Another mystery revealed?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Another mystery revealed?

Post by ganaffe »

Call me crazy...

A few weeks ago I was sitting in a bar. I was doing some shopping with my girlfriend (yeah, some guys do that :wink: ), and we took a rest there. We hadn?t been to a record store yet, as we usually do on such occasions (mostly for my satisfaction :D ). So I was sitting there and making a list of records I was going to buy after we finished our beer.

Before I proceed I should tell you that ?The Delicate Sound Of Thunder? was my first contact with the music of Pink Floyd. Back in 1988, when I was a young boy, a friend of my parents visited us. He had a copy of it on tape and, because I was showing interest, he played it for me. Without exaggeration, it struck me like lightning, and the rest of his stay I played the tapes continually. Because I was so enthusiastic about the music, this guy gave me his tapes when he took off. Somehow I?ve never bought the album on vinyl or CD. The tapes, being my first Pink Floyd experience, become something like a relic to me that couldn?t be replaced by an original. And after that, discovering what preceded this recording, my preoccupation shifted to earlier Floyd periods. So there it is, but now back to the bar (oy, where?s the *** bar, john)?

Sitting there, making a list of records to buy, I thought it would be nice to buy the album after all (the tapes are hardly playable anymore and it would make my collection of official Floyd releases complete?). So, being used to abbreviate album titles, I planned to write DSOT on my list. But somehow I made a mistake and wrote DSOTM.
A little later, going over the list again, I noticed the mistake and crossed out the M. DSOTM? DSOT? Could this be coincidence? I didn?t think so! Where the hell did the M go? Another great Floyd-mystery unanswered?
:-k
I just started messing around with things a little bit? well to cut the story short here?s the math that I came up with in the end:

The starting point:
DSOTM
DSOT

Some of my additional thoughts:
The fact that the M is missing points to a theme of absence, the absence of Roger perhaps?
The missing M is the fifth character of the abbreviation DSOTM. Is it possible that the number 5 is the key?
Counting upwards from DSOTM, the fifth offical Floyd release is AMLOR. The first album after Roger?s departure. Roger again!

Now we have 2 times the number 5 and the missing M? and some links to Roger. Let?s do a little alphabet counting. Take the missing M as a starting point and make 2 times a jump of 5 characters?

The result:
M n o p q R s t u v W
Missing M :arrow: missing R.W.
Yep, the initials of Roger Waters!

Am I finally gone insane? Am I a genius? Is this coincidence or not? In fact I don?t really care. Even if it is coincidence I like the trick. It?s just my little addition to the mysterious universe of Pink Floyd. 8)
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

:-s No, thats a perfectly logical train of thought. psycho :lol:
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

zolly wrote: psycho
Yep, I am, and proud of it :shock:
I do things like this :arrow: ](*,) for fun
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

ganaffe wrote:
zolly wrote: psycho
Yep, I am, and proud of it :shock:
I do things like this :arrow: ](*,) for fun
I go a little crazy every once in a while... its good for you!
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Where is Scully and Mulder when you need them..........
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

quicksilver wrote:Where is Scully and Mulder when you need them..........
searching Roger Waters father...
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

I think you were sniffing airplane glue with Meddler, there... :lol:
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

I don't know nothing about no airplane glue :-;
But i had had a few, is should admit that...

Didn't buy DSOT that day, btw. Still haven't. But since i posted here today about my moment of true enlightenment, i'm listening to my old tapes again. Sorrow is on right now, still like that song, especially the guitar parts [-D-]
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It reminds me a bit of R.PITI's "The Theory"...since he's not here to explain, I shall butcher it myself.

The first Pink Floyd album with "The" in the title is, of course, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. The word "The" does not appear in another album title until The Dark Side Of The Moon. And again until The Wall...The Final Cut...and The Division Bell.

Now...R.PITI's theory states that it appears that the word "The" appearing in an album title represents the ending of Floydian Phases.

Phase One (the beginning, as it were,) ends with The Dark Side Of The Moon...which is pretty much the culmination of everything that came before it.

Of course, it could be argued that Phase One ended when Syd left the band, but just stay with me on this.

Phase Two ends with The Wall. By this time, Rick is out and Roger's control is almost total.

Phase Three (a very short phase) ends with Roger's total control and Nick and Dave's roles in the band reduced to sidemen.

Phase Four ends with The Division Bell, which (in another theory entriely) is a summation of the band's history and would make a fitting goodbye.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Next album should be called "The End" ;) jk... Pretty interesting though.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

ooohhh... i love those theories :) gimme more...

in regard of "the theory" (or should I say "the the theory"?): I think in this line of reason, saucerful should actually be called "The Saucerful of Secrets... since it somehow is the beginning of the Syd-less phase.

To overcome this problem it could be argued that since the title starts with an article "A", it should in fact be "the article theory"...

:-k
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

How about any album starting with: A, The, La, is a transformation to the next level. And the Dark Side of the Moon, is just called DSOTM with no 'the' infront of it. But because there is such a place as 'the' Dark Side of the Moon, I think it should work. Anything that is an object I guess is what Im trying to say.

The Piper, A Saucer (last album with Syd), La Valley (last album before dsotm), The Animals (last album with everyone 'else' participating), The Wall, The Final Cut, The Division Bell... and for a limited time only you get A Nice Pair, The Relics, The Works, A Collection of Great Dance Songs... :P

Edited by Me. *Added more descriptions on Saucer and Animals ;)
Last edited by Meddler on Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Meddler wrote: The Animals (last album with everyone participating)
:? hmmmm... I didn't know Syd was participating in the making of Animals :lol:

Edited by Me: I humbly withdraw
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Meddler wrote: And the Dark Side of the Moon, is just called DSOTM with no 'the' infront of it.

Actually, my oldest vinyl copy of the album features a sticker on the cover that identifies the album as "THE Dark Side Of The Moon."

As for the point about ASOS...I don't think the "The Theory" bothers with Syd's departure marking a different phase of the band. As I recall, it just considered everything from TPATGOD through OBC to be the "beginning" phase with TDSOTM considered as the culmination of all previous albums by PF.

But it's really R.PITI's theory...we'd have to ask him.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

something I noticed re Saucerful - the part of the name that's disapering off the side