Embryo

drug-oriented band?

Post by marinhoreino »

are the floyd a drug-oriented band?
HauntFox
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HauntFox »

As far as I know only Syd Barrett did drugs when he was in the band. And I also heard after The Wall, Richard Wright was kicked out of the band for his cocaine addiction.
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

They aren't and weren't addicts (except for Syd). Some people say their music (and lyrics) is drug-inspired. I just think they have a great imagination.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Re: drug-oriented band?

Post by seamusz »

marinhoreino wrote:are the floyd a drug-oriented band?
As in orientated around drugs... I would have to say definately not. Although they have all dabbled in drugs, and some songs have references (mostly vague), they were a music orientated band. They were about expirimenting with sound.
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

Probably some of the band members have used drugs, I don't know and honestly don't care (even though I don't like drugs), they are a GREAT music oriented band and that's what really matters.

Iv
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

To quote David Gilmour "Course were not,you can trust us!!!"
This is a bad misconception about the Floyd,apart from Syd of course,but the fact is The Beatles were a more drug oriented band than Pink Floyd.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Yeah, just because something sounds so freaking awesome when you're high doesnt mean they are a drug band...
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

Dave and Roger both admitted to smoking weed and hash. Roger said he's smoked hash for two years in 1972 to try to quit smoking...and he admitted to doing a little LSD in the 60s...But, anyways, this doesn't make them bad people...And, yes, I agree that thier music is musically influenced, and not drug influenced...And, that they are just strongly creative...And brilliant and they create a brilliant and interesting sound...That all listeners that listen to Floyd will know its the Floyd...As rick says!!!!!
TheVegetableMan
Axe
Axe

Post by TheVegetableMan »

I read some where a long time ago (think it was during Rogers 84 tour) that he had admitted dropping ACID while in NYC once and the experiance was most unplesant for him and he never did it again.

But, if you watch the POMPEII DVD......in the black and white footage Roger and Dave both admit to smoking a little bit before going on stage to relax. They probably shared less than half a jont between them.

I never really considered the band to be heavy drug users.

People have the same misconception about Frank Zappa
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

Hey, tell me the name of any rock superstar from the late 60's who never used at least once one illegal substance and I won't believe you.

Iv
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

THEY NEVER TOOK DRUGS! THEY WERE DRUGS!!!
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Ivan_2068 wrote:Hey, tell me the name of any rock superstar from the late 60's who never used at least once one illegal substance and I won't believe you.

Iv?n
Katri Helena, Marion Rung and Alla Pugatsova!
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

JML wrote:
Ivan_2068 wrote:Hey, tell me the name of any rock superstar from the late 60's who never used at least once one illegal substance and I won't believe you.

Iv?n
Katri Helena, Marion Rung and Alla Pugatsova!
well, they are so rock&roll.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Diin Jaffa wrote:
JML wrote:Katri Helena, Marion Rung and Alla Pugatsova!
well, they are so rock&roll.
8) Haven't you heard when Katri sings her live-version of Katson Sineen Taivaan, it's pure orgastic heavy! :lol: :lol:
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Gonzo wrote:THEY NEVER TOOK DRUGS! THEY WERE DRUGS!!!
I second that!!! (Substitute "are" for "were"...)

Besides, what difference would it make? Would you enjoy their music any less if they were all heroin addicts? I think they came through the 60's, 70's, and 80's quite gracefully, when you look at some of their peers- At least they had the smarts to do whatever they DID do in a discreet manner... After all, it's really nobody's business but their own.