Bit of a morbid question, but: Ownership of the name 'Pink Floyd'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Bit of a morbid question, but: Ownership of the name 'Pink Floyd'

Post by Annoying Twit »

This is a bit of a morbid, question, but if David Gilmour (very sadly) passed on, who would own the name 'Pink Floyd'?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bit of a morbid question, but: Ownership of the name 'Pink Floyd'

Post by twcc »

^^^
My assumption would be it would become 'the estate of David Gilmour' and Nick Mason

https://find-and-update.company-informa ... 2/officers
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Well it wouldn't go to Roger, I know that much.

I wonder if he'll get the password? Probably not.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I certainly wasn't thinking that Roger would automatically get any more power or say in the matter.

According to: https://www.informdirect.co.uk/officers ... -director/, if a company director dies then the other directors can share out the responsibilities. I don't think that the estate becomes a director in their place.

From imperfect memory, I don't think the estate of. Walter Becker had any say in Donald Fagen continuing on as 'Steely Dan' when Becker died. But, again if I remember correctly, that was down to something specific in their legal arrangements and not a general concept. Also, they are an American band, not an English one.

Also, I'm not sure that the directorship of the company itself is definitive as to who controls the name.

I'm still not convinced that, if DG was no longer around, NM wouldn't have full say or at least a deciding say, in what happens.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:47 am Also, I'm not sure that the directorship of the company itself is definitive as to who controls the name.
Well, it's the shareholders who own a company and ultimately control it. In this case, as a shareholder, Gilmour can specify in his will who he leaves his shares to.
(If he's feeling magnanimous, it could be Waters!)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Or what after all this time there actually WAS a clause to cease Pink Floyd and the 80's lawsuit was to keep that secret?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

There are 4 main Pink Floyd companies - Pink Floyd Music Ltd, Pink Floyd Records Ltd, Pink Floyd (1987) Ltd and Pink Floyd Record (1987) Ltd. A search of companies house shows the 3 directors of the first two companies are David, Nick and Rog and the two directors of the last two are David and Nick. It also shows that Rick is listed as resigned from Pink Floyd Music Ltd in September 2008 but is not listed as ever being a director of the PF 87 companies.
If you troll through the archives of companies house it also shows PF 1987 Ltd traded as UK Rock Ltd and Freshname no. 32 Ltd
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

If I recall, everything pre-1987 requires approval from D, R & N and post '87 is just D & N. This would exclude things like box sets or compilation records because they involve all parties. In the end they agree because the money is too good.
I assume that once a member is deceased, their interest would be passed along to the estate or who ever the legal representative is.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

In case of David Gilmour's passing (or, alternatively but extremely unlikely, simply leaving the band), there is a distinct possibility of Nick Mason continuing on as Pink Floyd. In such a scenario Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour might have been a Pink Floyd tour. Stranger things have happened.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Hadrian wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:53 pm In case of David Gilmour's passing (or, alternatively but extremely unlikely, simply leaving the band), there is a distinct possibility of Nick Mason continuing on as Pink Floyd. In such a scenario Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour might have been a Pink Floyd tour. Stranger things have happened.
Well he was the only original member left in the recording of "Hey Hey Rise Up"...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:12 amWell he was the only original member left in the recording of "Hey Hey Rise Up"...
David has contributed most of his adult life to the band, and his musical ability probably made it a lot more successful that it would have been without him, so diminishing his importance because he wasn't in THE Pink Floyd is a little mean! :lol:
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:31 am David has contributed most of his adult life to the band, and his musical ability probably made it a lot more successful that it would have been without him, so diminishing his importance because he wasn't in THE Pink Floyd is a little mean! :lol:
Oh I meant no diminishment, it was more an observation of fact. I agree with you 100%.