Current Youth:(Tell me about it-Hearing DSOTM the 1st Time!)

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Current Youth:(Tell me about it-Hearing DSOTM the 1st Time!)

Post by bmet »

Having recently come home on a train from a long holiday weekend,I witnessed a car full of young university students,everyone toting a portable CD player and a stack of CD's and CDR's.I didn't see any Floyd
stuff in the stack,but it is obvious from this website that the Floyd experience can touch all age groups from teens to 50's.
It occurred to me that my generation was hearing the Floyd in their 70's prime,the next generation probably raided their older siblings record collection,the next raided their parents collection (plus had the benefit of
a late 80's and early 90's reunion of the original members+Waters tours).
So my question is directed to older teens and young 20 year olds who are
members of this website.I'm also loading this query with stipulations.You must have no older siblings or parents that ever owned a copy of DSOTM.(These parents were probably the ones that lived in the 80's and strictly listened to the New Wavish stuff during that decade).You only heard of DSOTM from a friend,word of mouth,or in a music article you read......
Okay,Let's lay out a senario...You're listening to the current crop of bands
and their music and some of your parent's 80' & '90's stuff (We'll add the
90's too).Suddenly,an articles appears in a music publication praising this
70's LP called DSOTM...Curiousity begins...you go to a store,library,a friend to ["(Beg,Borrow or Steal)...Ha!"] a copy of the Album.
You slap it into a Player for the 1st time...........Now,Tell me about the
Experience!!!!!!
(Note:the first time I heard it was in 1974 on a crappy stereo system.I did not listen to it on headphones the first time.I guess I share Gilmour's
wish alittle bit!).
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Im current youth and I dislike DSOTM. I remember that first time listening Brain Damage was really something. I had this scary image of PF and well.... that song didnt broke it. especially that synth in the end but I prefer something else from them. I think it was pop record with great tunes but it wears itself out very quickly. Im more fan of Pre-DSOTM.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Oh man, I got to listen to it in headphones for the first time. I was in a different universe! The voices and laughter got me, I paused it, looked around, and was like, wtf.... have been a fan ever since!!!! ;) I stole my first copy of Dark Side, but Ive made up for it, x 200 ;)
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Having been blown away by listening to 'Piper' as my first album, I got even more blown away with DSOTM, which I listened to with headphones, for the first time,...and it was also my birthday :P (it was a gift from my sister)

BTW, my parents aren't 80s parents, their musical taste comes from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, so don't miscalculate.
A classmate's father owns a vynil of DSOTM. And it's not uncommon to find, a teacher of mine who's around the same age, also has a copy.

Wish my parents had been into that kind of music, instead of the pop trash they liked...
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I hope one day my grandchildren will be listening to The Floyd as well.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Well, of course! Their granddad made it :wink: Anyway, I first heard it when I downloaded it from the internet, but it didn't exactly "blow me away". I liked it and all, but it came from one of the older mixes and was not very loud. Then I loaned the new SACD at the library and now I was blown away. I've loved it ever since and I'm definately gonna purchase the 30th anniversary vinyl!
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

its my plain when I have children one day that I will play Pink FDloyd in the car like my mom did too me. Their kids will hopefuly do the samething.

I like DSOTM. I have two copys of it on album and my mum had the vyln(which I am not to use until I am older)
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Wow... What does she think you are? I'm younger then you and I have a kinda big vinyl collection myself :shock:
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

she is kind of selffish
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

Dang it, my dad has an original copy of DSotM on vinyl...so I don't count! :P
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

I first heard it when i was about 9, dad has it on tape and i put it on in the car one day, it kicked ass. I then brought the XX version and have virtually listened to it for the last 10 years.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Post by bmet »

Stupidus wrote:
Im current youth and I dislike DSOTM. I remember that first time listening Brain Damage was really something. I had this scary image of PF and well.... that song didnt broke it. especially that synth in the end but I prefer something else from them. I think it was pop record with great tunes but it wears itself out very quickly. Im more fan of Pre-DSOTM.
I guess a similar incident happened to me in the '70's.I acknowledged the current Floyd LP's of Dark Side & Wish
at that time,but it made me search backwards into the early Floyd stuff.
My other friends hated the Floyd stuff (pre-Meddle),I was blown away when I started buying Bootlegs (ie .Hollywood Bowl '72) When I heard
Careful with that Axe,Saucerful of Secrets,and Set the Controls I was more blown away with that stuff.
"Set the Control for the Heart of the Sun" -What a great title for a Song!!!!
Hey! There's a topic starter!!!! :!:
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

This is first time DSOTM isn't with me. Every time I'm on the road I take at least DSOTM with me. I remember the first time I listened to it. I was driving from my brother and I had just bought it. I was in a highway and then those heartbeats, oh god it was fantastic. Nowadays I don't listen it so often but when I saw DSOTM vinyl in second hand store I had to buy it and still it is the only vinyl I own (I don't have vinyl player) I think everybody should listen DSOTM at least once in a lifetime.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Well, my parents are on the "conservative" side, to give you an example, my dad thinks that some of Chicago's stuff is "a little too hard" :lol: no joking. Anyway, I had a friend who suggested PF and told me a bit about them. So when I got a chance I bought the wall, loved it, bought DSOTM and was kinda disapointed. But after a couple of listens, I came to love it.
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

I have three versions of the vynil, one is my parents, the other I bought in America and I bought the other in France. Its groovy because the one my dad got in '72, has the black round sticker on the cover saying: Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon... and I'm not sure if that was one of the stickers that was originally in the album...Anyway, and in my parent's version, the poster has pics of The Floyd and its my fav one, the one I got from France has no stickers and a poster with the green pyramids...The one I got from America has a poster of just the album cover...so, its rather cool...And since they're from different countries, the prisms look rather different from one another....Interesting!