Dark side of the Moon in cinemas!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
PinkFloydCollectors
Axe
Axe

Dark side of the Moon in cinemas!

Post by PinkFloydCollectors »

Would you buy a ticket to hear Pink Floyd’s DSOTM at an IMAX or a cinema with an Atmos Dolby sound set up? If yes what should be played on the screen, while the album plays?
mosespa

Re: Dark side of the Moon in cinemas!

Post by mosespa »

It would depend on how much it cost. I'm not going to pay as much to listen to a recording as I would to see a live band. Just not going to happen.

So, given a reasonable price, what should be on the screen is an easy answer; the screen films from the concerts.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

The Wizard of Oz would be an obvious choice, but I'm not sure I'd go to see it - that doesn't mean much though as I haven't been to a cinema for over 10 years.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I... Could just hear this at home. To travel (find and pay parking as others) just to sit in a comfortable (not knocking that!) warm place with strangers. Just to hear something I've already heard and own?
Ok, I'll play.

Speak To Me. Footage of a GoPro falling back down to Earth from a helium balloon.
Breathe In The Air. GoPro falls into sea.
On The Run. GoPro gets eaten by whale which is then hunted and killed by fisherman.
Time. GoPro found in whale's carcass by lowly paid employee who steals it.
Great Gig In The Sky. Lowly paid employee walks back to home where he finds his partner cheating.
Money. Lowly paid employee beats partner to death with GoPro.
Us And Them. GoPro in corner of room filming employee shrugging to Police questioning.
Any Colour You Like. GoPro footage of room being bulldozed.
Brain Damage. Employee recovers GoPro from rubble.
Eclipse. Employee ties another helium balloon to GoPro. Ends with GoPro sailing out into cosmos.

Aww, a film that has you rooting for an inanimate object rather than characters.
You watch, some talentless hack will nick this idea for their own crap!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I've seen DSOTM and WYWH in the 360-degree 'planetarium' format and the visuals are a mix of astronomy images, the official Pink Floyd animations and graphics.

The sound is truly immersive.

Such a presentation is clearly better in a proper hemispherical dome and would probably work in the hybrid IMAX at San Diego (Air Space Museum) but would maybe not work quite so well at the IMAX at Waterloo in London (even with its new 12-Channel sound).

Here's a video to give you a feel for the show -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddyJTQYBYw

OFF TOPIC, here's a film of WYWH -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUeVnaxrbc
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:38 pm I... Could just hear this at home. To travel (find and pay parking as others) just to sit in a comfortable (not knocking that!) warm place with strangers. Just to hear something I've already heard and own?
Ok, I'll play.

Speak To Me. Footage of a GoPro falling back down to Earth from a helium balloon.
Breathe In The Air. GoPro falls into sea.
On The Run. GoPro gets eaten by whale which is then hunted and killed by fisherman.
Time. GoPro found in whale's carcass by lowly paid employee who steals it.
Great Gig In The Sky. Lowly paid employee walks back to home where he finds his partner cheating.
Us And Them. GoPro in corner of room filming employee shrugging to Police questioning.
Any Colour You Like. GoPro footage of room being bulldozed.
Brain Damage. Employee recovers GoPro from rubble.
Eclipse. Employee ties another helium balloon to GoPro. Ends with GoPro sailing out into cosmos.

Aww, a film that has you rooting for an inanimate object rather than characters.
You watch, some talentless hack will nick this idea for their own crap!
I would pay to watch that GoPro story :lol: for just listening to DSOTM in Atmos? Not so much.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Yucateco wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:56 pm
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:38 pm Great Gig In The Sky. Lowly paid employee walks back to home where he finds his partner cheating.
I would pay to watch that GoPro story :lol: for just listening to DSOTM in Atmos? Not so much.
Thanks! I've been thinking about this too much. I can see the sequence. During Great Gig... He's walking home. Keeps cutting to his partner inviting in her lover. The employee comes home and discovers them on the final "ahhh" in the song. And that warping piano at the end is an extreme close up of him getting more furious.
And the cash register of Money accompanying her lover gets his face smashed in.
I know I know. I should focus on things that are happening right now. But yes. I too want to see this film!
Dtbscrowder
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dtbscrowder »

Does anyone here know of the process in order to host a screening at a planetarium? I live in the former east Germany and would love to see if there could be a screening in conjunction with the 50 year anniversary release.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Beckettp »

Isn't it likely that there will be stand alone releases from this box set, as there were with TER and TLY.?

It would make lot of sense to release a home video version of the planetarium show, which a lot of people will not be able to see. I would guess Aubrey Powell and others have spent much time developing this and the number of people experiencing it in planetariums would be relatively small given their limited capacity.

This would contain all the sound options from the box set Blu-ray and could be premiered in cinemas, coupled with, for example, a 4k version of Pompeii.

Another option they might consider for 2024 is blu ray releases of the winning animations and the planetarium visuals, in one set.