pompeii dvd

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Oh, boy. That clip of "Saucerful of Secrets" was great! I've never seen the Pompeii-video before, but now I'm probably gonna get the DVD sometime! Also, I kinda like SoS... Very weird.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Pompeii DVD

Post by bmet »

I think the Director's cut is quite the improvement over the original version(s).I like the way Maben segues new footage with old (ie.External shots
outside Abbey Road studios [probably recent] with that of activities inside
some 30 years earlier).The concept of aliens from another world blasting
off into space and arriving on earth to discover the Floyd's music (Maben's interview comment+ Spaceship footage=A bit of a stretch!!!) - but the new
volcanos,lava & Pompeii footage is great!
I think that any new interview footage is very welcome,even though there seems to be alot of emphasis on Band disagreements and fighting which is
repeatedly asked on the new footage as it already is asked on the older footage.Perhaps this is why the Paris footage was originally left off.
All in all it's been a very good year for the fans! I just hope "The Syd
Barrett DVD comes to Canada.I mean -We all should ask the Floyd to produce a nice DVD Outer Box that owners of DSOTM,Pompeii,& Barrett
Story can slide their DVD's into to display on our DVD shelf.After all,it might be the closest we get to a Beatles-style Anotholgy release??!!! :idea:

bmet

"You've been in the pipeline filling in time!"
Pinkpig21
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pinkpig21 »

It came out today! I'm on my way to get it. I've never seen it besides, Echoes Pt. 1. :D
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

Ahhh. yes, thoes are some really nice pictures!

And, this DVD is awesome! Its my fav Floyd film so, I'm just so happy at the moment to have it on DVD and I love the extra interviews....

Anyway, I reccomend you all to buy it!

:P
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Keith, you said Nick Mason looked sexy on the post where you posted his pic...and why didn't libby get told off when she called him sexy tooo...

I don't get it. :evil:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

'Cause Keith is a guy when he uses the word sexy to describe a clip from the film it's widely accepted by other guys that he means the colour and picture's really nice (as in, "i had a sexy Vindaloo last night")

I thought the dvd was a dissapointment, the extra footage was nice but the space bbits and computer effects were needless and best, such a waste of time, especially in Echoes part 2 when they had the volcano eruption over the town :x

Still, new footage was nice and the dvd has the usual version anyway
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

David Smith wrote:'Cause Keith is a guy when he uses the word sexy to describe a clip from the film it's widely accepted by other guys that he means the colour and picture's really nice (as in, "i had a sexy Vindaloo last night")
That's even more gross than considering an old wrinkled prog-rock singer sexy! :o
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

For British guys sexy is an adjective that can be applied to anything good, though when used about a woman it takes a much more sexual meaning
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

even though it is released on monday 20 oct it was in hmv a week before
cheeky :lol: (but if you know a music zone go there becuase it's only ?16.00
plus got the darkside dvd.
and me mate bought dave gilmour dvd
:P
TheVegetableMan
Axe
Axe

Post by TheVegetableMan »

WTF was MABEN thinking with these lame ass space shots and computer generated versions of POMPEII in this film. He totally screwed up a masterpiece that really didn't need sprucing up. The add footage of the Floyd in France recording ECHOES and the B/W interviews should have been the ONLY thing Maben should have put in the film. All that other stuff was complete bullocks and in my opinion completely ruined the feel of the film.

In the Maben interview he talks about how the FLOYD wanted to be about the music and not just another concert flick like WOODSTOCK. It was that. And what's this sh** about aliens coming across the universe to watch them play (But are invisibel to us).

I liked the fact this it WAS just THE FLOYD and THEIR MUSIC. Now it's some really lame ass attempt to get visually psychedelic when the music alone accomplished it.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Arrrggghhhh! None of the shops around here have the dvd yet. I've been checking twice a day since Tuesday, this is really ticking me off. I should've pre-ordered it.

I hate living in a small town. :(
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

amazon, amazon, amazon.com!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Richter_M. wrote:Arrrggghhhh! None of the shops around here have the dvd yet. I've been checking twice a day since Tuesday, this is really ticking me off. I should've pre-ordered it.

I hate living in a small town. :(
http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/featu ... uy_pompeii
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

TheVegetableMan wrote:WTF was MABEN thinking with these lame ass space shots and computer generated versions of POMPEII in this film. He totally screwed up a masterpiece that really didn't need sprucing up. The add footage of the Floyd in France recording ECHOES and the B/W interviews should have been the ONLY thing Maben should have put in the film. All that other stuff was complete bullocks and in my opinion completely ruined the feel of the film.
Completely agree but fortunately there's also the original movie version on it. I like the bits in the studio though. But why did they had to be edited over the music and not as a sort of additional documentary. Or is it just to make you buy the Dark side dvd in which features more of this material?
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

rosm wrote: ... fortunately there's also the original movie version on it.
Yeah but, it's not the original movie. The titles are different. On my VHS copy of it the titles are much stronger and 'arthouse' looking. On the DVD's 'original film' they're really weedy and have am entirely different feel to them.

Does anyone know why this is?