Flea on It's a Miracle?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
darkfrost12
Axe
Axe

Flea on It's a Miracle?

Post by darkfrost12 »

I read this on Wikipedia, so I take it with a grain of salt, but it said flea (of Red Hot Chili Peppers fame) recorded a part for a more uptempo version of It's a Miracle? It would be cool to know if this actually existed and if there is a recording available somewhere in bootleg land, that would make me very :D
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

it is actually true, but i think it never surfaced on any roio... roger waters commented on that in a few interviews..
darkfrost12
Axe
Axe

Post by darkfrost12 »

cool, thanks!
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

haha I found it on Brain Damage... its an Interview from 1993:

Brian - question 2: I would like to know what part Flea of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers had to do on your album? He's mentioned in the special thanks.

Roger Waters: Yeah, he is. Um, strangely enough I was talking to an English journalist who is very into bootlegs and bits and pieces and he was complaining about the new Pink Floyd box set because there wasn't anything special in it. Reasonably enough in my view, but that's another story. Um, and uh, we were talking about the possibility of releasing demos, you know, as he said you should release your demos sometime as an album and I thought, well, that's not a bad idea. We recorded "It's a Miracle" three times and the second time we recorded it, we did a very up tempo version of it and Flea came in and played bass. And wonderfully he played too.
He was great. I loved it. But when we put the record together, this very up tempo version of "It's a Miracle" didn't fit within the dynamic context of the rest of the record. So the very last piece of recording we did was to re-record "It's a Miracle" and just Pat and I sat down one afternoon at the piano and re-did it.

:D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Yucateco quoting Roger wrote:...Flea came in and played bass. And wonderfully he played too....He was great. I loved it.
I just cant picture Roger jamming with a hip young rowdy like Flea, letting him redefine the shape of his song with his funky popping bass
that totally contrasts with the offense he took to sinead OConnor when she suggested he rearrange The Wall with more of a hiphop feel
I think it would be good if he'd work with more young folk like that, maybe he'd be more productive and more relevent
Yucateco quoting Roger wrote:...he said you should release your demos sometime as an album and I thought, well, that's not a bad idea.
interesting contradiction here: he did indeed include several demos and rarities on his own compilation album,
yet supposedly hje was the guy who vetoed the BBC Sessions cuz the sound wasnt up to the Pink Floyd standard
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I've been waiting for the solo years part 2...thought that might have demos such as these...
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Looks like everyone in Pink Floyd has a weakness for Slap Bass!

Check out some of the gross slap bass on TDSOT!

Overall I enjoy it though!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Actually, I was pretty depressed at the lack of rare/unreleased material on "The Solo Years Volume One". Roger has got a wealth of excellent quality stuff like 12" versions, non-album B-sides, alternative takes (this is not even counting sub-standard quality demo tracks) and other things that he could have released to his die-hard fans, but instead we just got an album 3/4 full of tracks we already own.

C'mon Roger, get them out there before the bootleggers do.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

Yah, I always wondered how "its a miracle" would've sounded. I was, however, more than happy with the album version.

There's acres of good stuff from pros and cons all the way through. I remember hearing at the release time of pros and cons that he could've made a double album but decided to cull alot for the sake of continuity. I don't know if many(if any) other tracks were actually recorded with Clapton, but hey, wouldn't that be interesting. There were *supposed* to have been (James Guthrie recorded) shows on the Pros tour...but who knows if any of that'll ever show up.

He really is a tight fucker with protecting his legacy...I wouldn't mind so much, but 3 albums in 22 years is really taking the piss :D