Zürich concert 25. April 2023

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
DerFuehler
Embryo
Embryo

Zürich concert 25. April 2023

Post by DerFuehler »

Zurich Concert 25. April 2023

Well, where shall I start? E
Yesterday was my third RW concert.
Saw „The Wall“ twice - absolutely incredible and inspiring.
Yesterday was not. The “Hallenstadion” in Zurich was sold out - I didn’t have much pre knowledge of the criticism.
The enormous screens took the focus away from the band before the concert even started. Before the concert started these words appeared on the screen and were played over the sound system. I can’t remember the exact words, but the message was “if you’re here because you’re a Pink Floyd fan but don’t want to hear about Roger Waters political views, you’d probably do well to fuck off to the bar”.
Okay wow. Interesting way to start the concert and get the crowd on board. First song right out of the gate - comfotably numb. A version I‘d never heard before. Mostly vocal, incredible female voices, completely ignoring David Gilmours amazing solo though. Shame but still great. What followed after was hard to swallow. The music was on point, nothing special, great band, nice setlist. However; it felt like a political event. Every song was accompanied by angry visuals and a lot of text to read to. "F this, f that, f them, f them alway and f that." Roger would speak for minutes in between songs, saying he was spreading love and peace. His messages on the screens were telling a different story though. In my humble opinion they were basically attacking the US, their presidents - saying they were all mass murderers and war criminals. Alright, that's a way to look at the world. What bothered me though was how he picked out the few, not going into any of the other sorry "shit" and dictators worldwide, the real and only enemy was the US. What about the dictators in South America? Africa? China? Putin?? No mentions at all. The music became secondary, I felt like the point of the evening was to get people angry and especially angry at the US. I understand that the world is in a difficult place, we do have a lot of issues. And some, maybe most of us might be confrontated with such issues on a daily basis. This is my opinion - but when I pay 200 dollars to go to a concert, I go to the concert to enjoy the music and maybe even to get away from these daily struggles. I want to enjoy 2-3 hours, listening to music I love and to forget about the world around me, the issues I have and the problems the world might be in. A few powerful and thoughtdul words would have been absolutely okay. But using Pink Floyd songs as an accompaniment to spread anger surely can't be what they had in mind back in the day. Sorry Roger, I absolutely love and enjoy your music. But don't make the people who don't completely agree with your views your enemy. We're not. The crowd sadly never really got into it and the end left many confused.
Music 8/10, visual effects 9/10 atmosphere 2/10, overall vibes 3/10.
Sadly would not recommend...

You's truly - thefeeler
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Zürich concert 25. April 2023

Post by flashback »

Thank you for posting about how it was. Please come back and join us on other topics on the forum. I'm afraid Roger will turn most off with his actions.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Zürich concert 25. April 2023

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

See I could have made Roger's coat and machine gun funnier by turning round at the end of the section to show shitstains dripping down from the arse of the coat. Typical hippies. Nothing left to laugh about including themselves so what the faaa as Zappa put it.
Rather than make a new thread, I'll use the excellent review tone of this page to post this story from Sky.
Roger has been doing that thing with the coat since 1979. I have no idea how this has become a news story.
I wouldn't be going to Germany to dress up as SS. But that's clearly why I'm me and he's Roger Waters!
https://news.sky.com/story/pink-floyd-s ... m-12890501