Wall Live in Berlin and 1980s Wall Concerts

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wall Live in Berlin and 1980s Wall Concerts

Post by Keith Jordan »

I was just wondering if there were any real differences between the Wall Shows of the 80s and the Wall in Berlin? Apart from the fact most of Pink Floyd weren't playing it.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

Well The Wall in Berlin excluded The Show Must Go On and featured some different solos. Roger rewrote some sections for extended solos in case something backfired, and included stuff like Thomas Dolby's keytar solo and the extra sax solo in ABITW Pt 1.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

I think he opted for a real helicopter instead of the model plane too....
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

All the inflatables were different and alot of what was projected on the wall was different. Also they didn't play outside the wall at the end they played the tide is turning.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Also, the stage was significantly larger (with the Pig being the size of a large blimp). Radio KAOS' closing track "The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)" was mysteriously wedged between The Trial and Outside The Wall. Like the studio album, Roger sang all of Run Like Hell himself (which was very difficult and a really amazing feat, even without considering his age).

I'm pretty sure there was another circular Mr. Screen behind the Wall (visible during TTIT(ALA)) and instead of his "rocker cape" in RLH Roger chose to wear an oversized dictator/military uniform with huge glasses, a moustache, and some backup nazi-dancers.

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Tenniru wrote:"The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)" was mysteriously wedged between The Trial and Outside The Wall.
They didn't play outside the wall they finished with the tide is turning
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Are you sure? On the album I have, the song ends, Roger thanks the crew, they leave, the crowd starts making a lot of noise, and then they come back and play OtW (with the orchestra, which sounds very nice).
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

no. as the credits roll the album version of "Outside the Wall" is played in the background
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Aah, so that's what's going on. (I really need to get the DVD sometime.)

So I assume Outside The Wall was recorded in the studio sometime before or after the event, not onstage, then?
grelch
Knife
Knife

Re: Wall Live in Berlin and 1980s Wall Concerts

Post by grelch »

Keith Jordan wrote:I was just wondering if there were any real differences between the Wall Shows of the 80s and the Wall in Berlin? Apart from the fact most of Pink Floyd weren't playing it.
Yeah, the 1980 Wall was incredible, the Berlin gig was a very bad joke. Sorry, couldn't help myself. All these years later I still haven't been able to reconcile Cindy Lauper, Bryan Adams, Scorpions etc singing these songs. What a travesty.
bacon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bacon »

The Wall shows in 80 & 81 were superb gigs ...

The Berlin show ... whilst well intentioned ... was like a giant panto version of the original!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Cyndi Lauper was annoying a lot of people on that stage! Just look at their faces. Especially that guitarist!!! :lol:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Maybe I only like it because I've only heard the album. To me, it feels very nicely-done and well-performed. I'm afraid of getting the DVD just because actually seeing them might spoil it all for me.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Tenniru wrote:Maybe I only like it because I've only heard the album. To me, it feels very nicely-done and well-performed. I'm afraid of getting the DVD just because actually seeing them might spoil it all for me.
well if you actually like the music on the cd, go and get the dvd... sound is mixed better and the visuals are stunning (just ignore the Scorpions and Cindy :lol:, but the wall itself is awesome)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Tenniru wrote:Maybe I only like it because I've only heard the album. To me, it feels very nicely-done and well-performed. I'm afraid of getting the DVD just because actually seeing them might spoil it all for me.
It has had alot of post production work on it - on the night you could hardley hear the music at some points.