(Colourised Video) Pink Floyd Apples and Oranges on American Bandstand 1967

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

(Colourised Video) Pink Floyd Apples and Oranges on American Bandstand 1967

Post by Keith Jordan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsjAVV_GZqE

Mission accomplished, or just hastily abandoned.
I present to you my final version of Apples and Oranges at the American Bandstand show. Recorded at the ABC Studios, Burbank, California on November 7th 1967. The band performs a halfhearted version of Apples and Oranges, presumeably in pre-taped rehearsal with a somewhat absent Syd Barrett fronting the show.

Before reading the rambling:
Support the arts. Drop a tip to the unpaid, absolutely crazy, artist on the border.
https://www.paypal.me/artistontheborder

It won't mean all that much to you. But it means a lot to me.

You have by now seen the black and white HD restoration I created and released a couple of months back and believe it or not, the two versions was in production, more or less simultaniously.
This version however proved to be much dodgier than the plain black and white.
First and foremost, AI coloration is still in its infancy. There are several tools available, purchased as well as free. But the outcome isn't always predictable.
I sided, after testing a few, with HOTPOT.AI which at the time was free and showed great results. The overall color vibrancy was absolutely astounding. Problem though was the lack of automation, and as time progressed, limitations implemented to the tool itself.
Each frame of the 3350 required frames (music performance) had to be uploaded individually, downloaded again and individually named. You can guess the rest.

(The reason the intro and outro are missing are....colours aren't right on parts of the outro. And that damn copy of "Piper" Dick is holding is not being interpreted correctly and hours
of tracking a color photo of the same cover onto the footage doesn't work).

But besides that the outcome it pretty descent wouldn't you say?

The techy stuff:
Frame adjustment from stretched 16:9 to proper 4:3 image ratio.
Frame size upscaled to 1440x1080 (1080p)
Frame processed with added black and white definitions.
Frame sharpened using Topaz Sharpen AI software
Frame colorized using Hotpot.ai
Frame(s) interpolated back into 60 fps video sequence using FlowFrames.
...and that excludes hand sorting the duplicate frames out of original video sequence.

I started the project in February 2021. It ended on the 30th of december 2021.
I'm not doing this again, like this.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: (Colourised Video) Pink Floyd Apples and Oranges on American Bandstand 1967

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Projects like this are so fascinating. There has been some stellar work on colourising episodes of Doctor Who that were broadcast in colour then wiped by the BBC for example so seeing this applied to old Pink Floyd videos is pretty cool too.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (Colourised Video) Pink Floyd Apples and Oranges on American Bandstand 1967

Post by Keith Jordan »

I do enjoy a bit of colourising. I follow a couple of Instagram accounts where they colourise pictures from history, really brings things to life.