Pink Floyds Moon Landing Song

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ahaseurus
Embryo
Embryo

Pink Floyds Moon Landing Song

Post by ahaseurus »

On the eve of the first manned moon landing in July '69, I recollect seeing a speculative (BBC?) TV program called (I think) "What If It Is Really Made Of Green Cheese". I recall that The Floyd made an appearance on this and played one number. Can anyone provide any more info on this?

As a new member to the forum, I apologise if this topic has been covered earlier, but perhaps someone could point me in the direction of the appropriate thread.

(I changed the title to get more people interested-Meddler :) )
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I dont think it has been brought up before ahaseurus, so no worries, and welcome to the forum!

I have a track from a Roio called Pink Floyd Anthology II 67-73

MOONHEAD 5:26
original soundtrack from "NASA APOLLO 11" BBC program 1969

A instrumental piece used as underscore for BBC's covering of the first moon-landing July 20, 1969. The song has also been known as 'Trip On Mars'.

I can rip if anyone is interested...
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Meddler wrote:I can rip if anyone is interested...
You bet :D
Never heard it, but I would love to. What's it like?
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Its kinda mellow but picks up at the end, and reminds me of a surf melody.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Is it possible to put it in the dl-section for a few days? [-o<
I would like to hear it! Or do you think it's easily available on Kazaa or Slsk?
ahaseurus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ahaseurus »

Thanks for the info Meddler. For 34 years I've had nothing more than a sketchy, dimly-remembered awareness about this track and I'd love to hear it again.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

I have Moonhead on a cd, I quite like it, though the sound quality is terrible. The same bass theme was also a part of The Violence Sequence live in the early 1970 and a similar (if not the same) bass line is in the middle part of Money (during the guitar solo).
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Flame-Sky Diver wrote:The same bass theme was also a part of The Violence Sequence live in the early 1970 and a similar (if not the same) bass line is in the middle part of Money (during the guitar solo).
That's exactly why I like tracks like these so much. You can hear precursors of what later would evolve into different songs. Couldn't find it with p2p up till now. So Meddler, or anyone else who owns it and can help me out, I'm still interested in the track! Thanks in advance. [-o<
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Yeah, I know I heard this recording years ago, but don't remember it at all. I would love to hear it and agree that it would be nice to have as a DL at this site.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

To anyone who is still interested in this song:

Pompeii posted a link to a PF site where you can get it. The link is in the 'chat about roios' forum - title 'roios of pink floyd' - author 'pompeii'

When you follow that link you can find it on the album 'around the mystic' the song is called 'trip on mars moonhead 1969'

Happy downloading :D

Thanks for the link pompeii [-D-]
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Is it the same moonhead playd during the man and the journey?
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

Moonhead wasn't played during the man and the journey, perhaps you're thinking of celestial voices.

1 - daybreak
2- work
3 - tea
4- afternoon
5 - doing it
6 - sleep
7 - cymabline
8 - daybreak reprise

1 - the beginning
2 - beset by creatures of the deep
3 - the narrow way
4 - the pink jungle
5 - some randomly thrown together song, labyrinths of auximenes i think.
6 - behold the temple of light
7 - celestial voices

That's what i remember from it. Moonhead was also called corrosion, for some reason, and played during a couple concerts in the november of 1970, and also during the violent sequence in the earlier part of 1970.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

It says on echoes faq that behold the temple of light was also called moonhead. Must not be the same then
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Alternative 4 wrote:It says on echoes faq that behold the temple of light was also called moonhead. Must not be the same then
Just listened to them both, the songs seems to be based on the same idea, the "twangy" guitar parts are somewhat similar and the mood and the basic lay-out are the same, so I guess you're right.
Fox-Mike
Blade
Blade

Post by Fox-Mike »

Behold the Temple of Light was more based off of the Nile Song and Ibiza Bar than moonhead. For some reason, i can't help but feel a little careful with that axe eugene in moonhead.