Floyd Vault goodies by mail-order?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
tom troccoli
Embryo
Embryo

Floyd Vault goodies by mail-order?

Post by tom troccoli »

Has anyone here ever heard of ANY plans for Floyd to make their vast live vault available to us consumers ala The Grateful dead 'Dick's Picks" series?
I know Zappa's family is also attempting to tap into this ready made market, but have heard NOTHING like this from Floyd.
Come to think of it isn't The Wall Live the ONLY vault release they've done (not counting Relics)?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

"Vast live vault?"

Everything I've ever heard suggests exactly the opposite. That there ISN'T a vast live vault.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

This is my favorite topic! The rumour is that there is no great vault. Yet, from Gilmour's Like A Rolling Stone and the Wall demos, not to mention various radio shows (other than BBC) and very good quality boots... what I'm getting at is that there is more and this is a very good idea, including finding bootleg source tapes and remastering them for official release...and mail order could be the way. I would in fact, love to set this up for the band.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I wish I was a Grateful Dead fan. It'd be nice if the Floyd released some live tracks or studio outtakes, but we all know that Dave and the others are so mean to us poor fans. :cry:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think it's more an issue of vanity.

Behind The Wall showed footage from the live shows that was sparkling clean and most certainly NOT "shoddy," yet Roger doesn't want to release it...not yet, anyway.

I'm certain that he wouldn't want to release The Wall or TFC Demos...hell, as I've noted in another post, he's even changed parts of The Wall in Berlin for the DVD release.

Roger Waters is certainly NOT going to release any "work in progress" things as they would give a certain "un-professional" air, I suppose.

Gilmour strikes me as being the same way...they don't seem to want to release anything that will reveal them as "ordinary mortals."

Gilmour even once said something to the effect that he was concerned that the Floyd's "astral" image might be tarnished by the idea of them sitting at home in front of the telly, drinking beer.

There's a certain mystique that can only be upheld by NOT allowing "imperfect" materials onto the open market.

I suppose they figure ROIO's have it covered.

To be honest, I think I like it that way, myself. There's a certain thrill to tracking something down and bargaining with the person who has it.

It makes one feel like one is engaging in naughty behaviour :)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Yeah. Actually, Gilmour's comment that now is the time for the bootleggers to turn on their machines during the Meltdown show and the Like a Rolling Stone dl at this site hints that they kinda rely on boots in a way. What about Flickering Flame (I think a number of other songs should have been on it...). They are finicky, which is good. Though, I still believe Roger is holding back on most releases. The Zambriski Point bonus tracks are great to me, but are non-roger tracks. At one point in the nineties, Dave was pushing for wall/TFC demos and stuff to be released, Roger insisted there wasn't much (these are in articles); ITAOT I think was the compromise. But the whole album was demoed!
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

mosespa wrote:There's a certain mystique that can only be upheld by NOT allowing "imperfect" materials onto the open market.

I suppose they figure ROIO's have it covered.
That's exactly what I don't understand. On the one hand they are keen on keeping "imperfect" material away from their fans. On the other hand they don't try to 'beat the ROIO's'. As far as I understand, PF have recorded quite a few live shows through the years. Why don't they clean those tapes up, polish the sound a bit and release a few concerts?
The result of such an action would certainly be less "imperfect" than all the ROIO's floating around. With all the modern digital editing and mastering techniques, they could even make a turd sound like heaven.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

ganaffe wrote:As far as I understand, PF have recorded quite a few live shows through the years. Why don't they clean those tapes up, polish the sound a bit and release a few concerts?
The result of such an action would certainly be less "imperfect" than all the ROIO's floating around. With all the modern digital editing and mastering techniques, they could even make a turd sound like heaven.
That's true. ITAOT? is the best proof.