Watch Dark Side of the Moon Wembley 74

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Watch Dark Side of the Moon Wembley 74

Post by Hudini »

Watched it today, and it does sound really good. I don't care if the ambience of the live show is lost, because it can sometimes be annoying. This way it sounds more like "Pompeii", it's clearly played live through a large PA, which makes it sounds somehow more sincere than a studio recording.

As for the 3D, I tried to watch some portions of it through the red/blue lens goggles (mainly the parts where the red and blue distortion is most evident), and I believe it's not 3D at all. Either that or I should see an ophtalmologist.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

J Ed wrote:whats this 3d you people are talking about?
you mean those photos of the band at the recording studio where they seem to have somehow manipulated the planes of depth?
Nope, I was thinking more of the parts where they throw those CGI space animations, and the stars have little blue and red hues around them. But it's probably just some "modern" graphic effect to serve as eye candy to the modern kids so they don't get bored at watching plain old stars.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

This is excellent. At first I was expecting something not much better than the bootlegged copies. Even the fixed and "revision" bootlegs of this show are so flawed in so many ways. Especially the speed which is totally all over the place in the bootlegs. I've heard everything from 5.1 matrixs' through to the flat, direct copies of the pre-FM tape.

The clarity and the quality are fantastic. This has been tidied up with the love and care it truly deserved. As a show this has always been seen as weak compared to other boots, but the quality makes up for any questions around the performance. Just listen to Dick Parry's sax at the begginning of "Us and Them". That alone makes this disc worthwhile.

Only thing missing is the echoes encore and the early versions of raving/drooling etc which I can only hope will make some later release (immersion animals/meddle et al?) Can't wait to hear Echoes with the sax and backing singers in this quality! wow...wow...and WOW!
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

i don't think that Echoes gained anything positive from the addition of sax and backing singers. not at all.
no song that was great as performed live by the classic Pink Floyd line-up has ever been bettered by the camouflage or disguise that have been made subsequently.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

peesea wrote:Only thing missing is the echoes encore and the early versions of raving/drooling etc which I can only hope will make some later release (immersion animals/meddle et al?) Can't wait to hear Echoes with the sax and backing singers in this quality! wow...wow...and WOW!
You will get Raving and Drooling, You Gotta Be Crazy and the long SOYCD if you want, when they are released in November. I wonder if we will get Echoes???
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Hopefully we'll get a Meddle Immersion set. There's a lot of good extra material they could use.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I really hope so too but there seems to be a reluctance to go back to that era :(
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Excellent!!! :smt101 :smt119 :smt120
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

snifferdog wrote:I really hope so too but there seems to be a reluctance to go back to that era :(

I hope we do, because of that BBC radio documentary where they pulled up the multitracks for Echoes. If some guy was seriously trawling the archives I wager it is not for a free radio program!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I know this is one almighty bump, but did anyone ever download this video?

Pink Floyd have scrubbed it from their YouTube channel and I remember it being a really good way to experience the Wembley live album.