Should Roger Waters tour The Final Cut (40th anniversary in 2023)?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Should Roger Waters tour The Final Cut (40th anniversary in 2023)?

Post by Hadrian »

Hi All,

As we all know The Final Cut is not everyone's cup of tea and a rather controversial entry in Pink Floyd's catalogue. Nonetheless, I do believe that it is an excellent record in its own way, and largely underrated. Pink Floyd never performed any of it, Roger Waters in contrast did a large chunk of it between his various solo tours against a visual backdrop (including videos) that is very similar to the album art; nonetheless, this album was never given the proper stage treatment it deserves.

If Roger Waters decided to honour the album's 40th anniversary in 2023 and perform the whole record as a concert set (I love those affairs, especially Pink Floyd related ones), would you go to see it? I know that he is saying he is retiring from tours in 2023, but this would be a great way to have that final cut, stage-wise, as well. It wouldn't have to be a large and long around the world affair, even a small number of shows (to capture the performance for a live album and concert video) would do. I noticed people talking with Jon Carin about this on his Facebook page periodically, and encouraging Jon to whisper in Roger's ear about the idea.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Should Roger Waters tour The Final Cut (40th anniversary in 2023)?

Post by Kerry King »

Hadrian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:51 pm If Roger Waters decided to honour the album's 40th anniversary in 2023 and perform the whole record as a concert set would you go to see it?
If he could sing it with even half the strength and passion of 1983, maybe.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well I'd rather he spent 2023 touring something new and maybe including The Final Cut in its entirety?
Like TDB and DSOTM 1994 PF tour.
I know we've had Flickering Flame. But do you think you'd buy a less revisionist compilation of Roger?
As in chart failures rather than representative of each album. That sort of revisionism.
Complete honest portrait of Roger Waters solo. In the way Syd Barrett complied.
I don't think you'd get Gilmour guesting at a show if a TFC anniversary tour went through.
Wasn't there plans that fell through for a TFC show? If the paperwork survives etc. That could be a selling point. Ideas had for a possible tour updated to modern stadium standards.
I haven't read the book about The Final Cut. But that's a different ludicrous business decision!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

What I find surprising is that Roger did not do this for his 1984-85 tour. That was the perfect time for it: Set 1 as The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking in its entirety (this was Set 2 on the actual tour), Set 2 as The Final Cut, and for the Encore, the Old Pink (as Roger calls it: the best of Pink Floyd, selected according to RW).

I also like the idea of Old Pink (Set 1) and The Final Cut (Set 2) for 2023. He has been redoing The Final Cut pieces during the pandemic, that was released on YouTube (so, the record is still on his mind).
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Large sections of the album have no drum groove whatsoever so I think he would need to address that for live (which I'm sure he's equipped to do and I would be interested to see!)
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Well, he is only on his first farewell tour.

That means he has at least 3 more in him right? :D
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

battra wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:20 pm Well, he is only on his first farewell tour.

I hope so
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Hadrian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:51 pm If Roger Waters decided to honour the album's 40th anniversary in 2023 and perform the whole record as a concert set (I love those affairs, especially Pink Floyd related ones), would you go to see it?
Bloody oath I would, if he came to Australia. Sadly, I doubt he would, and at my age (and with my fear of flying) I wouldn't be able to go to another country to see it (not that I would only got there for the concert, of course). But I hope that he does give TFC the treatment it deserves. Please forgive me, but TFC has to be my favourite album. If he doesn't tour it, then I'll have to tour it with my band :D
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

no, and to use his words, because he is a spent force
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:40 pm
Hadrian wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:51 pm If Roger Waters decided to honour the album's 40th anniversary in 2023 and perform the whole record as a concert set (I love those affairs, especially Pink Floyd related ones), would you go to see it?
Bloody oath I would, if he came to Australia. Sadly, I doubt he would, and at my age (and with my fear of flying) I wouldn't be able to go to another country to see it (not that I would only got there for the concert, of course). But I hope that he does give TFC the treatment it deserves. Please forgive me, but TFC has to be my favourite album. If he doesn't tour it, then I'll have to tour it with my band :D
They did nearly tour TFC - if you search hard enough on the forum you will find my post about it :-;
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

drafsack wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:40 pm
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:40 pm

They did nearly tour TFC - if you search hard enough on the forum you will find my post about it :-;
It's a classic! :)
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:36 pm
battra wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:20 pm Well, he is only on his first farewell tour.

I hope so
I'd be seriously surprised if this wasn't the last hurrah to be frank.

He's too old just for the travel schedule let alone the concert part of the concert tour.

I'd love to be wrong, as I've never seen him.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Maybe if he can keep his politics for the night relegated simply to the political climate of the time the album was made. Kind of like a "Storytellers" sort of thing, maybe.

I do love the album, but I just can't see him pulling it off live without pre-recorded tapes (unsatisfactory,) or radically re-arranging the songs (also unsatisfactory, but slightly less so than using tapes.)

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, though!
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

For what it's worth, "Two Suns in the Sunset" on this tour in 2022 is very well done. Solid, modern arrangement, great sax solo in it, brand new background film on the screens for the song. The material has potential. I hear you on the voice comment, I agree.