the immaculancy (sp?) of the Floyd live

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

the immaculancy (sp?) of the Floyd live

Post by white rabbit »

i got a good friend who's really into music theory, composition, instrumentation, etc. and when he heard pink floyd live for the first time, he was completely blown away. i don't think i've ever seen him so impressed by a band. he kept going on about how intricate and complex the music is, and how hard it would be to perform, espeacially if they do their own f/x. anybody whose a real musician here, you know what i'm talking about. all the layering of the instruments, the f/x, everything. plus, i'm really impressed that david gilmour is able to play those guitar pieces and sing at the same time. his guitar work, i think, is some of the best ever written. (second only to Frank Zappa IMO)

it kinda ed me off, though...in the new rollling stone, they have a list of the "top 100 guitarists of all time". david is only like 82, i think. i was just relieved to see he beat angus young, van halen, and someone else i don't like and aren't impressed by. but this is what really gets me...kurt kobain was around number 20! he sucked! he could barely play power chords!! jimi hendrix was number 1. i love jimi and all, but i don't think he's number one guitar player of all time. personally, i think that should'a gone to Zappa with Gilmour second.
Pinkpig21
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pinkpig21 »

I agree that Gilmour should be ranked much higher, and it's good that he's higher than Angus Young and Van Halen. I don't agree that Kurt Cobain sucked. He may have played a lot of power chords, but the guitar on Nirvana Unplugged is some of the best acoustic I've ever heard.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Couldn't agree more. Nirvana unplugged is sheer joy to watch and listen to. Gilmour should be a lot higher in my book (top 10 maybe).

Hail Hail
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Yeah,but the list was meant to be the greatest players of all time,and Kurt just is'nt one of the greatest ever players!!!Fact!!
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Re: the immaculancy (sp?) of the Floyd live

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

skewed perception wrote:i got a good friend who's really into music theory, composition, instrumentation, etc. and when he heard pink floyd live for the first time, he was completely blown away. i don't think i've ever seen him so impressed by a band. he kept going on about how intricate and complex the music is, and how hard it would be to perform, espeacially if they do their own f/x. anybody whose a real musician here, you know what i'm talking about. all the layering of the instruments, the f/x, everything. plus, i'm really impressed that david gilmour is able to play those guitar pieces and sing at the same time. his guitar work, i think, is some of the best ever written. (second only to Frank Zappa IMO)

it kinda ed me off, though...in the new rollling stone, they have a list of the "top 100 guitarists of all time". david is only like 82, i think. i was just relieved to see he beat angus young, van halen, and someone else i don't like and aren't impressed by. but this is what really gets me...kurt kobain was around number 20! he sucked! he could barely play power chords!! jimi hendrix was number 1. i love jimi and all, but i don't think he's number one guitar player of all time. personally, i think that should'a gone to Zappa with Gilmour second.

Most of the respect Zappa gets seems to come primarily from musicians and his relativly small but loyal audience and as he was such a determined maverick and outsider as far as his music goes, not to mention his almost invisible standing in the "popular" domain he will never really get the recognition he deserves over-all. When it comes to popularity contests which quite alot of those lists seem to be he will generally always make a poor showing if he makes any showing at all. It's not justice but it seems to be the way it is because although he is an extremely versatile guitarist he is not one of the "popular" favorites. I won't debate Cobain's abilities as a guitar player but a Zappa should place on such a list before Kurt and much much higher.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I, of course, think David should've gotten #1, and Zappa #2.... I like Nirvana, and Kurt Cobain, but more for his writing style than guitar work. (Being a Seattlite, originally, I do love the grunge bands!) And your friend was right, Skewed, David DOES do a phenomenal job in concert- best I've ever seen...
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by white rabbit »

you said a lot of great things there, vlad. i take it you are a musician? anyway, kurt cobain's playing style, compared to other greats, is (brutally honest) pathetic. i won't deny that he was a great entertainer, but an artist and guitar classic? i don't view it that way. i agree, live unplugged in new york is awesome! i like it so much better than all their studio cd's. but i don't view kurt as a landmark in the history of guitarists. but he definitely is a landmark, a pretty big at that, in entertainment and music history.
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

Relax and have a cigar, bud. Remember, it's only the opinion of the magazine, and an opinion does not necessarily translate into fact (unless it's YOUR opinion.)
I watch music stations on TV occasionally and they're always covering the top 10 of <this> and the top 100 of <that> blah blah blah... and it's all just some producers' opinion of the moment. Know what I mean?
At one time in my life I thought Stairway To Heaven was the greatest song of all time. I was wrong - it's Happy Birthday To You.

Anyways, Dave could never, and will never be the greatest guitarist of all time. That title is held by my dear brother, Glenn. God bless his fingers [-D-]
hsieh_311
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hsieh_311 »

skewed perception wrote:I'm gay...
just kidding... :lol:
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by white rabbit »

hsieh_311 wrote:syphalis? oh yeah, got that!
don't know if it's a joke or not! :lol: :lol:
PBR_Fan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PBR_Fan »

No mention of Duane Allman or Stevie Ray Vaughan in this thread?

pathetic
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, I love Gilmour's playing. There are several things he's invented, that are a little odd that I like - small subtle things. I would put him above Cobain (remember there is a hired guitarist on Unplugged). However, I'm not sure realistically weather he could be placed much higher, let alone be number one. He's a good team player, and seems to work towards the song. But Hendrix and Zappa for example run their shows. So a solo and band related guitarist list might make more sense. And what about live or studio. Yes, the Allmand Bros. have wild guitar interplay live that is quite wild...I like Dave. :D :shock: