Roger Waters Money

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Roger Waters Money

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Roger's re recording of Money just came out this morning and I'm both disappointed and excited. I'm not a big fan of Roger's incredibly deep vocals but the little sections of poetry to replace the sax and guitar solos were pretty cool. It definitely doesn't compare to the original but I don't think it's meant to.

Anyways, enough of me, what do you guys think?
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Roger Waters Money

Post by Yucateco »

Love it because it is so radically different to the original
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

One of these days I'll actually listen to it in full. Managed 29 seconds first time. Second time, while amused by his "I'm sorry I'll read that again" parts. The stuff that came afterwards just bored.
If I had an accident where I was bed bound and slowly healing bones, I'd probably listen to the whole album. Plus the hospital meds would benefit enormously! YMMV
scmods
Axe
Axe

Post by scmods »

Hmmm. Well. Have to say it didn't really hold my attention at all. Maybe next time I'll notice whatever it was Roger was saying in the middle.

It would seem the re-recorded Dark Side album is likely to be filed under "whatever, nothing really wrong with it but certainly not essential".
frackman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by frackman »

we would listen to tom waits who has this deep voice from the beginning.. or leonard cohen..

but, the song belongs to him, and he can even rap on it..

but "money" means dave, period!
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've mentioned this on the 're-records Dark Side' thread already, but I think this cover is well done. For what it is. The gruff vocals are gruffer than anything I've heard from Rog before, I think. And, they were a shock. The instrumentals are very well done and the production is interesting. Having words instead of instrumental solos is an interesting gimmick, but I wonder how that will stretch across a whole album.

If I wasn't familiar with the song already, I wonder if I would have identified a melody.

But, this is an interesting cover. As mentioned, nothing like the original. It certainly brings something new to the track. But, perhaps a bit too much of the old was missed out.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Pointless as anything other than a narcissistic attempt to take sole credit for something that was a group effort, whether he wants to admit it or not.

Another dead hero walking around. *shrug*
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Money the William Shatner version sung by Roger Waters
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

My impression of the track is more positive than some others, it seems. But, the 'William Shatner' comment is absolutely bang on.