There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Wolfpack »

Flathead wrote:
After hearing Freewheelin', The Beatles—and especially John Lennon—were inspired to write more mature, narrative-driven folk songs in the manner of their new hero.
A good thing can be overdone, by being too heavy on lyrics.
Lennon was inspired by Dylan, but he also liked a joke. :lol:
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

The new clip is dull, but since "dull" is Water's medium of choice (and since I like Waters), I am hopeful.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote: Is "tone and feel" really so important?
What? Really? Well, of course it is! Specially in the case of Pink Floyd! Tone is EVERYTHING in the case of Floyd. Tone is what makes the "Pink Floyd sound", well, a sound. Of course, tone is completely irrelevant to determine the quality of a melody, or the adequacy of a harmony, or the liveliness of a rhythm, but tone (timbre actually) is what gives music a particular taste, is what makes some recording of a song feel tastier than others. The tone of his voice is what makes Gilmour a better singer than Waters, and the tone of his guitar is what makes him stand out from an endless ocean of blues influenced rock guitarist. The tone of Ricks synth is what pushes a pretty regular instrumental jam into orgasmic territory in Any Colour You Like, and is what makes you get goosebumps when you hear that ping at the beginning of Echoes. Pink Floyd were masters of tone, that's what makes them special and unlike any other band from their period.

As any fan of electronic or drone music could attest, yes, tone is VERY important.
raisemyrent wrote:Oh my. Flathead are you for real? That new clip is soooo tired sounding. I got bored by the second chord.
Actually, the second chord is my favourite part from that clip! :D

Admittedly, I'm not as enthusiastic as Flathead about it, but so far I like the sound of what I hear. All three clips have good things to like, but I particularly enjoy the first promo clip the most, the one with those synths droning over the piano chords and acoustic guitar while the hands reach for each other. It reminds me of Fripp and Bowie's Heroes.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Is "tone and feel" really so important?
What? Really? Well, of course it is! Specially in the case of Pink Floyd! Tone is EVERYTHING in the case of Floyd. Tone is what makes the "Pink Floyd sound", well, a sound. Of course, tone is completely irrelevant to determine the quality of a melody, or the adequacy of a harmony, or the liveliness of a rhythm, but tone (timbre actually) is what gives music a particular taste, is what makes some recording of a song feel tastier than others. The tone of his voice is what makes Gilmour a better singer than Waters, and the tone of his guitar is what makes him stand out from an endless ocean of blues influenced rock guitarist. The tone of Ricks synth is what pushes a pretty regular instrumental jam into orgasmic territory in Any Colour You Like, and is what makes you get goosebumps when you hear that ping at the beginning of Echoes. Pink Floyd were masters of tone, that's what makes them special and unlike any other band from their period.
Then I've misunderstood what "tone" means.
With "tone", I was thinking of Gilmour having to use this-or-that type of Stratocaster to be Gilmour. Or Barrett having to use a Telecaster to be Barrett.

If "tone" means the way a musician performs, I don't see what needing exactly this-or-that keyboard has to do with it.
I'd say Wright should also sound great on a not-very-expensive keyboard with just some preset sounds.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

danielcaux wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Is "tone and feel" really so important?
Well said, I agree, I remember a music lesson where the teacher spent quite some time discussing and trying to explain 'tone colour' and then he played a few examples and boy was it obvious.

:)
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote: What? Really? Well, of course it is! Specially in the case of Pink Floyd! Tone is EVERYTHING in the case of Floyd. Tone is what makes the "Pink Floyd sound", well, a sound.

Exactly.

Of course, tone is completely irrelevant to determine the quality of a melody, or the adequacy of a harmony, or the liveliness of a rhythm, but tone (timbre actually) is what gives music a particular taste, is what makes some recording of a song feel tastier than others. The tone of his voice is what makes Gilmour a better singer than Waters, and the tone of his guitar is what makes him stand out from an endless ocean of blues influenced rock guitarist.

Yes. And it's why Radio Kaoss sounds like a pile of poop, and Animals sounds amazing.

The tone of Ricks synth is what pushes a pretty regular instrumental jam into orgasmic territory in Any Colour You Like, and is what makes you get goosebumps when you hear that ping at the beginning of Echoes. Pink Floyd were masters of tone, that's what makes them special and unlike any other band from their period.
Yes!

This attention to detail is only rivaled by Radiohead. And even then, they come up short to The Floyd.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Flathead wrote:This attention to detail is only rivaled by Radiohead. And even then, they come up short to The Floyd.
There's a lot more bands than just Radiohead that pay high attention to detail, but I generally agree that none of them come even close to Floyd.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Wolfpack wrote: Then I've misunderstood what "tone" means.
With "tone", I was thinking of Gilmour having to use this-or-that type of Stratocaster to be Gilmour. Or Barrett having to use a Telecaster to be Barrett.
Actually...
Gilmour does have to use a certain guitar to get a particularly specific tone. For sure. But he does not need any certain guitar to be Gilmour. He's always Gilmour. If he's playing a ukulele he's Gilmour. However, if he set a precedent earlier with a specific sound he will need everything to be right in order to recreate it. Less discerning ears might not notice the difference between a Telecaster and a Strat with the right effects going but obviously the player would notice. David Gilmour is not a generic guitar player. His choice of notes, his attack, and most importantly the emotion behind it, all work together equally with his tone to create his unique sound.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

New clip up on Facebook.

<.8.>

WOW.

This is what happens when you dump the drinking buddies and get a real producer. It sounds ALIVE.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Flathead wrote:New clip up on Facebook.

<.8.>

WOW.

This is what happens when you dump the drinking buddies and get a real producer. It sounds ALIVE.
Just came running to inform but luckily you were on the case. It had me at the first "DNNNGGG!" of the guitar!
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

I like what I hear so far. Can't wait to hear a clip with some vocals.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Is this is the endless river Mk Ii?

And is Roger hiding his vocals? I know he struggles with his voice but it's odd that all he's putting out is little snippets of generic tunes, given he's supposed to be all about the lyrics
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Nice clip. kinda reminds me of "Hello, I love You" in some parts... perhaps he will include a version of it in the album?

Nah, don't think so, I think is just the guitar that reminds me of that track.
kjek1 wrote:given he's supposed to be all about the lyrics
That's actually just how most Gilmourheads prefer to portray him in their minds, but that's far from the truth. Roger was the main songwriter in Pink Floyd, not just the lyricist and conceptualist. He actually came up with a lot of the melodies and chords for the songs.

So yeah, he does care about the music too, not just the lyrics.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

kjek1 wrote:
And is Roger hiding his vocals? I know he struggles with his voice but it's odd that all he's putting out is little snippets of generic tunes, given he's supposed to be all about the lyrics
Yes, Roger is hiding his vocals. He struggles so much with his voice that he's putting out little snippets of generic tunes, carfully keeping his vocals hidden until everyone has bought the album and realize he's a croak below flu-ridden Bob Dylan. Him that is supposed to be all about the lyrics... I don't know what is going on.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:Nice clip. kinda reminds me of "Hello, I love You" in some parts... perhaps he will include a version of it in the album?

Nah, don't think so, I think is just the guitar that reminds me of that track.
kjek1 wrote:given he's supposed to be all about the lyrics
That's actually just how most Gilmourheads prefer to portray him in their minds, but that's far from the truth. Roger was the main songwriter in Pink Floyd, not just the lyricist and conceptualist. He actually came up with a lot of the melodies and chords for the songs.

So yeah, he does care about the music too, not just the lyrics.
Yes, predominately the lesser tunes if we're honest. I think the dire quality of his solo
Work sort of shows him up for his lack of musicianship.