Final Cut

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

TFC is a great album. I really like pre-DSotM stuff, but generally feel that this is my favorite PF album; the production/sound is great. The subject matter is very noble and adult-like, for a pop/rock band. I listen to this album around remeberence day every year and think about my grandfather who was in WWII. I also grew up never having met my father, so I can relate to a fair amount that Roger writes about in general. I also think the Wall/TFC/AtD makes an interesting trillogy, rather than Roger's take that there is a kind of DSotM/Wall/AtD trillogy...anyway, it really is good!
The Scarecrow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by The Scarecrow »

I always thought I would hate The Final Cut. When I heard it was basically a Roger Waters solo album and no one else had any input I thought it would be horrible. But I liked "The Fletcher Memorial Home" when I bought Echoes, so I decided to buy it. I was pleasantly suprised. The lyrics are fantastic! It made me think about my grandfather, who also was a WWII vet. I never got to know him, but some of the things brought up in the album reminded me of him. I also got a good laugh out of the backing vocals for "Not Now John." Hearing the ladies repeat " f#$k all that" was great.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

I think one of the greatest thing one can do is hear a negative review and then check the thing out for themselves. I have found more things I love from the things others have hated.

Challenge yourself.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:I think one of the greatest thing one can do is hear a negative review and then check the thing out for themselves. I have found more things I love from the things others have hated.
Depends on who hates it and for what reasons. I would trust someone's opinion on something if we shared very similar viewpoints, conversely, if someone I knew was diametrically opposed to my own viewpoint hated something, I'd also take that as an endorsement. Because *certain* people hated TFC, I figured it had to be good, and I was right.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Meddler wrote:I want Gunners Dream played at my funeral... :o
Me too! It's my favourite song on the album, as well...
x-rays
Axe
Axe

Post by x-rays »

The Final Cut is my favourite album just 'cause it's actually not the best! :)
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

...progressive rockband...give me a :-#

peace
zag
dswain81
Blade
Blade

Post by dswain81 »

It took me a while to really "get" the album, but once I did, I couldnt put it down for a long time. The guitar solos on that album are absolutely superb and often overlooked. Gilmour really tore it up when he was given the chance.

I can't really listen to TFC very often though, as it depresses me beyond recognition. However, when I am in the right mood, this album is great. I highly recommend you listen to it with headphones and the lyrics in front of you...it elevates the experience in my opinion.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

dswain81 wrote:I highly recommend you listen to it with headphones and the lyrics in front of you...it elevates the experience in my opinion.
Not necessary when you have listened to the album so often that you know the lyrics :)
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Im going to go to sleep with TFC tonight. I'll tell you all if I have any weird dreams... oh boy here it goes :o
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Apart from TFC being a megga brill album it was also in glorious Holophonic sound. This system attempted to give you surround a sound with only two speakers. Follow the link below to a site which explains the concept of holophonics and how it relates to some Pink Floyd records.

Rog also used it on some of his solo albums and Im sure There is an interview with him talking about it on a roio called "5280 Hz wave"

http://www.ainet.com/eye/philo/simai.html