that facts exist...that instead, everything is a shifting mass of uncertainty.

They seem to find comfort in this...I don't. I like hard, solid facts.

But I'm weary of listening to people bitch and moan because I know something that they couldn't be bothered with learning for themselves and have the balls to spell it out for them.

So, in order to keep these people from bitching, whining and moaning, I decided to include some ambiguous statement in each sentence.

Notice that these weenies aren't whining right now :twisted:
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

You know if you make a stand on something people will bitch but if you don't people will ignore what you say.
If you make a statement that contains a fact that only you can verify people will be confused if you do not state it as fact and will think that future things you say are not fact.
And BTW, there was a turkey standing on a table outside my door looking at me as I typed this! Fact or fiction?(PS-fact can be stranger than fiction!)
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

For gods sake...this thread is like some kind of huge revelation whenever it rears its head....its obvious he's using vocal tracks. It's no biggie...Although I was quite upset for a while after seeing his treatment of sheep in the Rio Live show. For those that say he's not miming and is singing a different track...watch the Rio show...he's barely whispering the mike track...quite sad really :( Especially one of his finest works like sheep...

It looks much better and is far less obvious on the Tripped out in cork show, but the 3 main songs where he's basically miming (okay whispering the odd lyric to) are still the same...its just far less obvious.

Personally I look forward to the tour DVD where all the obvious mimes are cleaned up and they back out to distant stage shots the way they did for the ITF DVD when he forgets his role. I don't really mind that he's doing it...floyd have had backing tracks of various sorts since forever...its just unpleasant to have the realisation that you're being ever so slightly worked over :p
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

peesea wrote: Personally I look forward to the tour DVD where all the obvious mimes are cleaned up and they back out to distant stage shots the way they did for the ITF DVD when he forgets his role. I don't really mind that he's doing it...floyd have had backing tracks of various sorts since forever...its just unpleasant to have the realisation that you're being ever so slightly worked over :p
will there be one? was one of the shows really filmed? i?d prefer one of the us-shows then, since they had the better visuals...
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Most (if not all) of the shows on the entire tour were filmed by two cameras projecting to the screens on the sides of the stage. In addition, a larger lineup of cameras captured one of the Spain shows (according to Nick), and Nick did say he wanted to film Hollywood Bowl.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

but 2 cams is not enough for a dvd... and unfortunately the Hollywood Bowl shows were also not filmed professionally :?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: a tripped out observation...

Post by drafsack »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:as i was watching the tripped out in cork show, during sheep, roger is lip syncing or has "alternate" vocal track being played. no doubt about it. look close at the moment he says "wave apon wave" he IS NOT at the mic and his mouth is most definately closed, yet you hear him :?
i know the lipsync issue was here before but i cant find it...
anyone else catch this? i know its not some out of sync video issue becouse the rest is spot on...
I was quite close to the front at this show and there was a point that I thought Rog was miming but the realised that John Carin was doing alot of the vocals
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

mosespa wrote:
Craig Marion wrote:Also. keep in mind that Roger is using an effect called a reverse gate on the first line of every verse. This effect sound like the voice is coming before anything is actually mouthed into the microphone.
This is impossible, in my opinion.

In order for something to come out from the microphone, something MUST be going in to the microphone, in my opinion.

What a reverse gate actually does is delay the vocal (or whatever instrument is going through it) and apply a reversed reverb to it to make it sound like it's been recorded backwards, in my opinion.

There is nothing (in live performance) that can make something sound like it's being performed before it is actually performed, in my opinion.

It is also my opinion that since every sentence above ends with "in my opinon" no one's feelings should be hurt when they discover that their information is incorrect.

That's how it works, right? :P :P :P :P :P :P
I didn't say that reverse gate creates a sound before a sound exsists...I simply meant that this is what it sounds like when the effect is applied.

The fact of the matter is this I saw Roger on two occasion on this tour and it sounded great! The tour has been selling out where ever he goes and the band sounds really good. If he doubles his vocals or uses some effects on his voice I don't care...the point is it was enjoyable and its a pleasure to see Roger still performing after all these years and he puts on one hell of a show regardless.

Of course this is my opinion. Give the guy a break...you try going up their and doing even a fractiion of the show he does every single night. Lets be thankful we can still enjoy him live. People just love hating on Rog...leave the poor guy alone.
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

Sometimes...when a show is filmed and put on DVD...they'll like...put different clips in the song...

On a Kiss DVD that I have...Paul Stanley will have like 2 different guitars within like 2 seconds...just because they cut it different...

I dunno...